A BIG, BIG MISTAKE

Glen Link

Mar 17, 2023, 11:12:22 AM3/17/23
to Notorious Canary Trainers
For some reason unknown even to me, I accidentally said the Stoughton Library. It should be the Fitchburg Public Library.

Once again, our Sunday meeting is at the Fitchburg Public Library.

I'm sorry for the confusion.

Hansom Cab

john

Mar 28, 2023, 3:45:51 PM3/28/23
to Notorious Canary Trainers
Sorry it took me so long, but the end of 2022/beginning of 2023 has been a bit of a mess for me. But here it all is.

Below I will give you basic information regarding the background of the list, including tips on how to choose a name. Attached you should find (if I remember to attach it) a copy of the lists themselves. I listed them in a couple of ways to make give one some choices regarding how to search the list.

If anyone who does not already have a Canonical Name would like to be adopt one, please let me know so I can update our honored listThis is a great time to become an official NCTer -- and we promise the hazing will be kept to a minimum.

Aside from submitting your name, let me also know if any corrections may need to be made to the list. Also, this is a good time to change your name if you think your previous one doesn't quite fit anymore. Hopefully, at next year's (2024) meeting at [our local] Criterion Bar, we will be able to return to displaying our pre-Covid place-cards.

I must hail a cab now, so I gotta go. See you all at Baker Street.

John Hudson

aka Calabash (from the mantelpiece, with all the plugs and dottles)

Canonical Name Assignment Procedures

The following procedures were adopted by consensus by members of the Notorious Canary Trainers and were announced March 3, 2006 (with minor edits as required):

1.  The selection of a name is and shall be completely voluntary.  Only those interested in participating are expected to do so.

2.  The name chosen under this process shall be kept by the individual as long as the individual provides current contact information to the Canary-Trainers and until the individual either relinquishes such name by choice or death.  Names which have been relinquished may be claimed by another, except that in case of death, the name shall not be reassigned for at least one year.

3.  A current written record shall be maintained at all times by the Canary-Trainers of such names.

4.  Names chosen shall be that of either an individual, place, or object recorded in the Canon, except that no one shall be assigned the names of Sherlock Holmes or John Watson.

5.  The following process shall be used to select and assign names:

a.  Each participant shall select as many names as he or she would like, list them in order of preference, and submit that list.

b.  Names shall be assigned as soon as possible, following the order of preference of each participant. If another has requested the same name and given it the same order of preference, in such cases a drawing shall be held and the winner of the drawing shall be assigned the name.

c.  Each participant, once he or she has been assigned a name through this process, shall be encouraged to research the character or place, make logical inferences where information can not be found, and share such findings and conclusions with the Canary-Trainers at the time they’re ready to report.

d.  Names shall be authorized for use immediately upon assignment.

e.  After the initial assignment of names, others in or who join our group may choose names not already assigned at any time, by mail or at any gathering of the Canary-Trainers.  It shall take effect if there are no objections from other name-holders following an announcement to the others.

f.  This process may be modified or cancelled by group consensus anytime.

Canonical Name Record 2023 Jan.doc

John Hudson

Mar 28, 2023, 4:27:41 PM3/28/23
to Notorious Canary Trainers
Computer issues today, so I am resending it. If you get two copies, feel free to hold them up next to each other to enjoy an enhanced stereo-vision version.  🙂

Mar 28, 2023, 7:16:41 PM3/28/23
to Notorious Canary Trainers
As noted, I have been having computer issues. I noticed that when I tried to resend this the attachment dropped off.
Hopefully you can find it on this one. - John