MBTA bus transfers? weekly passes?

2 views
Skip to first unread message

Ron Newman

unread,
Nov 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/27/00
to
The MBTA promised to introduce bus-to-bus transfers on December 1st,
and weekly passes on January 1st, or maybe it was the other way
around. In any event, I don't see anything on the MBTA's web site
about either one. Does anyone know more about how and when these
programs will begin?

--
Ron Newman rne...@thecia.net
http://www2.thecia.net/users/rnewman/

John F Carr

unread,
Nov 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/27/00
to
In article <rnewman-2711...@ppp39-205.thecia.net>,

Ron Newman <rne...@thecia.net> wrote:
>The MBTA promised to introduce bus-to-bus transfers on December 1st,
>and weekly passes on January 1st, or maybe it was the other way
>around. In any event, I don't see anything on the MBTA's web site
>about either one. Does anyone know more about how and when these
>programs will begin?

There are small, colored signs mounted at bus stops on Mass. Ave.
in Cambridge saying something will happen December 1. I think it
was the transfer but I wasn't paying attention.

--
John Carr (j...@mit.edu)

NoahPlack

unread,
Nov 27, 2000, 10:37:48 PM11/27/00
to
>rne...@thecia.net (Ron Newman) wrote:

>The MBTA promised to introduce bus-to-bus transfers on December 1st,
>and weekly passes on January 1st, or maybe it was the other way
>around. In any event, I don't see anything on the MBTA's web site
>about either one. Does anyone know more about how and when these
>programs will begin?

Today I saw yellow signs at the bus stops at Porter Square that indicated free
transfers would be available soon...

As I recall, transfers were promised for December 1st and weekly combo passes
for a later date (January 1?).

Ron Newman

unread,
Nov 28, 2000, 12:48:34 AM11/28/00
to
In article <20001127223748...@ng-bg1.aol.com>,
noah...@aol.comzzz (NoahPlack) wrote:

> >The MBTA promised to introduce bus-to-bus transfers on December 1st,
> >and weekly passes on January 1st, or maybe it was the other way
> >around. In any event, I don't see anything on the MBTA's web site
> >about either one. Does anyone know more about how and when these
> >programs will begin?
>
> Today I saw yellow signs at the bus stops at Porter Square that indicated free
> transfers would be available soon...

Do the signs give any indication of how the transfers will work?
(Are they time-stamped, how long you have to use the transfer, can
you transfer to another bus of the same line in the same direction
or the opposite direction, etc.)

danielk...@my-deja.com

unread,
Nov 28, 2000, 9:25:44 PM11/28/00
to
noah...@aol.comzzz (NoahPlack) wrote:
> As I recall, transfers were promised for December 1st and weekly
combo passes
> for a later date (January 1?).

How is a weekly combo pass different from a 7 day visitor passport?

-Dan


Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

NoahPlack

unread,
Nov 28, 2000, 9:58:51 PM11/28/00
to
> rne...@thecia.net (Ron Newman) wrote:

>Do the signs give any indication of how the transfers will work?
>(Are they time-stamped, how long you have to use the transfer, can
> you transfer to another bus of the same line in the same direction
> or the opposite direction, etc.)

I was told today that the transfers will be preprinted with the date. The bus
driver is supposed to mark the route on which the transfer is issued as well as
the time. The transfers can then be used on any route other than the one that
it was issued on for a period of up to 2 hours. In reality, a bus driver on a
busy route is unlikely to mark either the route or the time, so there are
unlikely to be any real restrictions on the use of transfers...

John McLachlan

unread,
Nov 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/29/00
to
Speaking to a driver the other day, she was under the impression the
driver had to write in the bus number and time... She wasn't looking
forward to that...

- J

> I was told today that the transfers will be preprinted with the date. The bus
> driver is supposed to mark the route on which the transfer is issued as
well as
> the time. The transfers can then be used on any route other than the one that
> it was issued on for a period of up to 2 hours. In reality, a bus driver on a
> busy route is unlikely to mark either the route or the time, so there are
> unlikely to be any real restrictions on the use of transfers...

--
remove nospam for correct e-mail replies...

John McLachlan
Draper Laboratory
Cambridge, MA 02139-3563
jmcla...@draper.com
http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/johnmc
-----------------------------------
Imagine a whole pack of penguins; ready to explore your brain

karen_...@hms.harvard.edu

unread,
Nov 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/30/00
to
In article <rnewman-2811...@ppp39-100.thecia.net>,

There was a MBTA handout on the seats of bus Rte 39 this morning,
Thursday, November 30th, describing the bus to bus transfer starting
tomorrow. The handout stated for more info go to the T's web site.
I did. In the upper right hand corner of the T's home page
http://www.mbta.com just to the left of the summary of the Capital
Investment Plan is a description of the bus to bus transfer program.
The transfer will be valid on all routes except:

500, 501, 502, 504, 505, 325, 326, 351, 352, 354 and 355


Karen Wepsic

Ron Newman

unread,
Nov 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/30/00
to
On Thu, 30 Nov 2000 16:16:24 GMT, in article <905uge$7ts$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,
karen_...@hms.harvard.edu stated...

