High Altitude Balloon

Jonathan Weaver

May 7, 2018, 11:31:20 PM5/7/18
to tricou...@googlegroups.com, ne...@googlegroups.com
I’ve been working on a High Altitude Balloon project, and I’m finally ready to launch!

On the morning of Saturday, May 26th, around 10:00 AM the balloon will carry a cooler full of radio equipment, sensors, and cameras to the stratosphere. The peak altitude is expected to be 135,000 feet (over 25 miles). At that point, the balloon will burst and the cooler will parachute down somewhere in South Carolina and safely land around 3 hours after lifting off from my home in Pendergrass.

During the flight, the balloon will transmit its position over APRS using 144.390 MHz and a callsign of N4JWW-11 once a minute. Once every 5 seconds, the two onboard cameras will take a snapshot and save the images. An FM voice cross-band repeater, with an uplink of 445.25 MHz and a downlink of 145.25 MHz will be operational onboard also. The line of site range of the repeater will be a circle with a 600 mile diameter at the highest point of the flight.

If you’d like to be a part of the launch or retrieval, please let me know. Feel free to ask questions also. I’m cautious about advertising too much since this my first balloon launch and something may go wrong.

You can track APRS packets using https://APRS.fi

Thanks,

Jonathan
N4JWW