Pedestrian Traffic - South Postal Annex

Ron Newman

Jul 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/8/97

In article <01bc8b43$cd799be0$b108...@calaghan.ici.net>, "Flack"
<fl...@ici.net> wrote:

> Pedestrian traffic along Dotchester Ave through the Post Office Property
> (between South Station and Broadway Street) is being curtailed due to the
> on-going construction. What a bummer!

In what was has it been curtailed, and what construction are you
referring to? Is this related to the Central Artery project or
the South Boston Piers Transitway?

--
Ron Newman rne...@thecia.net
http://www2.thecia.net/users/rnewman/

Flack

Jul 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/9/97

Ron Newman <rne...@thecia.net> wrote in article
<rnewman-ya0240800...@snews2.zippo.com>...

> In what was has it been curtailed, and what construction are you
> referring to? Is this related to the Central Artery project or
> the South Boston Piers Transitway?

The Dot Ave. sidewalk (through the Post Office property) along the Fort
Point Channel from South Station to the Dot Ave. bridge over the channel
has been closed to pedestrian traffic due to the construction of the
roadway connecting the Mass Turnpike to the Ted Williams tunnel. (Is that
the South Boston Piers Transitway?)

This was a very pleasant walk during the nicer weather months of the year
and I will miss it. Alternate walking route is A Street in South Boston
(not as scenic).

Flack

Sheldon Kovitz

Jul 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/9/97

In article <rnewman-ya0240800...@snews2.zippo.com> rne...@thecia.net (Ron Newman) writes:
>In article <01bc8c13$1a123780$2271...@calaghan.ici.net>, "Flack"
><fl...@ici.net> wrote:
>

>No, the South Boston Piers Transitway is an electric bus tunnel from
>South Station to a portal somewhere on the South Boston waterfront.
>Some buses will leave from this portal to go through the Ted Williams
>Tunnel to the airport.
>
>(Why isn't the MBTA considering stringing wires in the Ted Williams
> Tunnel, then? That way, they could avoid the need to buy
> dual-power buses)
>
>--

Is the Piers Transitway to be operated with trackless trolleys as far
as the Fan Pier? I remember last year questioning whether this would
be a trackless trolley project at all since the specifications in the
EIR stated "electric bus."

Ron Newman

Jul 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/9/97

In article <5q0ak4$f4o$1...@news.cs.umb.edu>, sko...@terminus.cs.umb.edu
(Sheldon Kovitz) wrote:

> Is the Piers Transitway to be operated with trackless trolleys as far
> as the Fan Pier? I remember last year questioning whether this would
> be a trackless trolley project at all since the specifications in the
> EIR stated "electric bus."

Isn't an "electric bus" the same thing as a "trackless trolley"?
The things they run on the #71, #72, #73, and #77A lines out of
Harvard Square?

Ron Newman

Jul 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/10/97

In article <33C3E0...@tiac.net>, che...@tiac.net wrote:

> For example, there are busses powered by on-board batteries; powered by
> pantograph pickup from overhead wire;

How can an electric bus use a pantograph? Wouldn't it short-circuit
the two wires?

chessie

Jul 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/12/97

Ron Newman wrote:

> In article <33C3E0...@tiac.net>, che...@tiac.net wrote:
>
> > For example, there are busses powered by on-board batteries; powered by
> > pantograph pickup from overhead wire;
>
> How can an electric bus use a pantograph? Wouldn't it short-circuit
> the two wires?

You can't use a single-bar pan on a two-wire system. You could use a
stagger pan (either two offset bars, or one bar with an insulating break
in the middle) on a two-wire system, perhaps on a guided busway setup.
Or, you could use the pan on single wire to collect and use shoe/third
rail or, in tunnel, a side wire for ground.