Permanently closed segment of River Road, in Merrimac, Massachusetts; passable by bicycle?

Rod Holland

Jul 14, 2018, 12:26:19 PM7/14/18
to New England, Unpaved
On a recent bicycle tour, I encountered a barrier blocking access to a section of River Road, in Merrimac, Massachusetts. There's a detour around this (Skunk Road to Middle Road, back to a passable section of River Road). A little googling suggests the back story is the permanent closure of this low-lying segment due to repeated inundations and erosion; the town fathers wrote it off as a bad bet. The same story suggests there was some informal recreational use, including by cyclists, during the period before the "AND WE MEAN IT!" barricade went up.

So, would anyone care to comment on the current suitability of the abandoned section of River Road as rough cycling route? I'm intrigued.

rod