Authentic Chinese food + good decor for wedding banquet??

Katherine Kwong

Nov 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/20/00
My fiance and I are looking for a wedding reception site that has both
good, authentic Chinese food and nice decor (preferably in a decent
neighborhood). Are we asking too much?

The perfect scenario would be to have Chinatown-quality food in a nice
hotel ballroom. Does anyone know of a good caterer for authentic
Chinese food in greater Boston?

Thanks!

Dan Logcher

Nov 22, 2000, 1:42:34 AM11/22/00
Katherine Kwong wrote:

> My fiance and I are looking for a wedding reception site that has both
> good, authentic Chinese food and nice decor (preferably in a decent
> neighborhood). Are we asking too much?

Why not try Chau Chows in Chinatown?

> The perfect scenario would be to have Chinatown-quality food in a nice
> hotel ballroom. Does anyone know of a good caterer for authentic
> Chinese food in greater Boston?

Has to be suburbs eh. Check out The Great Wall in Bedford, MA. They offer
a full reception banquet. I priced it out when I was looking for a place to have my
reception. The decor is nice, the food is great (though not the same as Chinatown),
and the price was reasonable. Go and ask for samples of the dishes served.

--
Dan

Kyle Tucker

Nov 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/22/00
In article <3A19E80C...@hotmail.com>,

Katherine Kwong <katk...@hotmail.com> writes:
> My fiance and I are looking for a wedding reception site that has both
> good, authentic Chinese food and nice decor (preferably in a decent
> neighborhood). Are we asking too much?
>
> The perfect scenario would be to have Chinatown-quality food in a nice
> hotel ballroom. Does anyone know of a good caterer for authentic
> Chinese food in greater Boston?

I would suggest you look at Su Chang's in Peabody. It's a beautiful
building inside, is in its own location (not a strip mall) so parking
would be good and the food is light and delicious. This is in stark
contrast to Bedford's Great Wall on all counts. :)

Su Changs Restaurant
373 Lowell Street, Peabody, MA 01960
(978) 531-3366

--
- Kyle

Dan Logcher

Nov 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/22/00
Kyle Tucker wrote:

> In article <3A19E80C...@hotmail.com>,
> Katherine Kwong <katk...@hotmail.com> writes:
> > My fiance and I are looking for a wedding reception site that has both
> > good, authentic Chinese food and nice decor (preferably in a decent
> > neighborhood). Are we asking too much?
> >
> > The perfect scenario would be to have Chinatown-quality food in a nice
> > hotel ballroom. Does anyone know of a good caterer for authentic
> > Chinese food in greater Boston?
>
> I would suggest you look at Su Chang's in Peabody. It's a beautiful
> building inside, is in its own location (not a strip mall) so parking
> would be good and the food is light and delicious. This is in stark
> contrast to Bedford's Great Wall on all counts. :)

The decor at The Great Wall is nice, just somewhat dark. I'm sure they
could up the lights if needed for pictures and whatnot.

Does Su Chang's offer a Chinese banquet. Katherine was looking for
a Chinese wedding reception. These are usually 10 courses, with some
choices for variation. Its priced by tables of 10, so invite whole numbers
of 10 :) If people don't show, make sure you consolidate takes or you'll
be paying half filled tables.

--
Dan

Katherine Kwong

Nov 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/22/00
Thanks, everyone, for all the info and suggestions! (Which makes us not
*as* desparate as before...) We'll now have some busy days sampling food!

So, does anyone happen to know if Su Chang offer a Chinese full-course
banquet? I'll call them up too.

Eternally grateful :)
Katherine

Kyle Tucker

Nov 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/22/00
In article <8vgvpa$1g7$1...@news.mathworks.com>,

"Katherine Kwong" <kkw...@mathworks.com> writes:

> So, does anyone happen to know if Su Chang offer a Chinese full-course
> banquet? I'll call them up too.

Sorry I don't know - your post didn't indicate you wanted a "Chinese
banquet" - it read as a wedding banquet at which Chinese food could be
served. You'll have to give them a call.

>>Does Su Chang's offer a Chinese banquet. Katherine was looking for
>>a Chinese wedding reception.

--
- Kyle

Dan Logcher

Nov 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/22/00
Kyle Tucker wrote:

> In article <8vgvpa$1g7$1...@news.mathworks.com>,
> "Katherine Kwong" <kkw...@mathworks.com> writes:
> >
> > So, does anyone happen to know if Su Chang offer a Chinese full-course
> > banquet? I'll call them up too.
>
> Sorry I don't know - your post didn't indicate you wanted a "Chinese
> banquet" - it read as a wedding banquet at which Chinese food could be
> served. You'll have to give them a call.

Yeah, she said Chinese wedding reception. Unless you've been to one or
have had to organize one.. you wouldn't know its a huge banquet. It's quite
involved. I love going to these when someone else arranges it.

--
Dan