Bike Paint Recommendations?

John D'Elia

Feb 6, 2023, 11:16:31 AM2/6/23
to New England Randonneurs
Hi, I think I might have asked this once before and got some great answers about some New England painters, I am getting a new titanium bike with carbon fork and the maker is charging too much for the paint, about 1800 dollars which seems high to me and the frameset already costs a pretty penny so I am looking for a good quality but more fairly priced painter.   Any info appreciated.  John

Jake Kassen

Feb 6, 2023, 11:30:06 AM2/6/23
to colna...@gmail.com, New England Randonneurs
When they were in Worcester I worked with Toby at HotTubes and the experience was terrific. He's a really good painter and creative. They use good paint and know the craft. They've since moved to Shirley, MA.

I'd give them a call.

Jake
> more fairly priced painter. Any info appreciated. John --
> Groups "New England Randonneurs" group.
> send an email to ne-randonneur...@googlegroups.com.
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ne-randonneurs/86852e69-1488-406d-91e5-3a6dfbbbc56en%40googlegroups.com.

Pamela Blalock

Feb 6, 2023, 11:50:15 AM2/6/23
to li...@jkassen.org, colna...@gmail.com, New England Randonneurs
One of the benefits of titanium is not needing paint. Great for travel or other things that might scuff or damage paint. You can easily keep the frame looking brand new with a scotch bright pad. And easily change colors simply by changing bar tape. Plus it saves weight ;-)

--
Pamela Blalock
Conway, MA

http://blayleys.blogspot.com

Jake Bridge

Feb 6, 2023, 12:10:40 PM2/6/23
to pamela...@gmail.com, li...@jkassen.org, colna...@gmail.com, New England Randonneurs
Jordan Low at jlcustompaint.com (now in Lowell), used to work for HotTubes and Seven before that. He definitely knows what he's doing and has painted plenty of titanium.

FYI, $1800 is a lot, but, depending on the complexity of the paint job, may not be unfair. It's labor intensive work.

Charles Coldwell

Feb 6, 2023, 12:13:08 PM2/6/23
to li...@jkassen.org, New England Randonneurs, colna...@gmail.com
+1 HotTubes. They did two resprays for me.

On Mon, Feb 6, 2023 at 11:30 AM Jake Kassen <li...@jkassen.org> wrote:
--
Charles M. Coldwell, W1CMC
Belmont, Massachusetts, New England

John McClellan

Feb 6, 2023, 1:31:15 PM2/6/23
to li...@jkassen.org, Charles Coldwell, New England Randonneurs, colna...@gmail.com
+3 HotTubes - they've done 3 resprays for me

Andy Towlen

Feb 6, 2023, 1:52:56 PM2/6/23
to li...@jkassen.org, colna...@gmail.com, New England Randonneurs
I had my bike painted this summer - a steel frame, carbon fork, old LeMond. It is beautiful. $1500. Included original badging, etc. Worth it, but I’m cautious to ride!
My titanium bikes are either not painted ( Seven), or minimally painted (Serotta).
Good luck.
Andy

Sent with good will, mistakes & all, from my iPad.