Finally Michael's

cor...@law.harvard.edu

Apr 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/17/98

Have any of you anything you can tell me about Finally Michael's in
Framingham?

Donna Sullivan

Apr 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/17/98

I have eaten there several times for dinner. It is an interesting
restaurant with quiet booths and bookshelves lining the walls. It is a
good place to have a leisurely dinner. The atmosphere is nice and the wait
staff never makes you feel rushed. They also have a nice lounge where you
can sit waiting for someone to arrive. It is one of few "bar/lounges" that
as a woman I felt comfortable in alone.

The food is moderately expensive. I have enjoyed the salmon and other
seafood dishes there; a friend was less enthusiatic about the chicken
dish she had. I'd say the food is good but not exceptional. I do however
think the atmosphere is a winner. It is not usually crowded during the
week.

Donna Sullivan

P McCarthy

Apr 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/17/98

Wonder if it's the same Michael of "Finally Michael's" in Peabody about
ten years ago. They were on Route 1 where Bertucci's is now.
--
Phil McCarthy
pmcc...@mediaone.net

John F. Gallagher

Apr 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/18/98
to pmcc...@mediaone.net

Finally Michael's sister operation, Michael's on
the Waterfront, just closed a few weeks ago. I don't
know what impact this will have on the Framingham
operation but there was a lease ad in a publication not
long ago for the Route 9 Framingham restaurant site.
Apparently, the rent is outrageous.

The old restaurant in Peabody where Bertucci's now sits
was called Michael's Grand Cru. I used to go there often
and it was one of the first restaurants to have a real wine
bar with Cruvinet (nitrogen preserved) machine. Rack of
lamb was one of the big specialties as well as a large, fresh
salad bar.

John Gallagher

Michael Meissner

Apr 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/20/98

cor...@law.harvard.edu writes:

> Have any of you anything you can tell me about Finally Michael's in
> Framingham?

When we lived in Framingham (~12 years ago), and Westborough/Worcester before
that it was one of our favorite places. My wife in particular, loved the prime
rib, saying it was the best prime rib ever, and I tended to love the seafood or
lamb, and we both enjoyed the great salad bar they used to have. The second to
last time we there (~ 2 or 3 years ago) it had already started going downhill
(mostly little things were no longer being done, the salad bar for instance was
mostly just lettuce, and didn't have special breads, etc.). The last time we
went there (last year, possibly the year before last), it was really below
average, and the prime rib was horrible (the seafood was adequate at best).
Unless you own a time machine, don't go.

--
Michael Meissner, Cygnus Solutions (Massachusetts office)
4th floor, 955 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA

Christine

Apr 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/21/98

In article <353798...@law.harvard.edu>
cor...@law.harvard.edu writes:

> Have any of you anything you can tell me about Finally Michael's in
> Framingham?

The food is really quite good and creative considering the area. I
like eating on the bar side, rather than the big restaurant side. The
bar side is cozy/casually elegant, with lots of wood, a fireplace,
comfortable tables as well as a small bar. You can order from a cafe
menu that is quite reasonable. Often you get the exact same meal as
you would get in the dining room, for about 2/3 the price (I think it's
about $8 - 13 dollars for regular entrees - less for
pizza/pasta/sandwiches). You can also order from the full dining room
menu. The entrees come with excellent side dishes. You don't have to
order anything extra to get a well-roudned meal with lots of fun
flavors.

I recommend it is one of the few places to get good, creative,
flavorfull, "modern" cuisine in the Framingham area. Try the cioppino
off the appetizer section of the dining room menu. It is about $5.50
(but my memory could fail me) and is enough for a light meal when
rounded out with one of their little fresh-baked bread loaves.

My one criticism is that it is a bit uneven. I think their second chef
is pretty bad compared with their regular chef. I've had some terribly
overcooked meals there, but keep going back because when it's good,
it's very very good. I don't know the best way to ensure that you're
going on a night when the regular chef is cooking, though I suppose you
could call ahead. Also, the kitchen can get way backed up if it's too
crowded, so I would avoid primetime weekend dining there. (week days
are fine)

I hope they don't close!!!

Christine

Christine

Apr 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/22/98

In article <sy1zusz...@tiktok.cygnus.com>
Michael Meissner <meis...@cygnus.com> writes:

Are we sure we're talking about the same place? I don't think Finally
Michael's has a salad bar.

One thing I will note (in agreement! :-) ... if I still lived in
Cambridge, or anywhere within a civilized distance of Boston, NO WAY
would I bother to drive out to Finally Michael's. But when you're
stuck living in Westborough, it's one of the best options within a 15
minute drive.

