Vernor's Ginger-Ale in NE?

firepuss

Feb 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/7/00
I grew up in Michigan and stock up on Vernor's and Faygo Rock & Rye
whenever I visit the family. The long-gone F&M drugstore chain used to
sell it in Natick - that's the only place I ever saw it in Mass. You
can order it online at:

http://www.grocexp.com/

Tom Galloway

Feb 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/7/00
In article <FpKuK...@world.std.com>,
Paul Ciszek <pci...@antiabuseworld.std.com> wrote:
>I would like to obtain some Vernor's ginger-ale for an upcoming birthday
>party. Does it exist east of Colorado?

While I can't help on locating it in the Boston area, it should probably
be noted that Vernor's is based in Detroit, so it certainly exists east
of Colorado.

tyg t...@netcom.com

Bob Methelis

Feb 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/9/00
On Mon, 07 Feb 2000 22:14:48 GMT, firepuss <fire...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

Tell us about Faygo Rock&Rye. I love their Raspberry Cream.

I have had "real" Rock&Rye which is rye whiskey mellowed with rock
candy. Mr. Boston Distillers used to produceit butU haven;lt seen it
in years. I assume the Faygo R&R is a soda. What type uf flavor.

Bob Methelis

Bob-in-NJ on IRC
Visit my web site: http://www.jungle.net/bob

firepuss

Feb 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/9/00
Faygo Rock & Rye is sort of red cream soda & cola & cherry; unlike Dr.
Pepper, the cola flavor does not predominate. It comes in diet, too. :)

I don't know how far west you have to go to find Faygo. Maybe W. NY,
but I know it's in Ohio. I picked up a case at Mom's last summer.

Ob Vernors: My college roommate worked at the Detroit Historical Museum
one summer; when I visited, I was shown a barrel used for aging
Vernor's. Visitors were encouraged to stick their heads in and get a
whiff of the ginger.

Bob Methelis

Feb 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/10/00
On Wed, 09 Feb 2000 15:39:28 GMT, firepuss <fire...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Faygo Rock & Rye is sort of red cream soda & cola & cherry; unlike Dr.
>Pepper, the cola flavor does not predominate. It comes in diet, too. :)

Sounds good.

>I don't know how far west you have to go to find Faygo. Maybe W. NY,
>but I know it's in Ohio.

Most NJ super markets carry Faygo in the 16 oz bottle. I have yet to
see R&R but we do get a handful of flavors.

Gastronome

Feb 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/11/00
>Most NJ super markets carry Faygo in the 16 oz bottle. I have yet to
>see R&R but we do get a handful of flavors.

Since I'm in NJ til Sunday, I'll look for it.. I was in a Shop-Rite today, and
looked for Doo-Dads (no such luck). I also looked for unusual sodas...there was
of course Stewart's, but I can get those in the Boston area anyway.. there was
also Sioux City (too many strange ingredients that have no place in soda).. and
then there was something like "Bob's Real Philadelphia Root Beer" that looked
pretty interesting. I may pick that up.. the same brand also featured a Black
Cherry Wishniak flavor. I don't recall seeing Fargo, but I wasn't specifically
looking for it either.

Any other delicacies available in NJ that aren't available in MA that I should
look for? (I live near Boston).

Anyone want me to pick up anything? :)

Art
gastr...@aol.com

Bob Methelis

Feb 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/11/00
On 11 Feb 2000 04:41:04 GMT, gastr...@aol.com (Gastronome) wrote:

>Since I'm in NJ til Sunday, I'll look for it.. I was in a Shop-Rite today, and
>looked for Doo-Dads (no such luck). I also looked for unusual sodas...there was
>of course Stewart's, but I can get those in the Boston area anyway..

>Any other delicacies available in NJ that aren't available in MA that I should

>look for? (I live near Boston).

The three ShopRites near me (Morris County about 20 miles west of
Newark) all carry Faygo. Good luck.

NORTHERN NJ is a suburb of NYC and carries NYC "goods" Look for
Manhattan coffee soda in the "Gourmet" Deli area. It's quite good -
expresso flavor. See snapper soup refernce below - sometimes is
available in northern NJ.

I do miss Simpson Springs Coffee soda - it was sold around the Foxboro
area but they stopped making the coffee. Haven't seen any Simpson
Springs on my last few trips to Boston area. Did theygo out of
business? Their golden ginger ale was also a treat.

SOUTHERN NJ is a suburb of Philadelphia. If you are down there,
look for scrapple (almost any brand is OK) and Bookbinder's Snapper
soup. It's made out of snapper turtles and is a Phila specialty.
Very rich and deep flavor. If you can bring back frozen food, do pick
up from the freezer section, REAL thinky sliced sandwich steaks for
Philly steak sandwiches. They have been replaced by the terrible,
obnoxious, and vile Steak-Ums everywhere else!

