Subway lines and railroad

GL

Feb 28, 2003, 8:44:05 PM2/28/03
Do subway lines in Boston have connections with each other? I mean tracks.
They should have them. How were MBTA going to transfer cars between Orange
and Blue lines?
My understanding that subway cars are delivered via railroad. That way there
should be connections to the railroad. Does anyone know anything about this.

GL

Michael Dauria

Feb 28, 2003, 9:08:10 PM2/28/03
I thought they were delivered by truck. Specifically Hallamore trucking.

"GL" <noe...@noemail.zz> wrote in message

RTSPCC

Feb 28, 2003, 9:23:55 PM2/28/03
>From: "GL" noemail@noemail.z

>Do subway lines in Boston have connections with each other? I mean tracks.

No they do not

>They should have them. How were MBTA going to transfer cars between Orange
>and Blue lines?

If they rebuild Blue Line cars to run on the Orange Line, they would be sent
via flat-bed truck from Orient Heights to Hornell NY to be rebuilt.They would
return to Wellington.

>My understanding that subway cars are delivered via railroad.

The 1994 Red Line cars were delivered by truck from the Bombardier plant in
Barre Vermont. The 1988 Red Line cars were delivered via flat car to a final
assembly plant in Mansfield and then via truck to Cabot. The present Blue and
Orange line cars were delivered on their own wheels in 1978-81 via railroad
from the plant in Thunder Bay Ontario. The connection from the B&M East Boston
branch to the Blue Line no longer exists, there is still a connection to the
Orange Line at Wellington but it has not been used in years. A connection from
the Green Line to the Worcester CSX line does exist at Riverside, but is not
used.

Sean

Feb 28, 2003, 11:49:25 PM2/28/03
"RTSPCC" <rts...@aol.com> wrote in message

> from the plant in Thunder Bay Ontario. The connection from the B&M East
Boston
> branch to the Blue Line no longer exists,

Where exactly was this? I never understood abolishing train tracks near the
airport ... given the attempts at improving public transit at the Airport
now, wouldn't commuter rail from the North Shore direct to Logan make some
sense if it were feasible?

> there is still a connection to the
> Orange Line at Wellington but it has not been used in years.

In theory, there could also be connections at Braintree and Forest Hills
relatively easily (with railroad tracks smack up against the ROW).

> A connection from
> the Green Line to the Worcester CSX line does exist at Riverside, but is
not
> used.

Wasn't this used during the floods a few years back, when specials were run
from Riverside into town on the Framingham branch?

D. Kirkpatrick

Mar 1, 2003, 3:58:01 AM3/1/03
In article <FfU7a.299583$be.267144@rwcrnsc53>,
"GL" <noe...@noemail.zz> wrote:

------------

The Orange, Red, and Green lines have at some point along their length a
close parallel to railroad tracks used for freight or passenger train
traffic, or some branch/spur attachment. They all have or had a
connection to rail lines at these points for transferring cars on or off
service via rail

There is no connection for the Blue line to railroad or any other subway
line at this time that I am aware of. Cars would have to be trucked
from the Blue Line to the Orange line.

FWIW, the Blue line cars must be rebuilt before they can be used on the
Orange line as has been suggested/planned at some point when new cars
for the Blue line are finally purchased.

There is a connection between the Mattapan Trolley line and the Red line
subway between Cedar Grove station (trolley) and Ashmont Station (Red
line subway) at the Red line yards. It was used to tack on trolleys to
a Red line work train via a special adapter coupling for purposes of
bringing them into the Cabot St Shops for repairs. Its rather odd
seeing a trolley being towed in the Red Line subway. I've only seen it
once.

David Z Maze

Mar 1, 2003, 10:02:21 AM3/1/03
rts...@aol.com (RTSPCC) writes:

> there is still a connection to the Orange Line at Wellington but it
> has not been used in years.

...where? There clearly isn't anything that crosses the Orange Line
tracks, and I haven't seen a direct connection from the Orange Line to
the adjacent commuter rail. The only thing I can think of is that the
stub track leaving the yard to the north (on the left facing that way)
connects to the Medford Branch, which seems a little indirect, but
it's not as though the connection is used frequently...

--
David Maze dm...@mit.edu http://www.mit.edu/~dmaze/
"Theoretical politics is interesting. Politicking should be illegal."

RTSPCC

Mar 1, 2003, 10:32:49 AM3/1/03
>From: David Z Maze dm...@mit.edu

>...where? There clearly isn't anything that crosses the Orange Line
>tracks, and I haven't seen a direct connection from the Orange Line to
>the adjacent commuter rail. The only thing I can think of is that the
>stub track leaving the yard to the north (on the left facing that way)
>connects to the Medford Branch, which seems a little indirect, but
>it's not as though the connection is used frequently...

That is correct, it connects on the other side of the tracks to the Medford
Branch. It was last used around 1981 as far as I know.

