Dukes Leaving

Jay Saunders

May 27, 2003, 12:50:29 PM5/27/03

Lost in the "thrilling" discussion about who called
who a rat is some actual analysis of what this does
for the quarterback position.

If you polled 10 husker fans, more than half would say
they aren't sold on Jamaal Lord. And what happens if
he is hurt? I know Mike Stuntz may be a pretty good
QB, but we haven't seen him at all.

Bottom line: There is just NO depth at this position.
Lord is a senior, Brent Lindstrom is a senior, and
Stuntz is a junior. Does anyone else see a problem
with this?

Are there any solutions? Or am I just being a rat for
bringing this up?

Jay Saunders
Wichita, KS

http://search.yahoo.com

EriK schRIDE

May 27, 2003, 1:20:01 PM5/27/03

:
:Bottom line: There is just NO depth at this position.

:Lord is a senior, Brent Lindstrom is a senior, and
:Stuntz is a junior. Does anyone else see a problem
:with this?

Well, a defining "no depth" isn't exactly accurate.
Perhaps you're concerned with the ability level of the candidates?
-Lord could be thought of as erratic.
-Stuntz fumbled some snaps during the spring
-Lindstrom....as Tom Osborne said about Matt Turman, "He's not the worst
we've got."
You've mentioned 3 qb candidates ....and failed to mention Joe Daily.
Also current receiver, Mike McGlaughlin (sp?) was a qb at Millard North,
perhaps this will lead to a change back to qb for him?

-schRIDE
"No--I said, 'Look at the size of Mike Ditka'"

Bob Beach

May 27, 2003, 3:23:44 PM5/27/03

======= At 2003-05-27, 09:50:00 Jay Saunders wrote: =======

:Bottom line: There is just NO depth at this position.
:Lord is a senior, Brent Lindstrom is a senior, and
:Stuntz is a junior. Does anyone else see a problem
:with this?

:
:Are there any solutions? Or am I just being a rat for

:bringing this up?
:
:
:Jay Saunders
:Wichita, KS

:

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

I think you absolutely correct. If we speak in terms of bodies that play the QB position there is depth. If we speak in terms of talent, experience, and leadership we are not in good shape. I may feel differently if it was spring ball we are headed into. But the next step is fall practice. Unless someone steps up from somewhere totally unexpected I see a problem at QB especially if Lord goes down.

Best regards,
Bob Beach
rrb...@rrbeach.com
2003-05-27

David Levy

May 27, 2003, 2:31:38 PM5/27/03

--0-1464656214-1054060298=:79957

Don't forget the savior-to-be Joe Dailey, incoming freshman. (At least some sarcasm intended). While Dailey may turn out to be great, relying on a true freshman who is not yet even on campus for your QB depth is not exactly reassuring.

Bob Beach <rrb...@rrbeach.com> wrote:

--0-1464656214-1054060298=:79957--

Bob Beach

May 27, 2003, 3:50:52 PM5/27/03

======= At 2003-05-27, 11:31:00 David Levy wrote: =======

:Don't forget the savior-to-be Joe Dailey, incoming freshman. (At least some sarcasm intended). While Dailey may turn out to be great, relying on a true freshman who is not yet even on campus for your QB depth is not exactly reassuring.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

I know I have posted a lot today but there are weeks that go by I rarely post. I am just playing catch up. ;-)

We heard the same thing last year when people were calling for Dukes. Maybe there are people out there that know about Dukes. From strictly a football viewpoint I don't know anything about Dukes. I have never seen him take a snap. I have no idea if he could have done the job or not. Because of that I really don't know how his leaving will affect the Huskers.

jonlists

May 27, 2003, 6:23:28 PM5/27/03

You're being a rat for bringing it up.... <G>

If you polled 10 Husker coaches, I'm sure that 10 of them would state that
Jammal Lord is the starting QB for the Nebraska Cornhuskers. Okay, maybe
nine.

What do fans know about QB's - a darned high percentage of them didn't
like Scott Frost, didn't like Eric Crouch when he started. Heck, a lot of
fans still don't like them even after everything they accomplished!

I'm still holding out hope for Jammal Lord as being a very very good
Nebraska QB. What's that mean? That means, given his position in the
history of the program, he'll finish behind Frazier, Crouch, and Frost (no
order here) as being one of the best of the best.

Now, if Lord gets injured, well - that's why we'd damned well better have
a more experienced and better offensive line. <G>
Seriously, if Lord goes down, at this point, without seeing how the
coaching and mindset changes affect the team, I'd say we can have at best
a .500 year.

I watched Stuntz during the last part of the ISU game last year. He
appeared to have a better game than Lord that day, but by the time he was
in, the game was already over. He's been around long enough to know the
offense well enough to run it, but he's not good enough to carry the team
the way that Jammal Lord did last year.