Have a good trip
You really should try Taylor Ham It's sort of the state dish ;-).
It's sold near the bacon and packlged cold cuts. It comes either in a
roll or pre-sliced packages (go for the thin cut). It's a mishmosh of
ham and pork, yet not Spam-like. (The store brand versions are not as
good.) It is simply lightly pan-grilled and served as a breakfast
meat or as a sandwich. It is habit forming - despite initial
impressions.

John R Levine

Feb 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/11/00
>SOUTHERN NJ is a suburb of Philadelphia. If you are down there,
>look for scrapple (almost any brand is OK)

... so long as it's made in Pennsylvania or Delaware. The most
popular brand is Habersett's (Media, PA), but I like Dietz & Watson
(PA), and Rapa (DE) just as well. Don't get Jones, it's no good and
if you were unwise enough to like it, you could get it locally.

If you're wondering what scrapple is, it's a loaf of mostly cornmeal
much with finely ground pork somethings and seasonings mixed in. You
slice it about 1/4 in thick, fry it a until it gets crusty, and eat it
for breakfast.

> You really should try Taylor Ham. It's sort of the state dish ;-).

No "sort of" about it. But it hasn't officially been called Taylor
Ham for years, it's now called Pork Roll, but it's still just as
delicious. There are two name brands, both made in Trenton NJ, of
which I prefer Taylor.

> It's sold near the bacon and packlged cold cuts. It comes either in
> a roll or pre-sliced packages (go for the thin cut). It's a
> mishmosh of ham and pork, yet not Spam-like. (The store brand
> versions are not as good.) It is simply lightly pan-grilled and
> served as a breakfast meat or as a sandwich. It is habit forming -
> despite initial impressions.

No kidding. I just finished my stash, gotta come up with an excuse
to head back and score some more.

--
John R. Levine, IECC, POB 727, Trumansburg NY 14886 +1 607 387 6869
jo...@iecc.com, Village Trustee and Sewer Commissioner, http://iecc.com/johnl,

Charles Demas

Feb 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/12/00
In article <38a4918f...@news.jungle.net>,

Bob Methelis <bobme...@jungle.net> wrote:
>On 11 Feb 2000 04:41:04 GMT, gastr...@aol.com (Gastronome) wrote:
>
>>Since I'm in NJ til Sunday, I'll look for it.. I was in a Shop-Rite today, and
>>looked for Doo-Dads (no such luck). I also looked for unusual sodas...there was
>>of course Stewart's, but I can get those in the Boston area anyway..
>
>>Any other delicacies available in NJ that aren't available in MA that I should
>>look for? (I live near Boston).
>

>The three ShopRites near me (Morris County about 20 miles west of
>Newark) all carry Faygo. Good luck.
>
>NORTHERN NJ is a suburb of NYC and carries NYC "goods" Look for
>Manhattan coffee soda in the "Gourmet" Deli area. It's quite good -
>expresso flavor. See snapper soup refernce below - sometimes is
>available in northern NJ.
>
>I do miss Simpson Springs Coffee soda - it was sold around the Foxboro
>area but they stopped making the coffee. Haven't seen any Simpson
>Springs on my last few trips to Boston area. Did theygo out of
>business? Their golden ginger ale was also a treat.
>
>SOUTHERN NJ is a suburb of Philadelphia. If you are down there,
>look for scrapple (almost any brand is OK) and Bookbinder's Snapper
>soup. It's made out of snapper turtles and is a Phila specialty.
>Very rich and deep flavor. If you can bring back frozen food, do pick
>up from the freezer section, REAL thinky sliced sandwich steaks for
>Philly steak sandwiches. They have been replaced by the terrible,
>obnoxious, and vile Steak-Ums everywhere else!
>
>Have a good trip
>You really should try Taylor Ham It's sort of the state dish ;-).

>It's sold near the bacon and packlged cold cuts. It comes either in a
>roll or pre-sliced packages (go for the thin cut). It's a mishmosh of
>ham and pork, yet not Spam-like. (The store brand versions are not as
>good.) It is simply lightly pan-grilled and served as a breakfast
>meat or as a sandwich. It is habit forming - despite initial
>impressions.

Considering that Art (Gastronome) doesn't eat meat, your recomendations
won't be of that much use to him, but if I ever get down there, I'll
try to remember your suggestions.

Chuck Demas
Needham, Mass.

--
Eat Healthy | _ _ | Nothing would be done at all,
Stay Fit | @ @ | If a man waited to do it so well,

ohiotruc...@gmail.com

Feb 12, 2018, 9:30:40 PM2/12/18
Hello,
You can goto Walmart.com and request it from any State that Sells Vernors like Ohio and have it shipped to your local Walmart for Free and then you just pick it up. This is able to be done with any item that you want to purchase that you know is available in other States.

John Levine

Feb 13, 2018, 12:38:21 PM2/13/18
I am sure that the person who asked that question eighteen years ago
will be relieved finally to get an answer.

--
Regards,
John Levine, jo...@iecc.com, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",