NXclient for Android

Barry Mac

Mar 4, 2010, 8:42:52 AM3/4/10
to neatx
Someone mentioned a while ago about an NXclient for android, and there
was a reply saying it wasn't possible due to lack of X11.

I was wondering how the java applet client works then? It works on
windows and on linux.

http://www.nomachine.com/screenshot/companion.php

When I used it before it did seem like quite a heavy applet though.
Any idea if android could run this applet?

I think combining this with something like the Samsung I8250 projector
phone is very compelling. One might never have to carry a laptop and
projector again, yet have the capability to demonstrate some things
which require the compute power of a full blown workstation, or cloud
node. Like running a Java IDE for example.

Marcelo Boveto Shima

Mar 4, 2010, 2:17:22 PM3/4/10
to ne...@googlegroups.com
The Java applet downloads the native nxclient and executes it.
So it doesn't work on Android too.

Regards
Marcelo Shima

i iordanov

Mar 15, 2013, 11:32:41 AM3/15/13
to ne...@googlegroups.com
Hello people,

Perhaps bVNC, my open-source VNC app with AutoX functionality, would serve your purposes? AutoX provides the same functionality as NX but uses VNC rather than a compressed X protocol. The back-end consists of x11vnc and Xvfb or Xvnc.

It's available on Google Play and Blackberry World for free and as donation-ware. Search for "bVNC" and you'll find it easily, but here is a link:

http://play.google.com/store/search?q=bvnc

Here is a link to the instructions for AutoX:

http://iiordanov.blogspot.ca/2012/10/looking-for-nx-client-for-android-or.html

and a link to my post about a checf cookbook I wrote to configure a shared server automatically for AutoX (overkill for personal installations, but if you're a fan of chef, why not?)

http://iiordanov.blogspot.ca/2013/03/chef-cookbook-for-autox-like-nx-with.html

I hope you like it!
Iordan

i iordanov

Mar 15, 2013, 11:47:38 AM3/15/13
to ne...@googlegroups.com
I forgot to mention the application is also available on Blackberry 10. Here is a link to Blackberry world for it:

http://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/search/bvnc/?countrycode=CA