Monthly Meeting on Sunday, October 16 at 3:00 PM

1 view

Glen Link

Oct 13, 2022, 9:14:57 AM10/13/22
to Notorious Canary Trainers
This month the Notorious Canary Trainers will discuss The Adventure of The Engineer's Thumb. I don't know about others, but this is a story that I recall just by hearing the title. It was initially published in The Strand Magazine in March 1892. It was then published the next month in the United States and then as part of the book The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes in October 1892.

This story has been re-told in many movies, radio broadcasts, and television shows. I really don't have a lot to say about it, but I did find one very interesting mention while preparing for our upcoming meeting.  Some feel this story was inspired by Edgar Allen Poe's story The Pit and The Pendulum. I feel that is a bit of a stretch.

I have to admit my mind is in a bit of a fog. I am taking my granddaughter to Universal Studios and the Harry Potter attractions next week. In an attempt to understand what I will be seeing, I decided to read all of the Harry Potter books during the past month. I only have one more to read. I would not recommend binge-reading this series of books. I broke down and bought a book that explains all the characters in the series.

Anyway, I hope to see you at the meeting on Sunday. We will be meeting at the Fitchburg Public Library from 3:00 pm until 4:30 pm. As usual, we encourage everyone to bring guests.

Hansom Cab
a.k.a. Glen Link

See the source image

Max Magee

Oct 13, 2022, 2:08:07 PM10/13/22
to Glen Link, Notorious Canary Trainers
There's a good chance I'll miss this meeting, and so will be unable to host a video conference. I'll leave it up to the rest of yinz to determine if there's demand/supply of video conferences in my absence.

In related news, I know Christian from this group and I will be attending the Iowa Icon. I don't think it's too late if you want to join us! :-)

Max

joh...@comicsworthreading.com

Oct 13, 2022, 7:06:26 PM10/13/22
to Max Magee, Glen Link, Notorious Canary Trainers
If there are people who want to attend virtually, please let me know, and we’ll set something up.

Johanna Draper Carlson
joh...@comicsworthreading.com