Heavy rains pummel Australia's east bringing worst floods in 50 years

Mike

Mar 23, 2021, 4:31:23 AM3/23/21
MELBOURNE — Heavy rains along Australia’s east coast over the
weekend have brought the worst flooding in half a century in
some areas, authorities said on Sunday, forcing thousands to
evacuate and damaging hundreds of houses.

New South Wales Premier Gladys Berejiklian said the downpour
across the state, Australia’s most populous with 8 million
people, was worse than initially expected, especially for low-
lying areas in Sydney’s northwest.

“Yesterday, we were hoping it will only be a one-in-20-year
event, now it looks like a one-in-50-year event,” Berejiklian
said at a televised briefing.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/heavy-rains-pummel-australia-
s-east-bringing-worst-floods-50-n1261683

Dechucka

Mar 23, 2021, 4:32:48 AM3/23/21
If only we had guns to shoot back the floods

News 2021

Mar 23, 2021, 5:48:33 AM3/23/21
On Tue, 23 Mar 2021 09:30:46 +0100, Mike scribed:

> MELBOURNE — Heavy rains along Australia’s east coast over the weekend
> have brought the worst flooding in half a century in some areas,
> authorities said on Sunday, forcing thousands to evacuate and damaging
> hundreds of houses.

Nah, the half a century is just a statistical probability. All the ares
affected have been flooded multiple times in the last 50 years.

> New South Wales Premier Gladys Berejiklian said the downpour across the
> state, Australia’s most populous with 8 million people, was worse than
> initially expected, especially for low- lying areas in Sydney’s
> northwest.
Actually, the flooding starts in the west through to the northwest.
Plus there is a pile of flooding all the way up the east coast of NSW
into Queensland.

Note, the flooding along the North Coast is considered worse than the
Sydney flooding at 1:100 years.

> “Yesterday, we were hoping it will only be a one-in-20-year event, now
> it looks like a one-in-50-year event,” Berejiklian said at a televised
> briefing.
>
> https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/heavy-rains-pummel-australia-
> s-east-bringing-worst-floods-50-n1261683

For Sydney, the problem has really been that the rainfall has been over a
wide area and all the area mostly drains to one river; the Hawksbury
which has tributaries coming in along almost its entire length.

This is a god map showing the catchment and dams, which are all full*.

https://www.waternsw.com.au/supply/Greater-Sydney/greater-sydneys-dam-
levels

Note: Prospect Dam is a reservoir, not a dam. Water is pumped from
Warragamba Dam(the big one) and it supplies most of the Sydney area water
supply. The dam system is full, excapt for two coastal, isolated Dam,
neither of which would have had any effect on anything but very local
flooding.

Klaus Schadenfreude

Mar 23, 2021, 8:16:14 AM3/23/21
On Tue, 23 Mar 2021 19:32:43 +1100, Dechucka <Dech...@hotmail.com>
wrote:
If only we gave a shit about floods in Australia.

Just Wondering

Mar 23, 2021, 3:45:01 PM3/23/21
Pass a law to make flooding illegal.

Adam DAngelo

Mar 23, 2021, 5:42:19 PM3/23/21
On Tue, 23 Mar 2021 09:30:46 +0100 (CET), Mike <mik...@hotmail.com>
wrote:
Wow really? I never noticed! Must be fake news.

Dechucka

Mar 23, 2021, 10:05:36 PM3/23/21
Thanks for taking an interest by contributing to the thread

Fran

Mar 24, 2021, 7:10:32 AM3/24/21
It's a higher standard than his usual contributions.

max headroom

Mar 24, 2021, 10:52:38 AM3/24/21
In news:GN2dnS5cPd70A8f9...@westnet.com.au, Dechucka <Dech...@hotmail.com> typed:

> On 23/03/2021 11:16 pm, Klaus Schadenfreude wrote:

>>> If only we had guns to shoot back the floods

>> If only we gave a shit about floods in Australia.

> Thanks for taking an interest by contributing to the thread

In talk.politics.guns? I'd say Klaus' comment was appropriate.

Klaus Schadenfreude

Mar 24, 2021, 11:41:56 AM3/24/21
He calls that "contributing to the thread."

[chuckle]