> There was a MBTA handout on the seats of bus Rte 39 this morning,
>Thursday, November 30th, describing the bus to bus transfer starting
>tomorrow. The handout stated for more info go to the T's web site.

Assuming that all bus riders have Internet access isn't very smart.

--
Ron Newman rne...@thecia.net
http://www2.thecia.net/users/rnewman/home.html


Ron Newman

unread,
Nov 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/30/00
to
On Thu, 30 Nov 2000 16:16:24 GMT, in article <905uge$7ts$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,
karen_...@hms.harvard.edu stated...

>The transfer will be valid on all routes except:


>
> 500, 501, 502, 504, 505, 325, 326, 351, 352, 354 and 355

That's a weird list of exceptions, because it includes some of the
MassPike Newton Corner express buses, but not others (553, 554, 556, 558).

--
Ron Newman rne...@thecia.net
http://www2.thecia.net/users/rnewman/home.html


RTSPCC

unread,
Nov 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/30/00
to
>From: Ron Newman rne...@thecia.net

>On Thu, 30 Nov 2000 16:16:24 GMT, in article <905uge$7ts$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,
>karen_...@hms.harvard.edu stated...
>
>>The transfer will be valid on all routes except:
>>
>> 500, 501, 502, 504, 505, 325, 326, 351, 352, 354 and 355
>
>That's a weird list of exceptions, because it includes some of the
>MassPike Newton Corner express buses, but not others (553, 554, 556, 558).
>
>--

They will be valid for the local sections of Routes 553, 554, 556, and 558 but
not for travel through to Boston. I believe (but not 100%) that the same will
apply to Routes 441, 442, 450, 455, etc. A free transfer will be allowed for
local travel but not for express bus section trips. Seems that it will be hard
to enforce that though (the driver would have to remember who paid with a
transfer and kick them off when the bus got to the end of the local travel zone
(Porter St. East Boston or Bell Circle Revere for the 400s, Newton Corner for
the 550s)).

danielk...@my-deja.com

unread,
Nov 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/30/00
to
rts...@aol.com (RTSPCC) wrote:
> Seems that it will be hard
> to enforce that though (the driver would have to remember who paid
with a
> transfer and kick them off when the bus got to the end of the local
travel zone
> (Porter St. East Boston or Bell Circle Revere for the 400s, Newton
Corner for
> the 550s)).

No harder than it is to enforce any zoned bus fares. The website also
states that transfers will be good for the first $.75 of a local zoned
bus fare.

-Dan

Ron Newman

unread,
Nov 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/30/00
to
On 30 Nov 2000 19:31:59 GMT, in article
<20001130143159...@ng-ch1.aol.com>, rts...@aol.com stated...

>They will be valid for the local sections of Routes 553, 554, 556, and 558 but
>not for travel through to Boston. I believe (but not 100%) that the same will
>apply to Routes 441, 442, 450, 455, etc. A free transfer will be allowed for
>local travel but not for express bus section trips.

http://www.mbta.com/schedmaps/bus/bustransfer.cfm says the transfer is
"valid for travel in one zone on local zoned buses." Which is a little
odd since a normal 75-cent bus fare is valid for travel in *two* zones.

The multitude of patchwork transfer systems the MBTA is now saddled with
is not a good substitute for a unified fare policy such as New York City's.
Now we have

- 25 cent transfers from bus #39 to the Green Line at Copley
or Orange Line at Back Bay
- free transfers from the Green Line at Copley or Orange Line at Back Bay
to bus #39
- 25 cent transfers from northbound-only bus #1 to the
Orange Line at Mass. Ave.
- free transfers from the Orange Line at Mass. Ave. to southbound-only bus #1
- free transfers from bus #49 to the Orange Line at NEMC
(why are these free instead of 25 cents?)
- free transfers from the Orange Line at NEMC to bus #49
- 25 cent transfers from CT1, CT2, or CT3 buses to subway trains at
Airport, Hynes/ICA, Symphony, Ruggles, Mass. Ave., Sullivan,
Andrew, Kendall, and Central
(but not at BU, Fenway Park, MFA, or Longwood Medical Area),
- (but no transfers available from any subway trains to CT buses)

karen_...@hms.harvard.edu

unread,
Nov 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/30/00
to
In article <906j1...@edrn.newsguy.com>,

In my admittedly very brief look at the full text of the MBTA's
draft Capital Investment Plan for the next five years (available at
the reserve desk of the State Transportation Library) the only mention
I saw was of bus to bus transfers - nothing about subway to bus or
bus to subway.