RTSPCC

Mar 1, 2003, 10:48:54 AM3/1/03
>From: "Sean" Absolut...@yahoo.com

>he connection from the B&M East
>Boston
>> branch to the Blue Line no longer exists,
>
>Where exactly was this? I never understood abolishing train tracks near the
>airport ... given the attempts at improving public transit at the Airport
>now, wouldn't commuter rail from the North Shore direct to Logan make some
>sense if it were feasible?

The connection was located between Wood Island and Airport station, just west
of the underpass near Wood Island station. The track snuck under the highway
overpass and connected to the East Boston branch tracks near Bennington St.
(just beyond Day Sq.). This was a low-quality track, low speed connection. O.K.
for delivering rail equipment, but not of much use for any type of revenue
service.Last used in 1980 when deliveries of the present cars was completed.

>> there is still a connection to the
>> Orange Line at Wellington but it has not been used in years.
>
>In theory, there could also be connections at Braintree and Forest Hills
>relatively easily (with railroad tracks smack up against the ROW).

There once was an awkward connection to the Mattapan line near Central Ave.
from the now abandoned Neponset Branch, and there still is a connection between
the Mattapan-Ashmont line and the Red Line at Ashmont.

>> A connection from
>> the Green Line to the Worcester CSX line does exist at Riverside, but is
>not
>> used.
>
>Wasn't this used during the floods a few years back, when specials were run
>from Riverside into town on the Framingham branch?

Yes, they had just rebuilt the rail as part of the reconstruction of Riverside
yard in 1995/96, so it was in good enough shape to operate a commuter train
over it (at low speed).
This track was used for testing the new wheel profiles on Type 8 3808 last
year. Before the track was rebuilt for the yard work, it was used as a storage
rail in the late 1970s and 1980s for wrecked Boeing LRVs waiting to be
scrapped.

RTSPCC

Mar 1, 2003, 10:58:32 AM3/1/03
>From: "D. Kirkpatrick" sun...@sunclad.com

>There is a connection between the Mattapan Trolley line and the Red line
>subway between Cedar Grove station (trolley) and Ashmont Station (Red
>line subway) at the Red line yards. It was used to tack on trolleys to
>a Red line work train via a special adapter coupling for purposes of
>bringing them into the Cabot St Shops for repairs. Its rather odd
>seeing a trolley being towed in the Red Line subway. I've only seen it
>once.

It was used from about 1956 to 1971 to tow Mattapan PCCs to the Eliot shops
near Harvard Sq. for repairs. In 1971, they built a small repair pit at
Mattapan and stopped the practice of towing PCCs to Eliot. They now truck
Mattapan PCCs to Riverside for major rebuild work ( a few were rebuilt at
Orient Heights), and used to truck them to Watertown or Everett shops when
those facilities were used for PCC heavy repair work. They have never brought a
PCC to Cabot shops, which replaced Eliot as the Red Line repair facility in
1974/75.
The connection at Ashmont is still in place, but is just used for track
maintenance equipment to shift between the lines.

Sean

Mar 1, 2003, 12:21:53 PM3/1/03

> The connection was located between Wood Island and Airport station, just
west
> of the underpass near Wood Island station. The track snuck under the
highway
> overpass and connected to the East Boston branch tracks near Bennington
St.
> (just beyond Day Sq.). This was a low-quality track, low speed connection.
O.K.
> for delivering rail equipment, but not of much use for any type of revenue
> service.Last used in 1980 when deliveries of the present cars was
completed.

Yes, I believe they use part of this track now (or did when I was back in
high school a few years back) for storage of a work car.

> There once was an awkward connection to the Mattapan line near Central
Ave.
> from the now abandoned Neponset Branch, and there still is a connection
between
> the Mattapan-Ashmont line and the Red Line at Ashmont.

I remember seeing a picture from the 1950s in Rollsign years ago showing a
Budd (?) car and a Type 5 (?) side-by-side at Central...was an interesting
sight.

D. Kirkpatrick

Mar 1, 2003, 4:33:02 PM3/1/03
In article <20030228212355...@mb-ba.aol.com>,
rts...@aol.com (RTSPCC) wrote:

> The 1994 Red Line cars were delivered by truck from the Bombardier plant in
> Barre Vermont. The 1988 Red Line cars were delivered via flat car to a final
> assembly plant in Mansfield and then via truck to Cabot. The present Blue and
> Orange line cars were delivered on their own wheels in 1978-81 via railroad
> from the plant in Thunder Bay Ontario. The connection from the B&M East Boston
> branch to the Blue Line no longer exists, there is still a connection to the
> Orange Line at Wellington but it has not been used in years. A connection from
> the Green Line to the Worcester CSX line does exist at Riverside, but is not
> used.

There is a connection to the RR at JFK/UMass to the Red line. It can be
seen from the end of either the Dorchester or Quincy platforms. Its
fenced off of course, but there.