Christine

rbar...@bigfoot.com

Apr 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/22/98

In article <6hiecg$r...@mufasa.harvard.edu>,

Porter_C@*gonzo.tch.harvard.edu (Christine) wrote:

> In article <353798...@law.harvard.edu>
> cor...@law.harvard.edu writes:
>
> > Have any of you anything you can tell me about Finally Michael's in
> > Framingham?
>
> The food is really quite good and creative considering the area. I
> like eating on the bar side, rather than the big restaurant side. The
> bar side is cozy/casually elegant, with lots of wood, a fireplace,
> comfortable tables as well as a small bar.

<snip>

> I recommend it is one of the few places to get good, creative,
> flavorfull, "modern" cuisine in the Framingham area

<snip>

I agree with the recommendation to eat on the Cafe side, but for creative
food in this area, try the Oregon Club which is less than 10 minutes away. A
big step up in food quality and creativity, but not a lot more expensive than
the restaurant side of Finally Michael's.

Charles Demas

Apr 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/22/98

>In article <sy1zusz...@tiktok.cygnus.com>
>Michael Meissner <meis...@cygnus.com> writes:
>
>Are we sure we're talking about the same place? I don't think Finally
>Michael's has a salad bar.

I think it has/had one, but I haven't been there in years. I'm not a
fan of salad bars, I prefer to have my salad brought to me, but that
can be a problem too. As an example, the salads at Ken's Steak House
are perhaps the worst I've had.

As I recall, Finally Michael's has/had team waiting, and I always felt
somewhat rushed by it. I thought the prices were a bit high for what
you got, not a lot, just a dollar or two.

They had a good wine bar (equipment wise). I'm not a big wine drinker,
but I did like the technology. I _am_ a technology freak. :-)

>One thing I will note (in agreement! :-) ... if I still lived in
>Cambridge, or anywhere within a civilized distance of Boston, NO WAY
>would I bother to drive out to Finally Michael's. But when you're
>stuck living in Westborough, it's one of the best options within a 15
>minute drive.

I dunno, I used to really like the Wildwood in Westboro. IIRC, it had
a good/great prime rib and huge nachos. I don't get there often, as I
live in Needham. It's been several years, so things may have changed.
I hope not.

Wildwood Steakhouse
Rt 20, Marlborough, MA 01752
(508) 481-2021

Chuck Demas
Needham, Mass.

--
Eat Healthy | _ _ | Nothing would be done at all,
Stay Fit | @ @ | If a man waited to do it so well,

Michael Meissner

Apr 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/23/98

Porter_C@*gonzo.tch.harvard.edu (Christine) writes:

> Are we sure we're talking about the same place? I don't think Finally
> Michael's has a salad bar.

In the past, they had the salad and bread in the western side wall, on the wall
separating the private function room.

> One thing I will note (in agreement! :-) ... if I still lived in
> Cambridge, or anywhere within a civilized distance of Boston, NO WAY
> would I bother to drive out to Finally Michael's. But when you're
> stuck living in Westborough, it's one of the best options within a 15
> minute drive.

Well I nowadays live in Ayer, though I work in Cambridge (ie, I'm used to
travelling). If it wasn't for the prime rib, we might not have travelled as
far to go the Finally Michaels. While I haven't been there in a few years,
Elizabeths/now Indian Meadows was also a good restaruant, particularly for the
Sunday brunch.

ccir...@gmail.com

Aug 23, 2016, 10:58:41 AM8/23/16
On Friday, April 17, 1998 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-4, P McCarthy wrote:
> Wonder if it's the same Michael of "Finally Michael's" in Peabody about
> ten years ago. They were on Route 1 where Bertucci's is now.
> --
> Phil McCarthy
> pmcc...@mediaone.net
> http://pmccarthy.ne.mediaone.net/
> http://people.ne.mediaone.net/pmccarthy
> http://ni.umd.edu/gnttype/www/buick.html

It was.. Michael Gillen

Local Yokel

Dec 10, 2016, 12:56:43 PM12/10/16
Wow! Responding to a post from 1998!

Impressive!

<ccir...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Dan Logcher

Dec 12, 2016, 12:45:25 PM12/12/16
Ah that takes me back..

--
Dan
Message has been deleted

ccir...@gmail.com

Dec 15, 2017, 8:58:32 AM12/15/17
I worked there for about a year in 1987… It was a pretty cutting-edge restaurant at the time… I remember Michael owning three or four restaurants… Gills grill in Westborough, Michael's grand cru and one other Michaels restaurant ( maybe in Peabody? ). The chef was Bill Sullivan ( sully ). He was a good man

Chris c