Near 900 on allstar

Jed Barton

Oct 4, 2019, 7:53:27 PM10/4/19
to near-900
Hey guys,

Hope everyone is doing well.
I thought i would throw this out there to get some input.
All of us as of right now link the near 900 repeaters to IRLP. I have
been watching for quite sometime the very rapid expantion of allstar.
Allstar is basicly taking over IRLP, and it has for years. The major
advantage is there are no restrictions on what you can do. Think
about the possibilities and it can pretty much happen. You don't need
an IRLP board that you have to buy from them, the audio can be full
duplex, and the audio is far superior to IRLP.
While on IRLP we have to connect to a reflector, every repeater on
allstar is basicly it's own reflector. The capability exists now to
be able to combine IRLP, allstar, and echolink in the same node. In
fact, you can run an IRLP connection and an allstar connection at the
same time. You can be on an IRLP reflector while at the same time be
connected to something on allstar.
The reason i mention this, there are a few 900 networks that exist
that are all about promoting activity on the band. They're all
connected via allstar. The biggest network is out of Texas.
I personally am going to upgrade all my nodes to allstar. What do you
guys think about over time perhaps converting the 900 machines here in
New England to allstar? You wouldn't get rid of IRLP, but rather add
to it and increase the capability of the network.
I've got 2 simplex allstar nodes here at the house and am absolutely
blown away by the audio. Many repeater owners ditched IRLP years ago
and they never looked back.
Any thoughts, anyone up for having some fun with doing some linking expansion?

Cheers,

Jed

KA1DON

Oct 5, 2019, 5:44:25 AM10/5/19
to Near-900
Agreed. I was introduced to Allstar by a fellow ham in Pennsylvania some years ago and have used since. My 900 MHz Quantar repeater has analog and P25 access to the network via a Motorola DIU 3000 as well as additional electronics and programming. At this time there are access codes to the option and only a few subscriber units use it. I am still evaluating the ruggedness of my design and tweaking it from time to time. Merging analog and P25 repeater traffic into one network is, well, interesting!

Jed Barton

Oct 5, 2019, 10:42:18 AM10/5/19
to near...@googlegroups.com
It's pretty cool.
I think this would be an awesome move for the New England 900
machines. Allstar is basically the new IRLP. It gives you a lot more
flexibility in so many ways, and it's not hard to setup. On top of
that you don't have to buy that stupid IRLP board.
Since i'm an audio guy, the big thing with allstar is the audio
quality. It's quite simply awesome.
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/near-900/56554cb6-c435-484c-ba64-858739fea461%40googlegroups.com.

Lee M. Lemoine

Oct 6, 2019, 10:45:28 AM10/6/19
to near...@googlegroups.com
I'm going to one-up your Allstar proposal:

Since most of the 900 repeaters swapped to a common repeater input, each repeater having it's own PL tone....    you could very easily implement something called the RTCM and implement RF Voting based on incoming signal strength -- this will automatically pick the best site for you to be received on rather than rely 100% on arm-strong voting.   It also provides synchronization mechanisms for simulcast transmitted audio -- assuming you've got a good 10mhz feed from a GPSDO available (cheap units are $250 online)  you can *also* simulcast multiple repeaters on the same RF frequency, creating a single large-area coverage channel.

I've been wanting to do this on UHF for awhile now -- have a ton of parts, just haven't had the time.

Sincerely,
Lee M. Lemoine
N3LEE - Amateur Radio
"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it."

Rick W

Oct 16, 2019, 3:30:29 PM10/16/19
to Near-900
I think it's an excellent Idea Jed, Is there any other type of interface that can be used other than DEK URI ?  I've enjoyed Allstar link for many years, and also the neat option is that you can create non accessible (private) linking between nodes to cut down on overhead and just have one node available if you want to give users the ability to connect.. A lot more functionality and options.

Jed Barton

Oct 16, 2019, 9:32:28 PM10/16/19
to near...@googlegroups.com
There is a lot you can do.
As far as the interface goes, i know that a lot of people have done it
with the msf5000. I'm reaching out to people right now to get all the
info in terms of hooking things up. I'll keep everyone posted.

Cheers,

Jed
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/near-900/37b97819-6cc4-40a6-8a5f-f5966c5c9677%40googlegroups.com.

Lee M. Lemoine

Oct 18, 2019, 8:23:46 AM10/18/19
to near...@googlegroups.com
There are many interfaces, some more expensive (and feature laden) than others.

I've used the USB RIM as well as the RA Series adapters on various projects of mine.

Sincerely,
Lee M. Lemoine
N3LEE - Amateur Radio
"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it."

Jed Barton

Oct 18, 2019, 12:52:11 PM10/18/19
to near...@googlegroups.com
I think the allstar move has more plusses than minuses.
I can tell you from using allstar, it's quite simply awesome, works
great. Not to mention, there is a huge allstar community that is more
than helpful.