Nebraska fans by and large tend to get all bent out of shape about who the
next saviour is, and have a tendency to dislike someone who's a senior,
especially if they've lost any games. None of the guys listed fits the
category of saviour, in fact, none of them has ever had that role.

Bottom line:

If Lord stays healthy, we're okay, he's a good QB and now has a year of
experience on the field.

If Lord is injured for more than a game, Stuntz should be able to run the
offense at least well enough for us to win games. If not, the rest of the
team isn't doing their job.

Jon Johnston
Creative Business Solutions
IBM, Lotus, Microsoft Consultants
http://www.cbsol.com
952-544-1108

Jay Saunders <jaydsa...@yahoo.com> wrote on 05/27/2003 11:50:29 AM:

[...]

: __________________________________
: Do you Yahoo!?

: The New Yahoo! Search - Faster. Easier. Bingo.

: http://search.yahoo.com
:
: To unsubscribe from this list, send e-mail to:
husker-un...@tssi.com
:

: ForwardSourceID:NT00039102

DJ

May 28, 2003, 4:52:32 PM5/28/03
Lord may end up being a better "Qaurterback" than Frosty or Crouch and
I suspect him to stay healthy. He seems like a tough kid and I like
how he stays calm under pressure.
I like that Duke isn't in the picture anymore, now Stuntz knows his
place and will perform to his abilities if called upon. I must admit,
I don't like the "Huskers" but they are fun to watch play.

Glen Heiman

May 28, 2003, 10:26:40 PM5/28/03

"jonlists" <jonl...@cbsol.com> wrote in message

> You're being a rat for bringing it up.... <G>
>
> If you polled 10 Husker coaches, I'm sure that 10 of them would state that
> Jammal Lord is the starting QB for the Nebraska Cornhuskers. Okay, maybe
> nine.
>
> What do fans know about QB's - a darned high percentage of them didn't
> like Scott Frost, didn't like Eric Crouch when he started. Heck, a lot of
> fans still don't like them even after everything they accomplished!
>
> I'm still holding out hope for Jammal Lord as being a very very good
> Nebraska QB. What's that mean? That means, given his position in the
> history of the program, he'll finish behind Frazier, Crouch, and Frost (no
> order here) as being one of the best of the best.

I hope you're right! But the signs (IMHO) don't point that way.

Frazier, Crouch, and Frost had trouble their first years as starters. At
least in the early games. Especially, getting the timing down and getting
adept at making those quick carry or pitch decisions. But, by the end of
the season, or sooner, all were seasoned veterans and very skilled @ running
the Husker option.. Even most of the Frost bashers had to concede that he
was the guy.

Furthermore, Frazier and Crouch started as Freshman. Frost started
immediately after his year of gaining eligibility. All had their problems
that they had to overcome: Frazier (blood clots), Frost (Fan's booing and
lack of support), Crouch (Newcombe, and rumors of transferring).

OTOH! Lord has had ample time on the bench to learn the system and get some
(not a lot) of playing time at QB.
He has shown signs of brilliance (ex. running and passing long). Yet, at
the end of his first year of QB, he was nowhere near the level of overall
competency as any of the BiG 3 who preceded him and is unconvincing that
this will change. The fans' optimism is on a different level with Lord.
Too many drives have stalled with Lord in charge.

I just hope that the personnel changes made since last season will make a
difference. And yes, I realize that the Big Three had a better supporting
cast--------------but then, they also helped elevate that supporting cast.

Heiman

Steve Reichenbach

May 29, 2003, 7:40:33 AM5/29/03
danie...@offutt.af.mil (DJ) writes:

>Lord may end up being a better "Qaurterback" than Frosty or Crouch and
>I suspect him to stay healthy. He seems like a tough kid and I like
>how he stays calm under pressure.

Anything is in the realm of "may", but it would be something if Lord
had the sort of year that Frost did. Frost was a very effective passer,
at one point throwing an incredible number of consecutive passes without
an interception, and ran the option about as well as it can be run.
And, he led his team to a national championship. Frost may have had
the best year any Nebraska QB ever had. I hope Lord has a better year
than that.

Kipp C. Kruse

May 29, 2003, 10:05:59 AM5/29/03

:
:
:Anything is in the realm of "may", but it would be something if Lord

:had the sort of year that Frost did. Frost was a very effective passer,
:at one point throwing an incredible number of consecutive passes without
:an interception, and ran the option about as well as it can be run.
:And, he led his team to a national championship. Frost may have had
:the best year any Nebraska QB ever had. I hope Lord has a better year
:than that.

Hope Springs Eternal!!

I hope so too...but I doubt it--nothing and I mean nothing, leads me to
believe that J. Lord can lead the team.

The O-line better improve a lot and the D better be able to stop some
people or this season could be even uglier than last.

