Building neatx with automake >= 1.11.3, throws error about incomaptible combinations of pkglib and _PROGRAMS, _SCRIPTS primaries.

ilyal

Apr 30, 2012, 12:06:11 AM4/30/12
to ne...@googlegroups.com
The following output of autogen.sh is printed to console when it is run with debug flag:

+ test ! -f configure.ac
+ set -e
+ rm -rf config.cache autom4te.cache
+ mkdir -p autotools
+ aclocal -I autotools
+ autoheader -Wall
+ autoconf
+ automake --add-missing
Makefile.am:80: `pkglibdir' is not a legitimate directory for `PROGRAMS'
Makefile.am:73: `pkglibdir' is not a legitimate directory for `SCRIPTS'
Makefile.am:76: `pkglibdir' is not a legitimate directory for `SCRIPTS'

Similar bug is opened at debian bug tracking system #660488.
Also MySQL describes relevant issue in 63898
As per automake manual, suitable destination folders for _PROGRAMS primary are in bindir, sbindir, libexecdir, pkglibexecdir, or not at all (noinst_).
For distributable scripts dist*_SCRIPTS, the suggested destinations are in bindir, sbindir, libexecdir, pkglibexecdir, or pkgdatadir.

I'm not sure about the optimal solution, but I just both to bindir and was able to complete the build.
I would be glad to hear other propositions.

Dario Izzo

Jun 11, 2012, 1:09:09 PM6/11/12
to neatx
I have the same problem, but did not understand your solution .....
and I am stuck!!

On 30 Apr, 06:06, ilyal <il...@spillcode.net> wrote:
> The following output of autogen.sh is printed to console when it is run
> with debug flag:
>
> + test ! -f configure.ac
> + set -e
> + rm -rf config.cache autom4te.cache
> + mkdir -p autotools
> + aclocal -I autotools
> + autoheader -Wall
> + autoconf
> + automake --add-missing
> Makefile.am:80: `pkglibdir' is not a legitimate directory for `PROGRAMS'
> Makefile.am:73: `pkglibdir' is not a legitimate directory for `SCRIPTS'
> Makefile.am:76: `pkglibdir' is not a legitimate directory for `SCRIPTS'
>
> Similar bug is opened at debian bug tracking system<http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=660488&trim=no&borin...>#660488.
> Also MySQL describes relevant issue in 63898<http://bugs.mysql.com/bug.php?id=63898>
> As per automake manual<http://www.gnu.org/software/automake/manual/automake.html#Programs>,

Ranju Mathew

Jan 23, 2014, 4:40:50 AM1/23/14
to ne...@googlegroups.com, dario...@googlemail.com
I know this is an old post.  I'm replying to this in the case that it will help someone else and save them the few hours I spend searching for a solution.  The way Ilya Levin got around this issue was to go to each of the lines in Makefile.am and change them like so:

80:  pkglib_PROGRAMS   -->  bin_PROGRAMS
73:  dist_pkglib_SCRIPTS  -->  dist_bin_SCRIPTS
76:  nodist_pkglib_SCRIPTS  -->  nodist_bin_SCRIPTS

Then run autogen.sh which produces the new Makefile.in.  Once this is done, run configure.  Now you should be able to compile.

Thanks,
Ranju