MTX9250 programming issue

John Miller

Jan 23, 2019, 5:22:11 PM1/23/19
to near...@googlegroups.com

Hi, I have a question. A updated mtx9250 code plug was posted I believe here a week or so ago. I tried to update my mtx9250 radios today and for whatever reason when I go to program it in to them it comes up with an error, I can get the specific error but when I got mad and shut it off I wasn’t thinking to note it right away, anyway, about a key too short and programmer has to close. It reads the radio, reads the serial number, does anyone have any idea what this is or how to fix it? I’d rather not brick them. I think they worked with my old computer I used for that stuff, another windows 98 box with similar specs but that one lost the hard drive, and a couple other things so is no longer among us I had to contact a friend to grab another similar machine then this started. I’m not in a rush to get this done I can’t hit anything from my house anymore anyway but once spring hits I’ll be out and about a lot and want to update them for then if I can. I’m not sure how out of date my current code plug even is right now but I know it is out of date.

Thanks, John N1UMJ

John Mullaney

Jan 23, 2019, 6:08:10 PM1/23/19
to near...@googlegroups.com
Here is the steps. Read your radio and save your code plug. Always the best way to start so you can back up. Then close your code plug and open up the new code plug. Now this was not made with your radio so you can’t write as is right into your radio. What you do go to the clone menu and clone it into your radio. When you clone you’ll read serial number then do a clone. That now clones the new code plug into your radio. After that read your radio again and save it with a date if your new code plug.

John K1BOS

Sent from my iPhone

John Miller

Jan 23, 2019, 6:41:19 PM1/23/19
to near...@googlegroups.com

I did that tight up to programming the radio then I get the error. Sounds like I'm doing it right  something else is wrong.

Jeff Lehmann

Jan 23, 2019, 7:00:42 PM1/23/19
to near...@googlegroups.com
Are you running a 32 or 64 bit operating system?

On my 64 bit laptop, I run a 32 bit copy of XP in VMware to be able to program MTX9250s, MCS2000s, Astro Spectras, CDM/HT1250s, etc.

73
Jeff  N1ZZN

On Jan 23, 2019, at 5:22 PM, John Miller <n1um...@gmail.com> wrote:

Roger Coulson

Jan 23, 2019, 7:02:34 PM1/23/19
to Near-900
What version of CPS are you using?

Has the CPS you are using been modified for the HAM band?

FYI, I used Windows 7 Pro 32 bit to program my MTX9250; it should work on any 32 bit version of Windows.

Roger
WA1NVC

Sent using my fat fimgers on my Android device !

John Miller

Jan 23, 2019, 7:21:08 PM1/23/19
to near...@googlegroups.com

This is a windows 98 machine.

David Cantrell

Jan 23, 2019, 10:23:21 PM1/23/19
to near-900
I was hitting this same problem with the code plug when I tried to clone it in to my radio.  The code plug that I got from Roger looks to be from a radio that has the R01.03.64 firmware while mine has R01.03.66 firmware.  The specific gripe that CPS throws up at me is that it's missing trunking information when I try to clone.

However, I can create a new code plug and write that to the radio with no problems.  I can also open the un-cloneable code plug and read all of the settings and make changes to it, but it'll never clone to the radio.  No clue what's up.

So not having any better ideas, I recreated the un-cloneable code plug.  I've put mine here:

Along with my other various notes and code plugs for radios.  Help yourself, contributions always welcome.

CPS for the MTX9250 is also a trick.  Part HVN9067 is NLA from Motorola, but I did find that HVN9067J is still available and it claims to be "CSP R02.xx.xx" (note the misspelling of CPS).  The version number is not R02.03.00, but given that CPS is also misspelled, I wonder if the version number is actually correct.  If you go the route of hamfiles.co.uk, you can find CPS R02.03.00 already modified for ham bands and I did verify that one worked too.

Thanks,

Jeremy Breef-Pilz

Jan 23, 2019, 10:32:12 PM1/23/19
to near...@googlegroups.com
Does it give you an option in Clone Wizard to do a Limited or Conventional Only clone? This is how you get around not having a system key for a trunking system already in the codeplug in Jedi and ASTRO25 radios, never ran into this issue with Waris radios so not sure if it is an option in that CPS.

John Miller

Jan 24, 2019, 7:44:19 AM1/24/19
to near...@googlegroups.com
Jeremy, No, on the MTS2000 and MCS2000 I have that option and I think
I've seen it in others but I have so many radios I can't remember
which ones but the MTX9250 doesn't have limited clone.
David, now that you mention it, I seem to recall when I bought them at
nearfest and had someone program them there, I had a problem and I
think that's what it turned out to be, someone had seen that before
and used his code plug from a radio with different firmware and we
adjusted the scan list or something and it was good to go. It's coming
back to me now so maybe I never did update it on my own after I bought
them. I know it's been a while. Thanks, I'll give that a shot and see
what happens.

