What happened to Mark Rosenthal?

Philip Busch

Sep 22, 2002, 8:52:35 PM9/22/02
On the Ch. 5 weekend news the promos had J.C. Monahan as the
meteorologist along with the news and sports anchor. Does this mean
that Mark Rosenthal is no longer with the station? J.C. did the wx
last weekend but I assumed it was because of the Yom Kippur holiday. I
have always enjoyed Mark on weekends. Is it because all the other
stations (including UHF) have women meteorologists on weekends? I am
not sexist but I have watched Mark since he started at Ch.5 years ago
under Bob Copeland. If he has left I hope he's hooked up with another
local station and I can watch him there. So much for "The Power of
Five".
Btw, I think Cindy on Fox 25 is a cutie!!

Donald Rosenfeld

Sep 22, 2002, 9:52:12 PM9/22/02
Sep 22, 2002, 10:12:47 PM9/22/02
On Mon, 23 Sep 2002 01:52:12 UTC, Donald Rosenfeld <rose...@attbi.com> wrote:

> This poster is very observant. I can indeed confirm that Mark has
> been fired from Channel 5, as of Friday.

let me be the 1st to say that this SUX bigtime.
Mark is great!

eric...

D. Kirkpatrick

Sep 23, 2002, 12:59:49 AM9/23/02
In article <3D8E73CC...@attbi.com>,
Donald Rosenfeld <rose...@attbi.com> wrote:

> This poster is very observant. I can indeed confirm that Mark has
> been fired from Channel 5, as of Friday. Needless to say, this
> makes me very sad and outraged on several levels.

----

Choice netween Mark and JC....

Mark.

She's a nice kid but not what New Englanders want in weather
presentations.

Janette

Sep 23, 2002, 12:56:03 AM9/23/02
A long time ago in a galaxy far far away Donald Rosenfeld

<rose...@attbi.com> wrote:
> [...]
IMHO channel 5 should be ashamed of themelves.........I've
always enjoyed MR........

Aidanfarre

Sep 23, 2002, 6:32:25 AM9/23/02
This is a travisty! I looked forward to weekends when Mark was on. I watched
channel five for their weather and other shows.Guess what channel 5? You lost a
viewer of Channel 5!

John

Alan Grossberg

Sep 23, 2002, 2:07:11 PM9/23/02
Bummer. I've watched him since the 70's and always thought very highly of
his forecasting ability.

On another note, has Terry Casey left Ch. 7? I've seen him on Fox for a few
weeks now.

Philip Busch

Sep 23, 2002, 3:29:48 PM9/23/02
Donald Rosenfeld <rose...@attbi.com> wrote in message news:<3D8E73CC...@attbi.com>...

I have my own theory as to Mark's firing. The other local stations
(Chs. 4, 7, 25, 56) have WOMEN meteorologists on weekends. I'll bet
that Ch. 5 for some stupid reason (ratings, whatever) decided that
they should do the same. If, indeed that's the case and can be proven,
Mark should take WCVB to court and file a sex descrimination suit. I
could be 100% wrong on this, but the fact that "J.C." is now the
weekend person on duty, it's not totally inconceivable.
I wish Mark well and hope that he can get a position with another
Boston station.

eric w

Sep 23, 2002, 5:58:59 PM9/23/02
On Mon, 23 Sep 2002 19:29:48 UTC, phili...@msn.com (Philip Busch) wrote:

> Mark should take WCVB to court and file a sex descrimination suit

your parents must be lawyers.

Alan Grossberg

Sep 23, 2002, 6:39:05 PM9/23/02

No one in station management will ever admit it, but these points were
likely strong factors in his dismissal:

1) Until Monahan's recent hiring, WCVB was the only major Boston TV station
without a female OCM. Very un-politically correct. And with the addition of
Harvey Leonard, they must have figured four male OCM's was one too many.
(Actually five, counting the occasional fill-in of Dave Epstein).

2) Money was likely a factor as well, as they'll surely be paying Monahan
less than someone who'd been there for many years.

Peter Rice

Sep 23, 2002, 8:56:53 PM9/23/02

Philip wrote:

> I have my own theory as to Mark's firing. The other local stations
> (Chs. 4, 7, 25, 56) have WOMEN meteorologists on weekends. I'll bet
> that Ch. 5 for some stupid reason (ratings, whatever) decided that
> they should do the same. If, indeed that's the case and can be proven,
> Mark should take WCVB to court and file a sex descrimination suit. I
> could be 100% wrong on this, but the fact that "J.C." is now the
> weekend person on duty, it's not totally inconceivable.
> I wish Mark well and hope that he can get a position with another
> Boston station.

For better or for worse, over the last few years, local Boston television
stations have routinely knocked off much of the "old guard." Anchors (i.e.
R.D. Sahl) and meteorologists (i.e. Schwoegler, Rosenthal, etc.) have been
especially targeted. Notably, sportscasters have not been changed, since
their personalities are much more of a trademark to sports fans (which there
is alot of) than meteorologists are to the average viewer, who is only
interested in the weather when we have our annual "just-miss" blizzard. The
weather fanatics aren't significant in factoring in the right choice for a
meteorologist. More so, it is important to have a person with an attractive
look and personality, to keep viewers locked in to the station long enough
to watch another set of commercials!

As big of a mistake as it is to let these professionals go, it just mirrors
the changes that have evolved in the electronic media. Looks sell, and
Bruce Schwoegler is not as good-looking as Mich Michaels!

Tom Adams

Sep 23, 2002, 9:48:36 PM9/23/02
"D. Kirkpatrick" <dkir...@aol.com> wrote in message news:<dkirk999-2BEE4C...@testnews.chatlink.com>...

besides, who wants to look at a cheshire cat?

Tom Adams

Sep 23, 2002, 9:53:07 PM9/23/02
aidan...@aol.com (Aidanfarre) wrote in message news:<20020923063225...@mb-cq.aol.com>...

Do you suppose channel 5 got tired of hearing "I see no snowstorms or
cold air in sight" That was Mark's trademark closing in the winter.

Janette

Sep 24, 2002, 2:05:49 AM9/24/02
A long time ago in a galaxy far far away "Peter Rice"
<par...@attbi.com> wrote:
>Mich Michaels!
Who is Mich Micheals? Any relation to Mish Michaels?

Janette

Sep 24, 2002, 2:03:49 AM9/24/02
A long time ago in a galaxy far far away "Alan Grossberg"

<snow...@attbi.com> wrote:
>2) Money was likely a factor as well, as they'll surely be paying Monahan
>less than someone who'd been there for many years.
But weren't they sharing JCM with NECN who broadcasts from
the same building?

BTW WCVB had a female doing the weather recently....they
fired her.........