What happened to Ruggles?

MickL

Mar 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/1/00
I miss Ruggles Pizza and cant find any record that they ever
existed. first washington st closed then Harv. Sq. please post
any info you have on them (recipies, new name ,why they folded,
etc)

Dan Logcher

Mar 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/1/00
MickL wrote:

> I miss Ruggles Pizza and cant find any record that they ever
> existed. first washington st closed then Harv. Sq. please post
> any info you have on them (recipies, new name ,why they folded,
> etc)

Oh yeah.. I ate there a few times. It was ok, and thats probably why it went
away. I don't recall it ever being packed, and the pizza was rather
unconventional
for the area.

--
Dan

EM42

Mar 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/2/00
Ah yes, Ruggles.

During a low phase of my employment history I drove one of those English double
decker buses that used to run a shuttle route through downtown Boston. Ruggles
would give us half off on our meals in order to say that "English" bus drivers
came there to eat their "English" pizza.

Even at half price, cheddar cheese on pizza was a bit strange.

Joanie

Mar 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/2/00
In article <38BDA6FD...@110.net>
Dan Logcher <dlogcher*xspam*@110.net> writes:

Hmm, I just thought it was cuz there were a thousand places
you could get better pizza. Weren't they supposed to be some
sort of English style pizza? And we all know how great the
English are with pizza. (Altho when I was there last April,
they had some brick oven places that were pretty good. But
they looked at me like I was crazy when I asked for a white
pizza.)

Joanie

ad...@parrot.net

Mar 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/2/00
Also spracht MickL <mp414N...@yahoo.com.invalid>:

> I miss Ruggles Pizza and cant find any record that they ever
> existed. first washington st closed then Harv. Sq. please post
> any info you have on them (recipies, new name ,why they folded,
> etc)

I think they folded because the entire idea of serving English "food"*
is revolting. Just an opinion, of course.

--
{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{} \|/
{} RogerW rog...@newsguy.com {} 0< -- parrot.net!

* This acknowledges the fact that cheddar cheese pizza is not, in fact,
bonafide Anglo cuisine.

Christopher C Stacy

Mar 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/2/00
I always liked to get a cheddar cheese pizza every now and then, but
apparently I was in a small minority. I think maybe they had some
special kind of oven which was hotter or something than the brick ones.

devoted...@gmail.com

Jan 25, 2013, 2:33:16 PM1/25/13
It is interesting to discover that others are wondering what ever happened to Ruggles English Pizza. I practically lived in that place (downtown location) in the 80s and to this day still add cheddar cheese to almost all most pizza. I love the taste.

devoted...@gmail.com

Jan 25, 2013, 2:33:59 PM1/25/13

Dan Logcher

Jan 25, 2013, 4:36:24 PM1/25/13
Wow, that went bye bye so long ago.. think I only got to eat there once.

--
Dan

Uri Guttman

Jan 29, 2013, 2:50:35 AM1/29/13

DL> devoted...@gmail.com wrote:
>> On Thursday, March 2, 2000 3:00:00 AM UTC-5, Christopher C Stacy wrote:
>>
>>> I always liked to get a cheddar cheese pizza every now and then, but
>>> apparently I was in a small minority. I think maybe they had some
>>> special kind of oven which was hotter or something than the brick ones.
>>

>> It is interesting to discover that others are wondering what ever happened to Ruggles English Pizza. I practically lived in that place (downtown location) in the 80s and to this day still add cheddar cheese to almost all most pizza. I love the taste.

DL> Wow, that went bye bye so long ago.. think I only got to eat there once.

i recall one in harvard sq. they had some all you can eat deal from a
table of premade slices. small pizzas (maybe 8-10"?). i can't recall the
quality or taste since it is WAY too long ago. maybe 25-30 years

google found this article from 1988 in the harvard crimson:

http://www.thecrimson.com/article/1988/4/26/pushing-english-pizza-in-the-square/

several other blogs talk about it. i searched for "ruggles pizza
harvard"

uri

John Levine

Jan 29, 2013, 6:08:11 PM1/29/13
>i recall one in harvard sq. they had some all you can eat deal from a

Yeah, it was right in the middle of the square. The pizza was better
than I would have expected. I'm pretty sure they were there when I
moved to Cambridge in 1981, but folded not long afterward.

FWIW, I've had pizza in England, and it's nothing like that.

--
Regards,
John Levine, jo...@iecc.com, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",

Rich Carreiro

Apr 18, 2013, 12:02:27 PM4/18/13
devoted...@gmail.com writes:

>It is interesting to discover that others are wondering what ever
>happened to Ruggles English Pizza. I practically lived in that place
>(downtown location) in the 80s and to this day still add cheddar cheese
>to almost all most pizza. I love the taste.

Good to hear I'm not the only one! I loved that place.

--
Rich Carreiro rlc-...@rlcarr.com

Rich Carreiro

Apr 18, 2013, 12:03:44 PM4/18/13
John Levine <jo...@iecc.com> writes:

>>i recall one in harvard sq. they had some all you can eat deal from a
>
>Yeah, it was right in the middle of the square. The pizza was better
>than I would have expected. I'm pretty sure they were there when I
>moved to Cambridge in 1981, but folded not long afterward.

Given that I ate there, they had to have lasted at least
until 1985. But when I think about who I recall eating
there with, I believe it must've made it to at least 1991.

--
Rich Carreiro rlc-...@rlcarr.com

remy...@gmail.com

May 4, 2018, 9:38:32 AM5/4/18
I loved Ruggles pizxs on Boylstpn st bpston

ava...@gmail.com

May 17, 2019, 12:22:05 PM5/17/19
I loved that place too. Personal size pizzas with your favorite smothered with your favorite toppings. Has anyone figured out what happened to them or if they changed their name?

ajthoroughb...@gmail.com

Jun 26, 2019, 9:53:17 AM6/26/19
That was a very special place for my family and I growing up. I wish I could they were still in business

dsalo...@bishopfeehan.com

Feb 1, 2020, 2:23:15 PM2/1/20
Funny there are comments out there. I was thinking about this place today. I loved their pizza and you could get a baked potato with it!!! Who else does that? It was a favorite combo for me in the early 80’s. I miss the whole area as it was. Tello’s was right there Lots of great shopping and then lunch at Ruggles!

TesserId

Oct 13, 2021, 11:14:45 AM10/13/21
Yeah, I loved it too. Problem is that it's practically walking distance from some of the best conventional pizza in the country.

John Levine

Oct 13, 2021, 11:41:40 PM10/13/21
According to TesserId <tesserid...@mailnull.com>:
>Yeah, I loved it too. Problem is that it's practically walking distance from some of the best conventional pizza in the country.

You must be quite a dedicated pedestrian to walk all the way from Cambridge to New Haven.

--
Regards,
John Levine, jo...@taugh.com, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",