Não é mais possível fazer postagens ou usar assinaturas novas da Usenet nos Grupos do Google. O conteúdo histórico continua disponível.

Warburton's

362 visualizações
Pular para a primeira mensagem não lida

Vicki B

não lida,
27 de dez. de 2001, 00:25:2827/12/2001
para
Warburton's started out with a completely different menu and concept
from Au Bon Pain. I don't even think they were owned by Au Bon Pain
when they started. They had some kind of Welsh pasty as their
featured food item.

I think I must be getting older than dirt if I'm the only one on this
thread who remembers back when Warburton's opened.

sjl

não lida,
27 de dez. de 2001, 07:25:3827/12/2001
para
I remember the original Warburton's (no comment on any comparisons
between my age and dirt) -- It was actually my first "real" job -- I
applied before the doors opened and worked there for a few years.

They had absolutely fantastic muffins and more than a dozen breads
that they made in the back of the store (the layout was completely
different than it is now-- a counter up near the windows and the rest
of the store taken up with giant ovens and kitchen). The pasty you
referred to was called a "Cornish pasty" and contained ground beef,
potatoes and spices. The place was incredibly popular -- I remember
looking up at this sea of faces 7 or 8 deep for what seemed like hours
at a time when I was working behind the counter.

The parent company was a bakery in England.

vick...@yahoo.com (Vicki B) wrote in message news:<e29f2ddb.0112...@posting.google.com>...

Muckerheide

não lida,
27 de dez. de 2001, 08:06:2227/12/2001
para
No, older that dirt would be if you remembered when Warmuth's opened¡

Great old Boston institution, RIP.

On another topic, although this group consistently avoids recipes, does
anyone know of a cookbook that would feature such delicacies as Warmuth's
rum buns, G ilcrist's macaroons, Jordan Marsh Blueberry muffins, Dorothy
Muriel's Beacon Hill cake? These all go back at least to the 50's when I
first sampled them, but were so yummy, compared to the brown-and-serve
offerings at places like Star, Stop and Shop, Roche's and even B&C. I
swear, they are all mass-produced at some communist-inspired community
outside Dayton and shipped all over the country ready to be given the
tan-o-rama treatment and sold as pastry.

Cheaper isn't usually better, unless you are a stockholder, and even then it
may not work out in the long run.

And while I'm at it, "Auntie Mimo" (from the North End) used to be a
contributor to the Herald's version of "Confidential Chat". She was writing
a cook book-- this was YEARS ago. Did it ever come out? She had an awesome
recipe for meatballs that I am sad to have lost many moons ago. Wondered if
she was still around.

Linda

Mary Malmros

não lida,
27 de dez. de 2001, 11:44:0127/12/2001
para
In article <B85087AA.AB39%mucke...@mediaone.net>,

Muckerheide <mucke...@mediaone.net> wrote:
>No, older that dirt would be if you remembered when Warmuth's opened¡
>
>Great old Boston institution, RIP.
>
>On another topic, although this group consistently avoids recipes, does
>anyone know of a cookbook that would feature such delicacies as Warmuth's
>rum buns, G ilcrist's macaroons, Jordan Marsh Blueberry muffins, Dorothy
>Muriel's Beacon Hill cake?

Some of these you might find on websites dedicated to copycat
food -- about.com has some, I believe.

--
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
Mary Malmros Very Small Being mal...@shore.net

Ron Newman

não lida,
27 de dez. de 2001, 13:05:3127/12/2001
para
On Thu, 27 Dec 2001 13:06:22 GMT, in article
<B85087AA.AB39%mucke...@mediaone.net>, Muckerheide stated...

>No, older that dirt would be if you remembered when Warmuth's opened¡
>
>Great old Boston institution, RIP.

What and where was Warmuth's ?

>On another topic, although this group consistently avoids recipes, does
>anyone know of a cookbook that would feature such delicacies as Warmuth's
>rum buns, G ilcrist's macaroons, Jordan Marsh Blueberry muffins,

A Northern Light or Google search for "Jordan Marsh muffins" finds many
recipes. I don't know which ones are authentic.

