Riding the Bay Circuit Trail?

Aaron Pikcilingis

Dec 27, 2020, 1:11:00 PM12/27/20
to New England, Unpaved
Hello! Looking ahead to 2021 I'd like to have a bigger goal to work on and am considering the Bay Circuit Trail. Has anyone here ridden long sections, or the whole thing (excepting the areas where bikes aren't allowed, of course)?

I will probably aim to do ~40 miles at a go, perhaps with a couple longer days if I manage to get into good enough shape.

Any input, ideas, etc. are most welcome!

Aaron
Belmont, MA

Geoff Cisler

Dec 28, 2020, 10:21:25 AM12/28/20
to ne-un...@googlegroups.com
Hey Aaron,

one of the List members Jamie Lent did a talk on this not too long ago.  And luckily MassBike seems to have recorded it.  well worth watching!

I also think it'd be pretty fun to do, but would want to wait post-vaccine so that I could take advantage of the little shops and restaurants along the way.

Geoff

Aaron Pikcilingis

Dec 29, 2020, 12:21:54 PM12/29/20
to New England, Unpaved
Hello -

This was helpful and inspiring. I don't think the folks I'm recruiting for this are likely to want to do bikepacking, but it's very helpful to know that there's more technical, mountain bike-y sections of this trail. We're planning to use CX/gravel type bikes with reasonably fat tires (35mm for me), and I wonder whether that will be enough if we're not also lugging camping gear. I should say that we are game, often riding these same bikes through places like the Western Greenway, which has some rocky sections. I'm not too proud to walk and walk often.

I found this nicely-annoted rideWithGPS route that goes around bike and other restrictions: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/34307282
Links to other resources appreciated!

Thanks,
Aaron