Python demonstration code for reading EDF files

Joseph Picone

Jul 17, 2019, 12:05:54 AM7/17/19
to nedc_tuh_eeg
At this URL:

https://www.isip.piconepress.com/projects/tuh_eeg/downloads/nedc_pystream/

you will find Python code that demonstrates how to correctly read and
EDF file and retrieve the correct channels.

This process is described in this document:

https://www.isip.piconepress.com/publications/reports/2019/tuh_eeg/electrodes/

The Python code is self-contained and portable. It supports a very
flexible interface for specifying which channels to read and for
applying a montage.

Enjoy,

-Joe

Joseph Picone

Jul 17, 2019, 4:30:48 AM7/17/19
to nedc_tuh_eeg
I think people missed the point of this message. There are many packages
out there that claim to read EDF files. In fact, our code uses pyedflib
to read the EDF file. We are not advocating one over the other or
suggesting this code is a replacement for these packages.

Our software release addresses two important issues:

- accessing channels by channel label: you must do this if
you want to read the data properly. Channels are not in the same
order and are not always labeled the same way.

- implementing montages, such as a TCP montage: we provide a
specific example of what a TCP montage is.

If you are not familiar with these issues, please read this document:

https://www.isip.piconepress.com/publications/reports/2019/tuh_eeg/electrodes/

If you are not taking care of these things in your code, you are
probably running your experiments incorrectly :(

-Joe

=====