Ourprevious Legacy Search has been discontinued. Please use the new search database. While we have added most of the records to the new search, this remains a work in progress, and we will continue to publish records in the weeks to come. Keep in mind that this search is not all-inclusive. If you do not find the desired results in the database, it does not necessarily mean that the record is not held at the archives. Feel free to place a records request and we will search for you! Thank you for your patience during this transition.
As of July 1, 2024, all digital resources provided or procured by the Department of Personnel & Administration (DPA) must meet all applicable Level A and AA success criteria of the current non-draft version of the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG). This includes all websites, software, and other information and communication technology (ICT) created, provided, managed, or maintained by third-parties (vendors and contractors). Learn more at Public Notice to All DPA Vendors & Contractors.
The Archive Center provides additional reference services to Native and Indigenous community members, scholars, researchers, journalists, museum staff, and the general public. The Archive Center is in the NMAI Cultural Resources Center in Suitland, Maryland, and is open to researchers by appointment. Appointments must be scheduled a minimum of five business days in advance. To schedule an in-person research appointment with the Archive Center, email
nmaiar...@si.edu.
Archives exist both to preserve historic materials and to make them available for use. This guide addresses the second purpose by outlining the functions and procedures of archives, and is designed both for first-time archives users and scholars who have already conducted research in archives. The content covers:
The Human Studies Film Archives (HSFA) provides access to over 8 million feet of ethnographic film. Started in 1975, we have been part of the Smithsonian Department of Anthropology since 1981, and hold films from filmmakers such as Timothy Asch, Jorge Preloran, David MacDougall, and John Marshall. The film archives supports research on visual culture, humans in the natural world, and the development of ethnographic film.
Both archives are open by appointment, typically Wednesday-Friday from 9:30am-3:30pm. Please schedule your visit well in advance, to ensure we have space and time to pull the materials you request, especially if they are stored offsite!
We are currently pausing the acqusition of new collections through at least September 2024, while we update the scope and focus on our archives. Feel free to reach out to our archivists at
n...@si.edu or
hs...@si.edu with any questions, or to request a collections proposal form and donation guidelines to review.
This search guide will help you locate materials in our two catalogs: Collections Search, which searches across Smithsonian archives, libraries, and museum collections, and SOVA, which searches collections across the Smithsonian's 14 archives.
These guides are intended to make it easier for you to find collections related to Indigenous languages and cultures. These are a snapshot from one moment in time. Because we are still cataloging and describing our collections, we may not yet know about every relevant collection completely and accurately. We welcome input from Native and indigenous community members to improve these guides, and will work to incorporate these edits into our catalog and access policies as we have staff capacity. Guides available to date include:
The Louisiana State Archives, a division of the Louisiana Secretary of State's office, is mandated to identify, to collect, to preserve, to maintain and to make available those records and artifacts that enhance our endeavors to understand the dynamics and nuances of our state's remarkable history.
Created by the State Legislature in 1956 as the official repository for the state's historical records, the State Archives has called many places home since its conception. The "first" State Archives was located in Peabody Hall at Louisiana State University, a dilapidated structure slated for demolition by the State Fire Marshal's office. This was home for the state's official records until 1966 when the State Archives relocated to a former warehouse on Choctaw Boulevard in the industrial section of Baton Rouge. This facility was likewise not suitable for the proper preservation of the state's documentary heritage. In the early 1980s, following an extensive lobbying campaign, the legislature funded construction of a new State Archives building on Essen Lane. In August 1987, this state of the art facility was officially opened. Designed by architect John Desmond, the building was hailed as one of the foremost archival facilities in the nation.
The five-panel facade on the Louisiana State Archives building in Baton Rouge has become one of the state's most popular tourist attractions since the building opened in August 1987. These five panels, sculpted by noted Baton Rouge artist Al Lavergne, offer a panoramic "study in stone" of Louisiana's unique history both as a colony and as a state. Read more about the historical panels.
