[Husker] Well, it got worse

Pat Gaule

Oct 7, 2007, 1:47:55 AM10/7/07
It's still obvious Cosgrove needs to go. The offense certainly
contributed to the defensive collapse, but the defense still managed to
give up 600 yards. You can't pin all of that entirely on the offensive
ineptitude (don't get me wrong, the offense also shares a lot of the
blame for this abysmal performance, and I will address that later in
this post).

Cosgrove is beyond redemption at this point. Even if people want to
give him more chances, I have no confidence that his defenses won't fail
time and time again. Do they fire him in the middle of the season?
Probably not, but unlike a few weeks ago, I no longer care if they do.
The downside is they would just replace him with an interim coach
(somebody already on the staff), so it probably wouldn't have much of an
effect this season. In any event, it's probably a moot point because I
think it will be addressed at the end of the season. If it isn't, then
the problems with NU's athletic department run even deeper than I imagined.

A few weeks ago, I posted similar comments about Cosgrove after the Ball
State game. However, I said that the only thing holding Callahan back
at this point was Cosgrove's defense. I said that his offense looked
fine (for the most part). However, I can't justify that after watching
this abomination.. Nebraska went up against a team ranked 92nd in total
defense. They managed 274 total yards against a defense that gave up
434 yards per game coming into this contest. They managed 6 measly
points against a team that gave up 25 points per game. That is beyond
pathetic, and there is no excuse for it in the 4th year of Callahan's
tenure. There is especially no excuse for it after signing such a long
contract extension.

I can't think of a reason (outside of the ridiculous contract extension
that Pedey inked) for continuing this experiment that has failed so many
times already. This program is no longer mediocre...Nebraska football's
program in shambles. I would go so far as to say that Notre Dame has a
brighter future than Nebraska at this point. Despite only having 1 win
this year, I feel that Charlie Weiss will get that program back to
respectability. I cannot say the same for Callahan. And that pains me
to say because I do not like Notre Dame at all. The sad reality is that
Nebraska would not have faired much better against Notre Dame's schedule
to this point. It's possible they wouldn't have even beat UCLA. I only
mention this because I've seen posts on other boards
(*cough*huskerpedia*cough) where people say stuff like "At least we're
not Notre Dame." Sorry folks, but this program is in no better shape
than it was before Callahan got here. Mr. Pederson's now infamous sound
bytes proclaiming, "We won't surrender this conference to Texas and
Oklahoma" and "We will not gravitate toward mediocrity" sound extremely
stupid in year 4 of this experiment.

We still need 2 wins to become bowl eligible, and there is a reasonable
chance that won't happen. I do not see us winning any of our remaining
road contests. I think we will win 2 out of 3 remaining home games, but
that is far from guaranteed. A 6-6 or 7-5 season seems very probable
I expected a loss tonight, but what transpired just makes me sick. I
don't know what to call this any more, but this is not Nebraska
football. It is a sad parody of what I knew growing up in Nebraska.

For what it's worth, it looks like Nebraska's defense will now be
averaging 441 ypg in total defense, which should put them around 95th in
the country. I wonder if that is a record for a Husker defense.

Duane Feldman

Oct 7, 2007, 9:33:31 AM10/7/07
Pat, even before this fiasco, NU's defense was the worst in NU history. at=
400 ypg defense, no other NU team had given up more, not even the teams of=
the 49's and 50's with few wins all year. Now statistically the defense i=
s even worse.=0A=0Ait is clear to me that Coz needs to be replaced at the e=
nd of the year. If BC won't replace him, then BC must go. If SP won't rep=
lace BC, the SP must go. If HP refuses to force those changes, then Harvey=
needs to be gone.=0A=0AIF I were coach (and I am not), On D, I would consi=
der keeping Busch although perhaps as recruiting coordinator. Not sure abo=
ut Wyatt. Elmo and Coz are out. I'm less certain about the O side of the =
staff.=0A=0AAs an aside, did anyone notice that Buffalo (w/ Turner Gill as =
coach) beat Ohio (w/ Solich as coach) yesterday? Turner is making some hea=
dway.=0A=0ADuane Feldman=0A=0A=0A----- Original Message ----=0AFrom: Pat Ga=
ule pga...@cox.net=0A=0A.=0A=0AFor what it's worth, it looks like Nebraska'=
s defense will now be =0Aaveraging 441 ypg in total defense, which should p=
ut them around 95th in =0Athe country. I wonder if that is a record for a =
usker

todd strong

Oct 7, 2007, 2:53:56 PM10/7/07
Busch or Callahan, one or the other, will be gone soon. That's my
prediction. I heard they had a huge blow up and Busch basically told
Callahan....not gonna take it anymore.

"Would the boy I was yesterday, be proud of the man I am today?"