Nov 6th (Sunday): NER 108km and Members Meeting

Jake Kassen

Oct 26, 2022, 7:07:49 PM10/26/22
to NERds
Hey NERds. On Nov 6th we'll have two events, a 108km mixed terrain Populaire at 8am and our yearly NER Members Meeting at 3pm. Lots of fun, please join us!

Details: https://ner.bike/nersite/?p=4688

Ride @ 8am:

The ride is a route I announced here as a perm a few weeks ago. It's a loop from Medford to Concord, Marlboro, and Hudson. The route is notable for a few reasons:

- Almost 50% bike paths (Minuteman, Reformatory, Assabet)
- Fairly Flat: Only ~2000' of elevation gain.
- About 15km of dirt paths. Nothing technical although could be somewhat muddy.
- LOTS of places to get locally roasted coffee, microbrew beer, ice cream, and other snacks.
- Pretty standard western (Boston) suburbs riding.
- Snacks when you get back to Medford

I think it's a good, low pressure way to end NER's riding year. Given the number of paths, this is definitely not one you want to try and set a personal best time. Please be considerate to other people on the paths and pass slowly with warning.

Current RUSA membership is required but if you join/renew now your membership will last though the end of 2023.

Member's Meeting @ 3pm:

This is more of a short social gathering but members will have a formal opportunity to bring up any organizational matters if they'd like. You must be a NER member to participate in the discussion but others are welcome to attend. We'll include a zoom session so you don't need to attend in person to participate.

Jake

John D'Elia

Oct 27, 2022, 11:58:23 AM10/27/22
to li...@jkassen.org, NERds
Hello Jake-some people like me may wonder what size tires are ok for this ride. I assume the bike paths are all paved, but the other parts, "dirt paths", not sure about those. I have a road bike with 32mm tires, do you think that is going to work? Any info appreciated as always and thanks. John D'Elia Rusa 1146

Jake Kassen

Oct 27, 2022, 10:39:53 PM10/27/22
to NERds
I prerode this route today and wrote up a ride report with photos:

https://ner.bike/nersite/?p=4703

To answer John's question about tire sizes: 32mm would be fine. I've ridden all these on 23mm (back when that's all I rode) and didn't have a problem although I'd prefer 32mm or wider given the choice. If you hate dirt, you won't like this route. If you can tolerate short sections of it, you'll be fine. Nothing is technical and it's all flat.

There could be slick leaves and muddy sections depending on the weather in the preceding days.

Jake
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ne-randonneurs/BYAPR03MB3944F50B944C711E3EFEC327BC339%40BYAPR03MB3944.namprd03.prod.outlook.com.

Emily O'Brien

Oct 27, 2022, 10:48:45 PM10/27/22
to Jake Kassen, NERds
Jale and I rode this route together a few weeks ago, and I used my fixie with 25mm tires. It was fine and that’s what I’ll use on the scheduled event. Your mileage may vary, or course.
It’s a fun and enjoyable route, with the major hazard being getting waylaid by the multiple tempting stops for snacks and drinks along the route.