Some coffee shop within a block of the old Jordan Marsh downtown store
claims to serve these, but I don't remember its name or address right now.

--
Ron Newman rne...@thecia.net
http://www2.thecia.net/users/rnewman/home.html

Jerry Natowitz

não lida,
27 de dez. de 2001, 19:48:3527/12/2001
para
In article <a0fnt...@drn.newsguy.com>,

They sell them at a coffee stand in South Station. I tried one and found it
very mediocre. I don't know if it was old, a bad batch, or maybe I have
some mental image of the ideal blueberry muffin that I had some decades
ago or maybe it never existed ...

Actually, I do remember good blueberry muffins (and great cranberry muffins)
in the Yum-Yum bakery inside a Demoula's in the Andover area in the mid 80s.

Of course just about everything was great at Jamesburg Quality Bakery in
Jamesburg New Jersey. How this half a whistle-stop town best known for
the New Jersey State Reformatory for Children managed to support one of the
best bakery in the US is a mystery to me. I gained 15 pounds from my almost
daily stops there on my way to work at Dow Jones in South Brunswick in the
early 80s.

--
Jerry Natowitz - jfoonatowitz@rcnfoocom foo -> dot

Ron Newman

não lida,
28 de dez. de 2001, 05:35:5928/12/2001
para
In article <a0gfh3$7nq$1...@bob.news.rcn.net>, jfoonatowitz@rcnfoocom foo ->
dot wrote:

> >Some coffee shop within a block of the old Jordan Marsh downtown store
> >claims to serve these, but I don't remember its name or address right now.
>
> They sell them at a coffee stand in South Station. I tried one and found it
> very mediocre.

No, that's not the place I'm thinking of. It was on one of the
main shopping streets downtown.

Gastronome

não lida,
28 de dez. de 2001, 09:27:0928/12/2001
para
>does
>>>anyone know of a cookbook that would feature such delicacies as Warmuth's
>>>rum buns, G ilcrist's macaroons, Jordan Marsh Blueberry muffins,

I have a J. Bildner & Sons Cookbook (Brookline). It's actually for sale right
now on half.com. Don't know if that would have any recipes in it that anyone
would be looking for.

Art

DPH

não lida,
28 de dez. de 2001, 20:02:2528/12/2001
para
Ron Newman <rne...@thecia.net> writes:

The muffins are still made by The Jordan Marsh Muffin Co.

They have an office or bakery on Turnpike St. in Brockton
(or W. Bridgewater, it's near the line).

--
--dph
(dph AT luckytrout DOT com)

Rob Durso

não lida,
30 de dez. de 2001, 20:47:4630/12/2001
para

> The muffins are still made by The Jordan Marsh Muffin Co.
>
> They have an office or bakery on Turnpike St. in Brockton
> (or W. Bridgewater, it's near the line).
>
> --
> --dph
> (dph AT luckytrout DOT com)

It's in Brockton, across from White's pastry shop.
The place that sells the muffins in Downtown Crossing on Summer St. is
called Boston Coffee Exchange I think; they also have a store in South
Station.

MVANMETER

não lida,
8 de jan. de 2002, 23:45:2108/01/2002
para
I apologize for missing the beginning of this thread, But once I saw "Jordan
Marsh" and "blueberry muffins", I started salivating.

I moved to Calif. over 20 years ago and I have never tasted a better BB muffin
anywhere, anytime, period. Those muffins are my personal "gold standard" for
blueberry muffins. I seem to remember a recipe for them that floated around
years ago. If anybody has it and would like to help out an ex-Bostonian, I
would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Mike VM

Arthur Moore

não lida,
9 de jan. de 2002, 06:23:4209/01/2002
para
> blueberry muffins. I seem to remember a recipe for them that floated
around
> years ago. If anybody has it and would like to help out an ex-Bostonian, I
> would appreciate it.

