Re: about "The game is afoot" ...

Max Magee

Jul 17, 2024, 11:05:47 AM (10 days ago) Jul 17
to houn...@mlist.is.ed.ac.uk, Notorious Canary-Trainers
I am not in the Washington, D.C. area, but I recently learned (from Randall Stock's Best of Sherlock.com site) that there's a virtual tour (of which, that link Peter sent above is a portion).

The displays include a flight plan for the Apollo 11 moon landing carried to the moon and back by Buzz Aldrin, a copy of the Egyptian Book of the Dead, and The Valley of Fear manuscript, of course.

There's something for everyone in this collection, from MLK to JFK, Emily Brontë to Jane Austin, Isaac Newton to Ian Flemming (Dr. No) to the Verne manuscript of Voyage to the Center of the Earth!

...and yeah, I guess they have some Shakespeare too. ;-)

Max

On Sat, Jun 22, 2024 at 6:27 PM PETER E Blau <blau...@comcast.net> wrote:
We are indebted to William Shakespeare for this classic statement . . . first in "Henry IV Part 1" where Northumberland says "Before the game is a-foot, thou still let's slip." . . . and then "Henry V" when Henry says "I see you stand like greyhounds in the slip.  The game's afoot." . . . both obviously meaning game that is hunted.

After being closed for restoration for some years, the Folger Shakespeare Library in Washington, DC, reopened on Friday, with all of its 82 copies of the First Folio on display.

There's also a special exhibition ("Imprints in Time") that runs until Jan. 5, of treasures from Stuart and Mimi Rose's collection, among them the manuscript of "The Valley of Fear":

Peter E. Blau
7103 Endicott Court
Bethesda, MD 20817-4401
(301-229-5669)<www.redcircledc.org>

Rudy Altergott

Jul 17, 2024, 11:41:42 AM (10 days ago) Jul 17
to Max Magee, houn...@mlist.is.ed.ac.uk, Notorious Canary-Trainers
'Of all the detestable places Washington is first. Crowd, heat, bad quarters, bad fair [sic], bad smells, mosquitos, and a plague of flies transcending everything within my experience... Beelzebub surely reigns here, and Willard's Hotel is his temple.' — George Templeton Strong

When are we going?

Rudy
(alias 'Old Patrick')