Gravel RUSA Rouleur

Phillip Stern

Oct 21, 2021, 4:31:39 PM10/21/21
to New England Randonneurs
I could go for this if it was all gravel events.

Tsun Au Yeung

Oct 21, 2021, 4:33:51 PM10/21/21
to Phillip Stern, New England Randonneurs
Ah Phil, I think you are reading "8hr DART" as "8hr DIRT".

Tsun

On Thu, Oct 21, 2021 at 4:31 PM Phillip Stern <philli...@gmail.com> wrote:
I could go for this if it was all gravel events.

Andy G

Oct 21, 2021, 7:31:14 PM10/21/21
to New England Randonneurs
8 hours of dirt to become a NER Gravouleur? I'm in!

Jake Kassen

Oct 22, 2021, 7:49:04 AM10/22/21
to philli...@gmail.com, New England Randonneurs
There's been a consent push to get RUSA to do more to sanction non-paved routes. It's always been possible but up until recently the inability to use electronic proof of passage made it particularity problematic.

A recent RUSA survey showed something like 80% of riders nationally want more non-paved events so I think the effects to get some dirt specific rules are coming. The big sticking point has been if RUSA should allow extra time for these routes.

But with that said, if you wanted to organize dirt rides that would meet the requirements for that award under the current RUSA regulations, I'm pretty sure NER would add it to the calendar. :)

Jake

Jake Kassen

Oct 22, 2021, 7:52:26 AM10/22/21
to philli...@gmail.com, NERds
Also, NER is offering a Dart Popular (8h Dart) next Sept 24th. Start finish location is likely Brattleboro. Perfect time and place for a Dirt team event!

Jake

Phillip Stern

Oct 22, 2021, 8:11:22 AM10/22/21
to Jake Kassen, NERds
I could definitely come up with four dirt routes (especially if I recruited Pamela’s help). I already have a NH 200k with lots of dirt that was a sanctioned perm under the old rules. The dirt Dart could just be the normal Dart Pop.

But I would want to ride, not be responsible for aid stations. Do Dan’s VT fall randonees have aid stations? I can’t remember any except for the post-ride parties.

Jake Kassen

Oct 22, 2021, 11:58:25 AM10/22/21
to Phillip Stern, NERds
Ha. Can't have rides without ride leaders and volunteers! It's easy to create routes but a lot of work to actually run events,
particularly if they are going to have services people depend on. Even if that's just the finish control, these need to stay
open for everyone irrespective of their pace.

I highly encourage everyone to help out and volunteer for a few rides every year, even if it's just to staff a control. If anyone
helps a little, we can have a ton of highly enjoyable rides.

If just a few people do the lion's share of volunteering and support, those people get burned out. (Ask me how I know...)

The Fall Classic events have been routed such that intermediate controls were at stores where riders could buy what they
needed but Daniel and others hosted a great finish control. The volunteers pre-rode the event, as is common. Even if on-
route support isn't offered, someone still needs to be on-call during the event. Unless there's additional volunteers, the ride
leader generally can't ride day-of.

Phillip Stern

Oct 22, 2021, 12:26:15 PM10/22/21
to Jake Kassen, NERds
Well said, Jake.
I actually meant to post this just to the BOD. 😬

You’ve pricked my conscience and I’ll volunteer at a gravel event next year. I hope we can get others to step up also and make a dirt series a reality for 2022.