Did anybody really *like* Howard Johnsons?

1 view

Dicks Jockey

Jul 2, 2018, 4:53:33 PM7/2/18

---
https://www.avg.com

John Levine

Jul 4, 2018, 1:56:37 AM7/4/18
Peppermint stick ice cream and the chicken croquettes, sure.

Clam strips (invented by HJ), maybe.

--
Regards,
John Levine, jo...@iecc.com, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",

John W Gintell

Jul 4, 2018, 3:00:03 PM7/4/18
On 7/4/18 1:56 AM, John Levine wrote

I recall that 28 flavors was a really big deal. Many other places sold only
chocolate, vanilla, or strawberry.

Dicks Jockey

Jul 6, 2018, 1:11:38 AM7/6/18
>>Clam strips (invented by HJ), maybe.

Weren't those the "tendersweet" clams? ;-)

I think they invented clam "strips" because it was a way of freezing them
and shipping them all over to their restaurants without worries about
shellfish bacteria, etc....esp without the bellies.

"John Levine" <jo...@taugh.com> wrote in message

John Levine

Jul 6, 2018, 4:49:37 PM7/6/18
>>>Clam strips (invented by HJ), maybe.
>
>Weren't those the "tendersweet" clams? ;-)

Yes.

>I think they invented clam "strips" because it was a way of freezing them
>and shipping them all over to their restaurants without worries about
>shellfish bacteria, etc....esp without the bellies.

They are cut from large sea clams which before that were close to
unsalable. Different animal from the softshells one uses to make real
fried clams. You are correct that they are shipped frozen, which you can't
do with softshells.