A mostly-dirt ramble through Concord and Carlisle

Rod Holland

Jun 26, 2016, 11:12:00 PM6/26/16
to New England, Unpaved
Reformatory Branch, Estabrook Road, Old Morse Road, Acorn Trail, Davis Trail, Two Rod Road, with some pavement to hold it all together. 47 miles, 4452' of climbing. Ride report here.

rod

Brian Postlewaite

Jun 27, 2016, 8:45:01 AM6/27/16
to ne-un...@googlegroups.com
Nice route.
I ride Estabrook from time to time; fun route.
I rode Two Rod Road a number of years ago, but it was more hiking trail than rideable dirt road. I take it that's still true.
I've wanted to find Old Morse Road. How hard was it to follow? Did it feel like a lot of private property?

~Brian

Rod Holland

Jun 27, 2016, 9:04:24 AM6/27/16
to New England, Unpaved
Two Rod Road is rideable in most sections, but in a few spots it seems prudent to get off the bike and walk. Old Morse Road is nicely mapped on OSM. I never got the feeling I shouldn't be there, it felt very much like an established right-of-way, although one abutting property had a fenced yard with a demonstrative doberman in it, who gave me to understand I should definitely keep moving. There's also a descent where the road has become a watercourse (dry, when I rode it), with a fair bit of sand and gravel in the center of the path; that doesn't last long. There's no question, Estabrook Road is the best of the bunch.

rod

Rod Holland

Jun 27, 2016, 9:57:01 AM6/27/16
to New England, Unpaved
btw, if Estabrook Road is the best, there's no question that Davis Trail is the worst. I'll definitely be avoiding that in future (on a bicycle, anyway), and take Stearns St to Two Rod Road, instead. That was an experiment for me, and I learned what I needed to.

rod