Luncheon Details and 2023 Reading Schedule

Max Magee

Jan 3, 2023, 1:29:09 PM1/3/23
to Notorious Canary-Trainers
Helloa!

Attenta! Attenta! and all that—Happy New Year and Complements of the Season!
image.png
As Johanna and I make our preparations for BSI weekend (which, let's be honest is basically a full week or two crammed into about 4 days), I wanted to send out a note finalizing our plans for the Notorious Canary-Trainers Sherlock Holmes Birthday Luncheon.

RSVPs are welcome, but not necessary, and as always, the more the merrier (spouses, friends, family, etc.).

As is typical, we normally request that anyone who would like to lead a toast (or write one) to the usual line up of heroes (Holmes, Watson, Mycroft, Mrs. Hudson, Buttons) villains (Moran, Moriarty—gasp!—or worse yet, the Conan Doyle Estate?), or anything that comes to mind. Original works (~1-2 pages), short poems, and of course, volunteers to recite the classics: "221b," "A Toast at the Criterion Bar," and/or "A Remembrance of Breakfast with Holmes" are all welcome. Please submit those to John Hudson as soon as possible.

For those who would like to participate virtually, please reply to me (Max) directly, and I'll work out details with you.

Date and Time:
January 15th, 2023, noon

Venue:
Erin's Snug Irish Pub & Restaurant
(608) 242-7616 - 4601 American Parkway,
Madison, WI 53718
image.png

When you arrive, ask for Sherlock Holmes. As you'll recall, wherever we congregate, the venue becomes “The Criterion Bar."

Jim and Vicki once again generously offered to provide a cake, but do remember to bring your deerstalkers, Inverness capes, top hats, and cravats. and any treasures you've acquired that you'd like to show off or share.

If you'd like to adopt a canonical name, this is a great time of year to request one, so we can formally announce it at the luncheon. (for details and to check availability, reach out to either John Hudson or myself).

NCT Schedule 2023
http://canarytrainers.com has the latest/current schedule (note: we decided to postpone our discussion of COPP until February):
Discussion TopicJFC codesDate
Birthday CelebrationHBDSHJanuary 15, 2023
12 The Adventure of the Copper BeechesCOPPFebruary 19, 2023
13 The Adventure of Silver BlazeSILVMarch 19, 2023
14 The Adventure of the Cardboard BoxCARDApril 16, 2023
15 The Adventure of the Yellow FaceYELLMay 21, 2023
16 The Adventure of the Stock-Broker's ClerkSTOCJune 18, 2023
17 The Adventure of the "Gloria Scott"GLORJuly 16, 2023
18 The Adventure of the Musgrave RitualMUSGAugust 20, 2023
19 The Adventure of the Reigate SquiresREIGSeptember 17, 2023
20 The Adventure of the Crooked ManCROOOctober 15, 2023
21 The Adventure of the Resident PatientRESINovember 19, 2023
22 The Adventure of the Greek InterpreterGREEDecember 17, 2023

For those who like a physical print-out, I've attached a formatted PDF copy to this email with dates and story names in 2023. That's also available digitally, here:

Max "Magic Jezail Bullet" Magee

"I was removed from my brigade and attached to the Berkshires, with whom I served at the fatal battle of Maiwand. There I was struck on the shoulder by a Jezail bullet, which shattered the bone and grazed the subclavian artery."
Jez_red_sm.png
2023 Reading Schedule - Google Docs.pdf