Slight OT: Best Coffee beans in CT River Valley(ish)

Jake Kassen

Sep 1, 2023, 8:27:15 AM9/1/23
to NERds
In an effort to combine cycling and errands, I'm looking for suggestions on which shops in the CT river valley, roughly from the CT/MA border through southern VT, roast the best beans which are available for sale in the shop. Medium or light roast required. Needs to be freshly roasted. We prefer central American varieties generally.

I'd also take suggestions anywhere in "Central MA", between Boston and Portland, etc.

I've been finding it easier to get good beer and harder to get good coffee beans as of late.

Jake

Justin G. Castillo

Sep 1, 2023, 10:55:50 AM9/1/23
to li...@jkassen.org, NERds
Jake:

Try Flight, which has a loyal following in NE and beyond. We know the owner's sister and have followed Flight's upward trajectory over the years:

Regards,

Justin

Jeff

Sep 1, 2023, 12:40:54 PM9/1/23
to NERds
Deans Beans in Orange is where I've been getting my beans. A bunch of us will combine orders to reach the free shipping threshold if you'd like some for home. I like the darker roasts so I can't comment on their lighter fare. The Ethiopian Oromia is a favorite.

J Hickey

Sep 2, 2023, 10:38:44 AM9/2/23
to li...@jkassen.org, NERds
Shelburne Falls Coffee Roasters are my favorite in the valley. Several locations too.

Sarah B.

Sep 11, 2023, 8:24:58 PM9/11/23
to New England Randonneurs
Although Pemberton Farms in Cambridge also has Dean's Beans on the shelf; though I don't know how the prices compare. Doesn't give you much of a ride to get there, though.

Jake Kassen

Sep 12, 2023, 6:46:37 AM9/12/23
to New England Randonneurs
Thanks everyone. We currently get coffee from Mystic Coffee Roasters which is run by a woman about a block up the street and picked up at a store a block down the street. Pretty good coffee but it's hardly a walk, let alone a ride. :)

I have a new coworker from Ohio who talks about this coffee trail they have near Cleveland where it's a route between coffee roasters. It's suddenly made me more interested in riding in Ohio.

Jake