Title: Jordan Marsh Blueberry Muffins
Categories: Muffins, Breads, Breakfast
Yield: 6 servings MM#: 10623

0.50 c Butter 2.00 ts Baking powder
1.25 c Sugar 0.50 c Milk
2.00 Eggs 2.00 c Blueberries, washed,
drained
2.00 c Flour 3.00 ts Sugar
0.50 ts Salt (optional)

Cream butter and sugar until light. Add eggs one at a time, beating well
after each addition. Sift together the flour, salt and baking powder. Add
this to the creamed mixture alternately with the milk.
Crush 1/2 c blueberries and mix into batter. Fold in remaining berries.
Grease 6 extra large (or 12 large) muffin cups and fill with batter.
Sprinke 3 ts sugar over the muffin tops. Bake at 375 degrees for 30
minutes. Cool 30 minutes before removing. Store uncovered, or they will be
too moist the next day. Note: This recipe also works well for cranberry
muffins.

chocom...@gmail.com

não lida,
27 de ago. de 2015, 22:00:3327/08/2015
para
On Wednesday, December 26, 2001 at 9:25:28 PM UTC-8, Vicki B wrote:
I worked for Warburtons in Downtown Boston on Washington St across from Woolworth in 1984 and it was my first real job... Loved it! It established my love of real good breads, muffins and pastries. I later went on to work for Au Bon Pain at Logan Airport and also J. Bildner and Sons in the Financial District. I remember they had a burst of opening new stores (as did J. Bildner's) then they started to disappear.

I wish they had come to the West Coast where I now reside (sigh) pffft Older than Dirt INDEED! MY ARSE I am only 47 ;)

chocom...@gmail.com

não lida,
27 de ago. de 2015, 22:03:4127/08/2015
para
Vicki it taught me my skills as a fast cashier and I too recall looking up to see a LINE of people in the mornings and just grabbing that little bag and catching every muffin order they asked for... twirling around to grab the bread whip in the slicer then return to the register. Those were the good ole days and I used to eat the HELL out of them dayum cornish pasties!

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/353532639477764754/

chocom...@gmail.com

não lida,
27 de ago. de 2015, 22:05:1427/08/2015
para
OMG!! I'm so late to this thread but I too have a J. Bilder's and Sons Cookbook though I would never part with it ={

chocom...@gmail.com

não lida,
27 de ago. de 2015, 22:07:2127/08/2015
para
Dear Mike... we are NEVER EVAH ex-Bostonians =} I too started drifting back to a time of delicious pastries from our hometown. Got nothing but Wicked Luv for ya!

scmontg...@gmail.com

não lida,
27 de mai. de 2018, 17:08:5927/05/2018
para
I managed Warburtons bakery in Boston from 1979-1985
We had 5 in town
Would love to hear from folks

Scot montgomery

ldre...@eusd.org

não lida,
6 de ago. de 2019, 23:52:1106/08/2019
para
I STILL miss Warburton’s cranberry walnut muffins and their zucchini muffins. YUM. Anybody out there have any recipes??

claudiajn...@gmail.com

não lida,
8 de fev. de 2020, 08:46:4608/02/2020
para
I used to love those Welsh pasties! I think it was called a Corniche? I’d stop there in the early 80s when I worked at the old Bank of New England ( now the Boston Stock Exchange). The bottom of the paper bag would be full of grease but those were hands down the most delicious things I ever had. I think it was filo pastry filled with meat, potatoes, onions(?), etc. Much better than the English meat pies.

bevcamp...@gmail.com

não lida,
28 de mai. de 2020, 10:20:4428/05/2020
para
Hi Scot,

I have been thinking about Warburton's for months now. What were the pasties called that contained a sort of pot pie recipe? I used to get the chicken ones. They were a great on-the-go snack. And their muffins were the best! I live in Pittsburgh now and even the Au Bon Pains are closing!

Scot Montgomery

não lida,
1 de abr. de 2023, 10:21:2901/04/2023
para