RideWithGPS

Carl Potts

Feb 19, 2023, 7:24:51 PM2/19/23
to New England Randonneurs
Hi all, For those using RideWithGPS do you recommend getting the paid version for navigation? I'm new to the group and its been 30 years since my last Brevet. Currently I've been using Cyclemeter on my iPhone but thats not very good for navigation. Trying to hold out on buying a Garmin until the 830 get an upgrade.

Thanks,

Carl

Jake Kassen

Feb 19, 2023, 9:27:05 PM2/19/23
to cpotts...@gmail.com, New England Randonneurs
NER has a RWGPS Club account which allows members to navigate with routes in the club library without having a paid version of the account themselves. I admit NER is not particularity active with our club account and occasionally we link to the ride leader's route on their personal account if that's the one they've been updating. If you let the RBA (Sarah) or one of the board members (myself, Tsun, etc) know we can make sure to move the route over and send you the club join link. Just make sure to make the request a day or two before the ride.

FWIW, I've been a paid RWGPS account holder for years since well before they had an app. It's probably the one subscription I find most useful although it's mostly for the route creation features.

As for navigating the routes, I use a Garmin eTrex and follow the "breadcrumb" (track) instead of turn by turn directions. It's very reliable and two AA batteries last 24 hours+.

Jake

Carl Potts

Feb 20, 2023, 6:32:31 PM2/20/23
to New England Randonneurs
Thank you Jake. I intend to buy a Garmin at some point this year but will use RWGPS in the interim.

Emily O'Brien

Feb 21, 2023, 8:48:53 AM2/21/23
to cpotts...@gmail.com, New England Randonneurs
For what it’s worth, I was a long-time cuesheet hold-out, mostly due to habit and inertia. But at some point I started using the RWGPS app on my phone for navigation and I’ve generally been satisfied. It’s not perfect, but by all accounts neither are the stand-alone GPS devices. And I’m already carrying my phone anyway. I’ve generally found that if I put my phone in battery mode and don’t do too much that involves turning on the screen, the battery can easily last through at least a 200k. If I’m concerned about that, I carry an additional battery pack.

As far as the paid account goes - if routes in the club library are the only ones you need to download, you don’t need it. But it’s handy for other things and it isn’t expensive. I’m just as happy to not bother with an additional device.

Emily

Charles Coldwell

Feb 21, 2023, 1:29:01 PM2/21/23
to New England Randonneurs
I normally use a Wahoo, but I’ve had to fall back on the RWGPS app many times. It’s certainly no worse than the Wahoo for navigation.

--
Charles M. Coldwell, W1CMC
Belmont, Massachusetts, New England

Massimiliano Poletto

Feb 21, 2023, 1:58:30 PM2/21/23
to cold...@gmail.com, New England Randonneurs
I've never used a phone app for navigation (GPS computer only, or cue sheets/maps before that), but I want to give a shoutout to Komoot (komoot.com) for the routing and planning features in their mobile app. I used it for a 6-week cross-Europe tour last summer, and planned every day's route on my phone in the tent the night before, and sometimes (to address unexpected changes in plan) on the road itself. Really extremely usable and fast, and with outstanding ground truth data (at least in Europe) based on OpenStreetMap. Rapid sync to Wahoo once the route is designed or updated.

Cheers,
max

Carl Potts

Feb 21, 2023, 7:58:14 PM2/21/23
to New England Randonneurs
Thanks all. Will get the paid version then. Looking forward to meeting some of you on the road. Signed up for the 3/11 ride, hope the weather cooperates.