the future of near 900, and allstar

34 katselukertaa
Siirry ensimmäiseen lukemattomaan viestiin

Jed Barton

lukematon,
15.1.2020 klo 11.13.2115.1.2020
vastaanottaja near...@googlegroups.com
Hey guys,

Hope everyone is doing well.
I thought i would reach out to you guys to get some discussions about
allstar, and perhaps taking near-900 to an allstar platform. Having
worked with allstar for quite a while now there are a number of
advantages over IRLP.
Recently there has been a huge shake up in the IRLP community that
everyone needs to know about. Without notice, Dave Cameron and his
boys pulled all the pgp keys from any nodes that were cross connecting
between IRLP and allstar. There was no email sent, no discussion. 1
day none of the nodes worked.
Virtually every repeater owner i know is pulling the plug on IRLP.
Allstar is basically IRLP but with no limits and certainly far superior audio.
Repeater owners have migrated to allstar years ago, and i should have
made the jump back then.
The major allstar package being distributed now is called hamvoip.

www.hamvoip.org

I personally run it on several nodes and it's awesome.
So, i thought i would open up the discussion about perhaps starting to
migrate near-900 to an allstar platform and get everyone's thoughts.
1 of the major advantages is that you can create any network that you
want and in any configuration. You can certainly setup a central hub
where everyone connects, but then each node for example could connect
to other 900 repeaters. You name the possibility it can happen.
1 advantage, and i'll use my case as an example. I can't always hit
my repeater reliably, but i have 3 allstar nodes at the house. I
could connect 1 of them to my 900 machine or to the hub and talk to
everyone across near-900.
Over the last several months we've taken my Quahog repeater network
and gone allstar.
So, what does everyone think?
The platform is solid, proven with no limitations, and it works awesome.

Cheers,

Jed

wa1...@gmail.com

lukematon,
15.1.2020 klo 11.48.3515.1.2020
vastaanottaja near...@googlegroups.com
Let's get a few facts about IRLP and Allstar/hamvoip straight:

- IRLP has always been radio to radio communication only; that's the rules
from day one

- Allstar/hamvoip has been violating the IRLP rules since Hamvoip's
inception

- There is a way to use Allstar and IRLP together using a reflector

- Allstar/Hamvoip is very flexible network; IRLP is stable and rigid network

- If your Allstar audio is better than your IRLP audio, you have something
wrong with your IRLP hardware or software configuration.

* If we want to keep NEAR-900 as a stable and reliable network of repeaters
connected 24 x 365, repeater IRLP connections to a reflector is the way to
go.

* If we want to destroy the currently stable NEAR-900 repeater network
configuration and go to a network configuration that is not consistent and
dependable but has lots of flexibility that allows things like cellphones to
connect, etc then Allstar/Hamvoip is the way to go.

*** Personally, I'm in favor of adding Allstar/Hamvoip to the New England
Reflector. This allows the NEAR-900 network to remain stable and in place
and also allows Allstar/Hamvoip connections.

Roger
WA1NVC
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/near-900/CAOYEAeouUC66NtrpiaAB8x4SS4F2Pujq2_TOXP2%2BFdKuo3_v7A%40mail.gmail.com.

Jed Barton

lukematon,
15.1.2020 klo 12.18.0515.1.2020
vastaanottaja near...@googlegroups.com
I think if we went hamvoip, it would be a win win for everyone.
At the end of the day, hamvoip is pretty well proven at this point.
I've got it on every node here and have had absolutely no issues at
all.
The support from everyone running hamvoip has been truly amazing.
What i like even better, no stupid IRLP board, and no junk hardware.
pi, sound fob, and you're done. It's that easy. You set a few
configurations in the software and you're up and running. I think the
key here is flexibility. You pick the combination and you can pretty
much do it.
Every repeater trustee i know has dumped IRLP and they're not looking back.
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/near-900/86B69127FA274AF6825B94BFDF10C4A9%40Optiplex790.

Stephen Johnson

lukematon,
15.1.2020 klo 12.57.4115.1.2020
vastaanottaja near...@googlegroups.com
Not every repeater trustee you know!

HO

> email to near-900+unsub...@googlegroups.com.

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/near-900/CAOYEAeouUC66NtrpiaAB8x4SS4F2Pujq2_TOXP2%2BFdKuo3_v7A%40mail.gmail.com.
>

> --

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/near-900/CAOYEAerfx5RhdUWjz1M0s8Bfuh4xqQbMdbBxHSenMx7ki_2c9w%40mail.gmail.com.

Ken Reynolds

lukematon,
15.1.2020 klo 15.38.1315.1.2020
vastaanottaja near...@googlegroups.com
I say do it Jed

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/near-900/1531099790.7991341.1579111054980%40mail.yahoo.com.
--
Ken Reynolds

73

KA1EZH

Jeff Lehmann

lukematon,
15.1.2020 klo 16.16.1415.1.2020
vastaanottaja near...@googlegroups.com
I agree with Roger, if there's a way to add AllStar to what we're doing now, then great! I don't think making everyone change to remain part of the network is realistic as people aren't going to want to spend the money/time/effort to replace and reconfigure the equipment.

73
Jeff AJ1L
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/near-900/86B69127FA274AF6825B94BFDF10C4A9%40Optiplex790.

wa1...@gmail.com

lukematon,
15.1.2020 klo 17.35.3015.1.2020
vastaanottaja near...@googlegroups.com
Jeff, Jed,

There is a way.

Look at Reflector 9050, the East Coast Reflector. They are running an
Echolink bridge just like the New England Reflector. They are also
running an Allstar bridge. I talked to the owner: "Allstar nodes are
connected to IRLP reflector 9050 through our three Allstar bridges 45192,
45225 and 27339."

Jed needs to talk to the New England Reflector owners and have them add one
or more Allstar bridges.

https://new-eng.com/

I'm sure the owner of the East Coast Reflector would be willing to supply
advice if needed.
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/near-900/BL0PR08MB5265D032822A0917C57C6155EC370%40BL0PR08MB5265.namprd08.prod.outlook.com.

Jed Barton

lukematon,
15.1.2020 klo 20.54.3415.1.2020
vastaanottaja near...@googlegroups.com
I like that idea, that sounds perfect. I'm sure we can get it done.
Let me start working on that.

On 1/15/20, wa1...@gmail.com <wa1...@gmail.com> wrote:
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/near-900/521FE14511F04E31B8FBE19524BFE939%40Optiplex790.

Vastaa kaikille