In August 1997, the Louisiana State Archives celebrated the tenth anniversary of the move to its new facility on Essen Lane in Baton Rouge. The formidable white fortress-like structure is one of the nation's most advanced archival repositories. The facility was built with some of the most advanced building systems of its time designed to provide climate controlled areas for state-of-the-art archival storage. The building, however, stands in stark contrast to the State Archive's first fifty years in existence.
Prior to 1936, no state archives existed. Neither was there any other public agency designated to fulfill the function of directing a program of collecting, preserving, and making available for use the state's historical records. Louisiana had come well into the twentieth century with scant attention paid to its official documentary heritage and with apparent lack of concern for its recorded legacy. This shortcoming was especially egregious considering the rich history of the state. No other state possessed the volume and variety of European colonial and American territorial records that existed in Louisiana.
In 1935, however, the activities of one man resulted in an impressive step forward for Louisiana's historical records. Dr. Edwin A. Davis of the History Department at Louisiana State University (LSU) convinced the administration of the University that they should establish and fund an independent Department of Archives and Manuscripts to collect and preserve archival materials. Dr. Davis was subsequently appointed director of the university archives. Dr. Davis' concern for the subject was contagious enough to influence lawmakers at the next regular session of the state legislature. During the regular session of 1936, Dr. Davis was able to secure passage of legislation which enabled the university archives to act as repository for the public records of state government. Act 258 empowered the university to collect state documents and authorized officials to turn over records to it.
The LSU Archives had thus become a quasi-state archives, collecting the records of state government on a passive basis. The university would fill that role for twenty years. Davis continued to direct the activities of the university archives and its growing collection of state records. The 1936 law had provided for the State Printing Office to print and furnish to the archives one hundred copies of any report or other official publication required by any state agency. Two notable exceptions to this requirement were the reports of the Louisiana Supreme Court and the Acts and Journals of the legislature. During the 1940 regular session of the legislature, further changes were made to the public records law. Act 195 of 1940 expanded the definition of what constituted a public record. The law stipulated that virtually all records generated for the conduct of business under the authority of the State of Louisiana were declared to be public records. Provisions were also made for expanded access by the public to its government's records and custodians were now mandated to maintain those documents for twelve years. Taken together, the legislative initiatives of 1936 and 1940 created a volume of documents flowing into the LSU Archives that had not been anticipated by Davis. The problem had to be solved by the state government itself.
In 1954, Davis took temporary leave of his post at LSU to spearhead the effort to establish a viable state archives. Using the considerable experience he had gained during his participation in the New Deal's Historic Records Survey in the state, Davis took on the task of becoming the chief consultant to the Louisiana Archives Survey. The survey was conducted between 1954 and 1956, and constituted a census of records produced by the government of the state. It was during that period that Davis secured passage of legislation establishing a governmental entity officially responsible for the collection, care and use of public records. The State Archives and Records Act (Act 337 of the 1956 Regular Session) expanded further the provisions of the Public Records Act of 1940 and established the State Archives and Records Service as an independent agency under the aegis of the State Archives and Records Commission. The Commission was composed of the Secretary of State, the Attorney General, and the State Auditor.
This legislative success was foreshadowed quickly by an event prophetic of the difficulties yet to come: Act 337 was duly signed into law but operating funds were vetoed by Governor Earl Long. Dogged determination on the part of Dr. Davis and John C.L. Andreassen, the State Archives' first director and former head of the Historic Records Survey in Louisiana, resulted in an emergency appropriation of $43,140 from the Board of Liquidation. In addition to this lack of funds, location was rapidly becoming a problem. At the time, most of the records in the custody of the State Archives were being stored in metal warehouses behind the Capitol Annex. Construction of River Road behind the Annex required the removal of these warehouses and the relocation of the records within. Borrowed space in the Capitol building enabled the fledgling agency to survive until the next legislative session when the State Archives would receive its first regular appropriation. With its first predictable source of revenue, the State Archives moved into Peabody Hall on the old LSU campus adjacent to the Capitol.
3a8082e126