Feeding Hills 900 Update

Jeff Lehmann

Mar 7, 2020, 11:47:42 PM3/7/20
to NEAR-900
Today after the MTARA flea in Chicopee, KC1HO, KB1REQ, and myself went up to change the input on the Feeding Hills 900 repeater.

Fortunately it seems that the receiver performance on 902.0625 D271 is GREATLY improved over 902.800. We tested it transmitting with a HT listening on a mobile to at least Ludlow as we headed back East and the signal was clean all the way.

Unfortunately we discovered that there’s a problem with the DCS encoding on the repeater. It was deviating the DCS signal much too loud, and most radios were not opening up. For now we had to turn the DCS off completely on the output of the repeater, so to hear the repeater you’ll need to program your radio with CSQ on RX or have a monitor button you can press to open it up. We’ll need to investigate what part(s) need to be replaced in the MSF repeater to fix this issue.

Another problem we discovered is with the internet connection to IRLP. It’s allowing packets to be sent to the internet, but not come back in. For now the connection to NEAR-900 is one way, we can hear people from Feeding Hills on the rest of the network, but they can’t hear us. W1QA will be looking into this, hopefully it can be easily resolved.

So for now, if you’re in the area, reprogram for the 902.0625 D271 input, 927.8000 CSQ output. Give it a try if you can, you should fine the performance to be MUCH better!

73
Jeff - AJ1L

Eric A. Cottrell

Mar 8, 2020, 9:29:08 AM3/8/20
to near...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

Although it seems like a common problem, I wonder if there is a failure
causing the voice deviation to be too low or the DPL to be too high?
http://www.repeater-builder.com/motorola/msf/msf-pl-mod.html

73 Eric

kc1ho

Mar 8, 2020, 9:49:35 AM3/8/20
to near...@googlegroups.com
Excellent find with that article Eric, I think these resistor tweaks will give us exactly what we need!

It's funny that the tone deviations shown in this article as being too high for a 5KHz system are similar to the values we're seeing on this 2.5KHz system, where they actually should be half these values.

HO

Mike Davis WA1MAD

Mar 8, 2020, 3:45:41 PM3/8/20
to near...@googlegroups.com
Thanks to all working to resolve the issues. Much appreciated. 73

Mike Davis WA1MAD

GENE BALINSKI

Mar 8, 2020, 9:55:53 PM3/8/20
to near...@googlegroups.com, Jeff Lehmann
Jeff,

All the crew at Bubbs BBQ listened and tried to check in. Unfortunately, we heard nothing.

Thanks for making the trip out there and getting the repeater up to snuff. Maybe we will hear more activity

73
K1NR