David Cantrell

Jan 24, 2019, 10:11:34 AM1/24/19
to near...@googlegroups.com
That's what I tried searching for, but could not find anything like that
in the MTX9250 CPS. Like you, I have not seen this on other models.
It's odd to me.

Thanks,
> you go the route of hamfiles.co.uk <http://hamfiles.co.uk>, you can
> find CPS R02.03.00 already modified for ham bands and I did verify
> that one worked too.
>
> Thanks,
>
> On Wed, Jan 23, 2019 at 6:41 PM John Miller <n1um...@gmail.com
> <mailto:n1um...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> I did that tight up to programming the radio then I get the
> error. Sounds like I'm doing it right  something else is wrong.
>

> On Wed, Jan 23, 2019, 6:08 PM John Mullaney
> <k1...@scanboston.com <mailto:k1...@scanboston.com> wrote:
>
> Here is the steps. Read your radio and save your code plug.
> Always the best way to start so you can back up. Then close
> your code plug and open up the new code plug. Now this was
> not made with your radio so you can’t write as is right into
> your radio. What you do go to the clone menu and clone it
> into your radio. When you clone you’ll read serial number
> then do a clone. That now clones the new code plug into your
> radio. After that read your radio again and save it with a
> date if your new code plug.
>
> John K1BOS
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Jan 23, 2019, at 5:22 PM, John Miller
> <n1um...@gmail.com <mailto:n1um...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>> Hi, I have a question. A updated mtx9250 code plug was
>> posted I believe here a week or so ago. I tried to update
>> my mtx9250 radios today and for whatever reason when I go
>> to program it in to them it comes up with an error, I can
>> get the specific error but when I got mad and shut it off
>> I wasn’t thinking to note it right away, anyway, about a
>> key too short and programmer has to close. It reads the
>> radio, reads the serial number, does anyone have any idea
>> what this is or how to fix it? I’d rather not brick them.
>> I think they worked with my old computer I used for that
>> stuff, another windows 98 box with similar specs but that
>> one lost the hard drive, and a couple other things so is
>> no longer among us I had to contact a friend to grab
>> another similar machine then this started. I’m not in a
>> rush to get this done I can’t hit anything from my house
>> anymore anyway but once spring hits I’ll be out and about
>> a lot and want to update them for then if I can. I’m not
>> sure how out of date my current code plug even is right
>> now but I know it is out of date.____
>>
>> Thanks, John N1UMJ____
>> --
>> from it, send an email to
>> near-900+u...@googlegroups.com
>> <mailto:near-900+u...@googlegroups.com>.
>
> --
> from it, send an email to
> near-900+u...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:near-900+u...@googlegroups.com>.
>
> --
>

> --
> David Cantrell <david.l....@gmail.com
> <mailto:david.l....@gmail.com>>
> WH6DSN | http://blog.burdell.org/
>
> --
>
> --

David Cantrell <david.l....@gmail.com>
WH6DSN | https://www.burdell.org/

David Cantrell

Jan 24, 2019, 10:15:39 AM1/24/19
to near...@googlegroups.com
On 1/24/19 7:44 AM, John Miller wrote:
> Jeremy, No, on the MTS2000 and MCS2000 I have that option and I think
> I've seen it in others but I have so many radios I can't remember
> which ones but the MTX9250 doesn't have limited clone.

Good to confirm that. Thanks.

> David, now that you mention it, I seem to recall when I bought them at
> nearfest and had someone program them there, I had a problem and I
> think that's what it turned out to be, someone had seen that before
> and used his code plug from a radio with different firmware and we
> adjusted the scan list or something and it was good to go. It's coming
> back to me now so maybe I never did update it on my own after I bought
> them. I know it's been a while. Thanks, I'll give that a shot and see
> what happens.

That's an interesting idea. I did not adjust the scan list, so maybe I
could try that and see if it can clone the radio. Low priority for me,
I've got it programmed up now but I'll try it out this weekend.

More than anything, I think these notes would be helpful to post on
near900.com for anyone downloading the MTX9250 code plug there.

I'm also trying to keep the radio throughout the day on K1RJZ. There
are times where I have to turn it off, but otherwise I'm trying to keep
it on.

Thanks,
WH6DSN | https://www.burdell.org/