Kipp C. Kruse, Ph.D.
Professor and Chair--Biological Sciences
600 Lincoln Avenue
Eastern Illinois University
Charleston, IL 61920

PHONE: 217/581-3126
FAX: 217/581-7141
e-mail: cf...@eiu.edu
http://www.eiu.edu/~biology

"Where observation is concerned, chance favors
only the prepared mind"--L. Pasteur (1854)

This message and any attachments are confidential, may contain privileged
information, and are intended solely for the recipient named above. If you
are not the intended recipient, or a person responsible for delivery to the
named recipient, you are notified that any review, distribution,
dissemination or copying is prohibited. If you have received this message
in error, you should notify the sender by return email and delete the
message from your computer system.

DJ

May 29, 2003, 10:30:24 AM5/29/03
Glen,
Your last line says volumes...and this year may be tougher for him than last.
Maybe the defense will step up.
-DJ

Bob Beach

May 29, 2003, 11:30:44 AM5/29/03

======= At 2003-05-29, 06:40:00 Steve Reichenbach wrote: =======

:Anything is in the realm of "may", but it would be something if Lord
:had the sort of year that Frost did. Frost was a very effective passer,
:at one point throwing an incredible number of consecutive passes without
:an interception, and ran the option about as well as it can be run.
:And, he led his team to a national championship. Frost may have had
:the best year any Nebraska QB ever had. I hope Lord has a better year
:than that.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

I agree. If Lord has a better senior season than Frost he may very well be a Heisman candidate. I have always said Frost had the best senior season of any QB that ever played at NU.

Best regards,
Bob Beach
rrb...@rrbeach.com

2003-05-29

Christopher Coleman

May 29, 2003, 11:36:59 AM5/29/03

You may be right, Bob...but I've always said that Gerry Gdowski's senior
season in 1989 was the best I've witnessed at Nebraska -- with a fair amount
less talent around him than Frost had.

--Chris Coleman, Husker Meteorologist

:From: "Bob Beach" <rrb...@rrbeach.com>
:To: hus...@tssi.com
:Subject: Re: [Husker] Re: Dukes Leaving
:Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 9:30:44 -0600
:
:
:= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

:
: I agree. If Lord has a better senior season than Frost he may very well
:be a Heisman candidate. I have always said Frost had the best senior
:season of any QB that ever played at NU.
:
:
:Best regards,
:Bob Beach
:rrb...@rrbeach.com
:2003-05-29

:
:
:
:
:
:

DKa...@aol.com

May 29, 2003, 4:22:37 PM5/29/03

--part1_103.2f21fe91.2c07c60d_boundary

In a message dated 5/29/2003 8:10:56 AM Mountain Standard Time,
cf...@ux1.cts.eiu.edu writes:

: [N]othing and I mean nothing, leads me to believe that J. Lord can lead the
: team.
:
If you mean the intangible qualities of leadership, then it's hard to argue
with - they are the sort of thing you really can't see from the stands or on
TV. But if you mean the ability to make plays, then I think your assessment is
too harsh. While Lord is not Scott Frost or Tommie Frasier, he did have some
good games and many spectacular plays last season. With better support, I think
the kid could have a very solid season this year. Note I said "could" not
"will"; I don't think anything is certain, one way or the other.

Dick Karre
dka...@aol.com

--part1_103.2f21fe91.2c07c60d_boundary--

Gern Blanston

May 30, 2003, 12:45:02 AM5/30/03
Ya know, I just have to believe that in order for JLo to perform well our
O-Line must improve. Lord hasn't made quick passing decisions, and coupled
with a quickly collapsing pocket we may see many drives stall. To me it is
so imperative that the OL work well, so that even the Turmanator could look
good, that I have the butterflies in my stomach just thinking about fall. I
think we need the pass to set up the run.

"Christopher Coleman" <huskerwe...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Answerman

May 30, 2003, 3:55:43 AM5/30/03

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_np=0&u_pg=38&u_sid=756177

In football they say it is not the x's and o's but the Jimmys and Joes. This
could be a great hire and put Barry over the top.

Geri

Bob Beach

May 30, 2003, 11:11:21 AM5/30/03

======= At 2003-05-30, 01:55:00 Answerman wrote: =======

:http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_np=0&u_pg=38&u_sid=756177

:
:
:In football they say it is not the x's and o's but the Jimmys and Joes. This
:could be a great hire and put Barry over the top.
:
:Geri

I sincerely hope you are right but there is a lot of work to do. From where Barry sits he can't even see the top much less worry about getting over it. The big problem is it won't happen over night. Will the fans, or more to the point Steve Pederson, be patient enough to give them another 3-5 years? This last season wasn't just an off year. It was the worst season I've witnessed since before Joe Cipriano got here in the 60's. But then, they might. At least among the fans there is a lot of apathy con
cerning the men's basketball program right now.

Best regards,
Bob Beach
rrb...@rrbeach.com

2003-05-30