Suspected serial rapist charged in six attacks in Massachusetts city

hamilton

Apr 15, 2022, 7:05:02 PM4/15/22
An accused serial rapist has been charged in connection with six
attacks in the West Springfield area.

Ali Ghaffar, 20, faces numerous charges, including multiple
counts of aggravated rape, rape and kidnapping. Investigators
say Ghaffar would offer women a ride and drive them to a remote
area of West Springfield, where he would sexually assault them.

The most recent assault was reported March 24. Police found a
woman walking alone on the Massachusetts Turnpike around 9:50
p.m. That woman told police she had accepted a ride from a man
in the area of Marble Street. The man drove her to the Bearhole
Reservoir area, where he threatened her with a gun and raped
her, she told police.

She described the attacker as a man in his early 20s, with long
hair and a tan complexion.

Investigators identified several similar sexual assaults over
the previous eight months. Police say they determined the car
described by survivors belonged to Ghaffar and arrested him
March 31 — as another woman was about to get in his car.

In a statement, the Hampden District Attorney’s office said
investigators “stopped another rape before it could happen.”

“The suspect in this case was preying upon vulnerable women,”
Hampden District Attorney Anthony Gulluni said. “While his
conduct was becoming more frequent and bold, State Police
investigators in my office and our local partners marshaled
resources over mere hours and conducted an outstanding
investigation knowing that women remained at risk. This rapid
and formidable deployment occurred to protect the public from
further harm. I am very proud and appreciative of all involved.”

Ghaffar is being held without bail pending a dangerousness
hearing on April 21. The district attorney is asking additional
potential survivors to come forward and speak with investigators.

https://news.yahoo.com/massachusetts-officials-announce-arrest-
alleged-130713173.html