Karen Wepsic

Ron Newman

unread,
Nov 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/30/00
to
In article <906gp9$ooq$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>, danielk...@my-deja.com wrote:

> The website also
> states that transfers will be good for the first $.75 of a local zoned
> bus fare.

No, it says the transfers will be good for "one zone", which isn't quite
the same thing.

A ride from Alewife to Lexington Center on bus #62 or #76 is 75 cents,
but covers two zones.

Sheldon Kovitz

unread,
Nov 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/30/00
to
In article <20001130143159...@ng-ch1.aol.com> rts...@aol.com (RTSPCC) writes:
>>From: Ron Newman rne...@thecia.net
>
>>On Thu, 30 Nov 2000 16:16:24 GMT, in article <905uge$7ts$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,
>>karen_...@hms.harvard.edu stated...
>>
>>>The transfer will be valid on all routes except:
>>>
>>> 500, 501, 502, 504, 505, 325, 326, 351, 352, 354 and 355
>>
>>That's a weird list of exceptions, because it includes some of the
>>MassPike Newton Corner express buses, but not others (553, 554, 556, 558).
>>
>>--
>
>They will be valid for the local sections of Routes 553, 554, 556, and 558 but
>not for travel through to Boston. I believe (but not 100%) that the same will
>apply to Routes 441, 442, 450, 455, etc. A free transfer will be allowed for
>local travel but not for express bus section trips. Seems that it will be hard

>to enforce that though (the driver would have to remember who paid with a
>transfer and kick them off when the bus got to the end of the local travel zone
>(Porter St. East Boston or Bell Circle Revere for the 400s, Newton Corner for
>the 550s)).

There's also a local zone for the 448, 449, and 459 from Downtown Crossing to
World Trade center, for example.

I assume that the transfer will be valid for zoned routes, just
not the express (to downtown) parts of the express or North Shore
routes.

Also: could a passenger get a second transfer?


danielk...@my-deja.com

unread,
Dec 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/1/00
to
Ron Newman <rne...@thecia.net> wrote:
> - 25 cent transfers from bus #39 to the Green Line at Copley
> or Orange Line at Back Bay
> - free transfers from the Green Line at Copley or Orange Line at
Back Bay
> to bus #39
> - 25 cent transfers from northbound-only bus #1 to the
> Orange Line at Mass. Ave.
> - free transfers from the Orange Line at Mass. Ave. to southbound-
only bus #1
> - free transfers from bus #49 to the Orange Line at NEMC
> (why are these free instead of 25 cents?)

Because these transfers were implemented due to the elimination of
Arborway and Washington Street rail service, respectively. The cost of
a bus+subway or subway+bus trip in either direction to one of the
formerly served areas is supposed to be the same as a trip on the
subway. So inbound the total trip cost is $1 ($.75 bus fare plus $.25
transfer), and outbound the trip cost is also $1 ($1 subway fare plus
free transfer).

-Dan

Ron Newman

unread,
Dec 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/1/00
to
In article <906feq$p2f$1...@news.cs.umb.edu>, sko...@terminus.cs.umb.edu
(Sheldon Kovitz) wrote:

> Also: could a passenger get a second transfer?

For that matter ...

If a passenger boards a bus in a fare-free zone, can he get a transfer?
(Buses 15, 19, 23, 28, 42, 44, 45 inbound from Dudley to Ruggles;
buses 22, 29, 44 inbound from Egleston to Jackson)

If a passenger boards a bus with a subway-to-bus transfer, can she
get a bus-to-bus transfer?
(Bus #1 southbound at Mass. Ave. station; bus #39 at Back Bay or Copley;
bus #49 at NEMC)

Is the following a legitimate use of a bus-to-bus transfer?
Board bus #71 in Watertown, take Red Line from Harvard to Broadway,
use transfer to board bus #9 to South Boston.

