GotBooks - scam or good thing

Cheryl Isaak

Oct 23, 2010, 7:44:56 AM10/23/10
Ok - I have a bunch of books I want to donate, including older stuff, that
the library can't/won't take.

I see these "dumpsters: for GotBooks and the flyers for "Used Book
SuperStore" - which is supposedly a charity sending books or money to
literacy programs world wide..

But I have been unable to determine fact from fiction ... Are they doing
good or truly the scammers some make them out to be.

Otherwise, I'm taking them to Goodwill even though I'm not as thrilled with
them on a local level.

Thanks

Cheryl

Paul

Oct 23, 2010, 10:59:15 AM10/23/10
Cheryl Isaak <chery...@comcast.net> wrote in

There is a Got Books container at our transfer station, for
residents, and several public ones at other nearby locations. I'm
not sure that I care what they do with my old books, as long as they
get a chance of being reused before being shredded.

Most of our stuff does go to Goodwill (Portsmouth) however.

There is a new Savers store in Newington, which seems to be large and
well organized. They also seem (from observations on site) to take
things that others do not, such as TVs, computers, and electronic
gear (or maybe not, per their web site.) When I get more organized,
I will find out just how much of my old junk they will take!

Also, the Salvation Army is planning to build a thrift store in
Portsmouth.

--
Paul

Cheryl Isaak

Oct 27, 2010, 6:38:32 AM10/27/10
On 10/23/10 10:59 AM, in article Xns9E1A6FC...@188.40.43.230, "Paul"
<pssa...@comcast.net.INVALID> wrote:

I guess I don't like that I give them my books, they claim they are
reselling them supposedly to give to charity and appear reselling and
pocketing the proceeds and there isn't much actually going to any charity or
literacy program.

BTW, there is now a Savers in Nashua NH as well.

jerry

Oct 27, 2010, 10:33:39 AM10/27/10

Paul

Oct 27, 2010, 5:49:28 PM10/27/10
jerry <jjw...@verizon.net> wrote in
m:

Another "donation bin" operation to watch out for is Planet Aid.

--
Paul

Cheryl Isaak

Oct 29, 2010, 6:38:39 AM10/29/10
On 10/27/10 5:49 PM, in article Xns9E1EB55...@188.40.43.230, "Paul"
<pssa...@comcast.net.INVALID> wrote:

Why am I not surprised.....just turning into a cynic in my old age

Cheryl Isaak

Oct 31, 2010, 8:14:28 AM10/31/10
On 10/27/10 10:33 AM, in article
d43e7232-d1e3-4516...@k22g2000yqh.googlegroups.com, "jerry"
<jjw...@verizon.net> wrote:

Thanks Jerry! I've decided they're a bad place to place my books.

Cheryl

RP

Dec 11, 2010, 3:03:32 PM12/11/10

"Cheryl Isaak" <chery...@comcast.net> wrote in message

> Ok - I have a bunch of books I want to donate, including older stuff, that
> the library can't/won't take.
>
> I see these "dumpsters: for GotBooks and the flyers for "Used Book
> SuperStore" - which is supposedly a charity sending books or money to
> literacy programs world wide..
>
> But I have been unable to determine fact from fiction ... Are they doing
> good or truly the scammers some make them out to be.

I think Used Book SuperStore is acually a for-profit that makes some
donations to charities.

Frankly, I don't care, if someone will take them and put them to good use,
and off my hands, I am happy and don't care if they incurr some kind of
profit.

Better than having them sit in a landfill before their time.

$.02