Rim Dynamos Can Now Generate 70% MORE Power Than Hub Dynamos

Phillip Stern

May 10, 2021, 7:06:05 AM5/10/21
to New England Randonneurs
What do you know about rim dynamos?
I’m intrigued by the claims of more efficient, lighter, less expensive than hub dynamos.

Andy G

May 11, 2021, 9:23:20 AM5/11/21
to philli...@gmail.com, New England Randonneurs
More efficient means it makes better use of the power generated, but it sounds like best rim dynamo tested was 68% efficient instead of a max of 60% with a hub, which sounds pretty trivial IMHO. The benefit is that it has the ability to spin faster for more power, but at the detriment of more drag. If you don't mind a cut in speed to draw more power for big headlights or charging batteries (e.g. touring), that sounds great, but it's not something I'd be interested in with randonneuring. That article has a pretty big list of disadvantages too - high drag, slippage for speed/conditions, aesthetics, maintenance, and few lights compatible, so Ill pass.

It would be interesting if there were more hub dynamos that didn't have to fit the German standards. I can envision having a system that puts out just the right amount of light for back road randonneuring at night, but could kick in for 2-3x power for urban commutes where I want a lot more than just a small slice of road ahead of me lit up, and wouldn't mind the extra drag for part of a commute.

James Lent

May 11, 2021, 3:15:29 PM5/11/21
to abg...@gmail.com, philli...@gmail.com, New England Randonneurs
I'm not at all surprised that this monstrosity can put out more power than a hub dynamo - but I'm not gonna put that on my bike.
image.png

As Andy mentions, I think hub dynamos might be a bit handicapped by the german standards. I think if someone were to do a clean sheet redesign along with a new headlight, they might come up with something way better. But until then, I've been plenty happy with the light output of modern B&M lights for road riding and Exposure lights for offroad.