Ron Newman

unread,
Dec 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/1/00
to
In article <rnewman-0112...@ppp39-154.thecia.net>,
rne...@thecia.net (Ron Newman) wrote:

> > Also: could a passenger get a second transfer?
>
> For that matter ...
>
> If a passenger boards a bus in a fare-free zone, can he get a transfer?
> (Buses 15, 19, 23, 28, 42, 44, 45 inbound from Dudley to Ruggles;
> buses 22, 29, 44 inbound from Egleston to Jackson)
>
> If a passenger boards a bus with a subway-to-bus transfer, can she
> get a bus-to-bus transfer?
> (Bus #1 southbound at Mass. Ave. station; bus #39 at Back Bay or Copley;
> bus #49 at NEMC)

After looking again at http://www.mbta.com/schedmaps/bus/bustransfer.cfm ,
my tentative conclusion is that the answer to all of the above is "No".
It says

Bus Transfer Policy:
Issued free of charge and upon request at time fare is paid.

Handing the drive another transfer, or boarding for free, is not
paying a fare, so you can't get a transfer.

Ron Newman

unread,
Dec 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/1/00
to
On Fri, 01 Dec 2000 17:47:31 GMT, in article <908o7h$hfr$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,
danielk...@my-deja.com stated...

>> - free transfers from bus #49 to the Orange Line at NEMC
>> (why are these free instead of 25 cents?)
>
>Because these transfers were implemented due to the elimination of
>Arborway and Washington Street rail service, respectively. The cost of
>a bus+subway or subway+bus trip in either direction to one of the
>formerly served areas is supposed to be the same as a trip on the
>subway. So inbound the total trip cost is $1 ($.75 bus fare plus $.25
>transfer), and outbound the trip cost is also $1 ($1 subway fare plus
>free transfer).

But please read again what I actually wrote. I asked why the transfer
from the #49 bus to the Orange Line was free instead of costing 25 cents
(like the transfer from the #39 bus to the Orange and Green Lines does).

--
Ron Newman rne...@thecia.net
http://www2.thecia.net/users/rnewman/home.html


SPUI

unread,
Dec 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/1/00
to

"Ron Newman" <rne...@thecia.net> wrote in message
news:rnewman-0112001245090001@ppp39-154.thecia.net...

What about paying with a monthly pass (specifically subway)? Most of the
buses allowed on the pass are because of the free transfers to subway, but
sometimes you are going from the bus to the subway.
--
Daniel Moraseski - from Orlando FL, originally from Manalapan NJ
Now attending MIT (Cambridge MA (near Boston))
http://spui.twu.net - FL NJ and Boston roads, and a list of SPUIs
Editor of http://roadlinks.cjb.net (highway cat of Open Directory Project)

danielk...@my-deja.com

unread,
Dec 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/4/00
to
rne...@thecia.net (Ron Newman) wrote:
> Is the following a legitimate use of a bus-to-bus transfer?
> Board bus #71 in Watertown, take Red Line from Harvard to Broadway,
> use transfer to board bus #9 to South Boston.

IMO that is just fine. And even if it isn't, assuming the 71 and Red
Line don't take more than 2 hours, who would stop you?

If you board a southbound 77A that becomes a through-routed 71 or 73
(or vice versa), do you think the driver would make you ask for a
transfer upon boarding and then give it back to her on the pay-upon-
exit portion of the route after Harvard Square?

I get the feeling the MBTA didn't think about all these weird
exceptions.

Ron Newman

unread,
Dec 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/4/00
to
On Mon, 04 Dec 2000 19:02:05 GMT, in article <90gpn8$d6n$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,
danielk...@my-deja.com stated...

>
>rne...@thecia.net (Ron Newman) wrote:
>> Is the following a legitimate use of a bus-to-bus transfer?
>> Board bus #71 in Watertown, take Red Line from Harvard to Broadway,
>> use transfer to board bus #9 to South Boston.
>
>IMO that is just fine. And even if it isn't, assuming the 71 and Red
>Line don't take more than 2 hours, who would stop you?

I suppose that the #9 driver, seeing a transfer marked as originating
on the #71, might complain that it came from a non-intersecting bus route.
But probably the bus driver is too busy to bother looking.

danielk...@my-deja.com

unread,
Dec 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/5/00
to
Ron Newman <rne...@thecia.net> wrote:
> I suppose that the #9 driver, seeing a transfer marked as originating
> on the #71, might complain that it came from a non-intersecting bus
route.
> But probably the bus driver is too busy to bother looking.

The web page about the transfer says nothing about intersecting routes,
so such a transfer is allowed. That's not to say that a poorly
informed driver wouldn't give you trouble, like the 39 driver who had
no subway transfers but made me pay the only token I had anyway.

karen_...@hms.harvard.edu

unread,
Dec 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/5/00
to
In article <90jilu$m1j$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,

Please report all such happenings to the MBTA - i.e. bus driver not
having subway transfers
You can email them at:

feed...@mbta.com

Karen Wepsic
Federation for Public Transportation

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages