Canonical Name Consideration

Max Magee

Jan 14, 2023, 11:37:21 AM1/14/23
to Notorious Canary-Trainers
Hey all, first let me say, I think our scion's Canonical names are a fun and silly way of expressing our fandom/enjoyment and connection to the Canon. I don't hold it to be a sacred ritual (the way the BSI Investitures are, keeping the name secret, making a grand, meaningful pronouncement etc.), particularly, since folks get to choose their own.

Anyhow, I just thought I'd check my assumptions on that to see if I understand the scion's rules (that there really aren't any) correctly. Johanna and I have been corresponding with a Sherlockian—Paul Hopman, from Green Bay—who would like to attend some of our meetings virtually and was excited to pick a canonical name. His first choice was Briggs (after a character from the TV show Elementary). You see, Paul and Mr. Briggs are forensic tax auditors, and as Paul worked for the IRS for many years, he thought that was a fitting match.

I saw his message signed by "Briggs" and was a little confused (I double-checked who had sent the message, as I was also corresponding with our scion member Jim Briggs at that time on a separate topic). Already a portent of confusion Yet To Come, I also noted that although Elementary claims pedigree from the Canon, Briggs appears nowhere within the text itself. (Again, as there are no steadfast rules, I didn't think this would be too much of an issue, and would've been ok with it, if it weren't for the name confusion.)

That all considered, I made the counter-suggestion that I know of one other character from the Canon that fits very closely, in some ways, with the autobiographical sketch Paul laid out: Mycroft Holmes.

As Paul worked for the federal government, and rose to high levels over the course of his career through forensic investigation and auditing the books...

"If the art of the detective began and ended in reasoning from an arm-chair, my brother would be the greatest criminal agent that ever lived...
"He has an extraordinary faculty for figures, and audits the books in some of the government departments."
GREE

Paul was reluctant to take on the name of such a weighty and hugely dignified Canonical personage, but I didn't see any issue with it. Again, out of an abundance of caution and in the interest of clarification, would anyone who has concerns or objections to this proposed canonical name please weigh in before this Sunday's festivities with your thoughts?

Max

Max "Magic Jezail Bullet" Magee

"I sat nursing my wounded leg. I had had a Jezail bullet through it some time before, and, though it did not prevent me from walking, it ached wearily at every change of the weather."
Jez_red_sm.png

Diane

Jan 14, 2023, 12:22:56 PM1/14/23
to Max Magee, Notorious Canary-Trainers
Speaking for myself, I have less of a problem with Mycroft than I do with Briggs.  I think a Canonical name should be from the Canon, and Elementary is not Canon.
I  feel that the only names that should really be “off limits” are Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson.

Diane

   Nathan Garrideb

   amiable, though eccentric...a student of many subjects.

On Jan 14, 2023, at 10:37 AM, Max Magee <maxp...@gmail.com> wrote:

<Jez_red_sm.png>

Resa Haile

Jan 14, 2023, 4:58:27 PM1/14/23
to Max Magee, Notorious Canary-Trainers
This brings up a question for me—are you (or is someone) keeping a record of the names? I was established as Violet Hunter a long time ago, but it’s also been a long time since I’ve been to a Canary Trainers meeting, so I don’t know whether that is in the record, per se.

Resa Haile

Max Magee

Jan 14, 2023, 5:07:11 PM1/14/23
to Resa Haile, Notorious Canary-Trainers
Yes, as far as I know, John H. is the official name custodian. Each program has an announcement of the new entries for the year. He shared his database with me a couple of years back and I just verified your name is duly recorded correctly.

Screenshot_20230114-160040.png

Christian Neuhaus

Jan 14, 2023, 5:21:01 PM1/14/23
to Notorious Canary Trainers
Some of the Baker Street Irregular names are phrases (there's a specific phrase and not a character name that I would want), so his NCT canonical name could be "an extraordinary faculty for figures". Briggs could be his canonical nickname.

vicki fredrick

Jan 14, 2023, 5:38:51 PM1/14/23
to Diane, Max Magee, Notorious Canary-Trainers

I agree with Diane.

Vicki

Richard Claus

Jan 14, 2023, 8:44:37 PM1/14/23
to Resa Haile, Max Magee, Notorious Canary-Trainers
It seems to me that our group is too loose, too informal, and (dare I say?) too unimportant for us to cause a split over the matter of canonical names.  We should let people call themselves what they want, provided they don't seriously offend anybody (as "Sherlock Holmes" or "A. Conan Doyle" or something obscene or political might) and feel free to address them by other names if we prefer.  I am The Dog that Did Nothing, which, as far as I know, nobody else is, but if someone prefers to call me "A Son of ,,," etc., I don't really care.  What does disturb me is the intrusion of references into the Game that contradict the information given us by Watson's narrative, which, though not devoid of errors, is at least an attempt at honest reporting.  Part of the value of The Game is the consistency with one another of almost all the contributions to it.
I do not object to parodies, imitations, and so forth, as long as they do not pretend to be true parts of the Holmes world revealed by Watson.  And please, please, let people who want to talk about television keep it absolutely clear that they are NOT talking about the genuine Holmes!  There are plenty of parody names available for that (Haircut  is good).

Jan 14, 2023, 9:47:36 PM1/14/23
to maxp...@gmail.com, nct...@googlegroups.com
I agree that we needn't attach great importance to choices made within our small local scion.

But I also agree strongly with Diane that a Canon name should be exactly that, and that the Elementary TV show (of which I was a great fan, by the way) is clearly not Canon.

The name Briggs does indeed appear in the Canon, I believe, thought not as the name of an individual, but of a ship--the Matilda Briggs (I do not recall which story).

Probably not what the Green Bay gentleman had in mind, but one could split hairs . . .

--Jim

john

Jan 15, 2023, 12:35:54 AM1/15/23
to maxp...@gmail.com, nct...@googlegroups.com, jimbr...@aol.com
I agree with Jim. To support this, below is the club rules on choosing Canonical Names that was in place years before I joined NCT.

For decades, the only alterations ever made to this (other than some minor rewording in 2006) were the contact details in the final paragraph . Sure, the group can create a new set of rules if it so wishes (heck, even Congress is hell-bent on throwing out old rules), but I think sticking to names, place, objects, etc. borrowed from Doyle's original canon is important to the spirit of both the NCT and the BSI. Granting someone the names Hemlock Stones, Data, Mary Russell, or even Basil Rathbone, would be outside of the spirit of the naming tradition.

John Hudson
 aka Calabash (from the mantelpiece, with all the plugs and dottles)

NCT NAMING CRITERIA

Canonical Name Assignment Procedures

The following procedures were adopted by consensus by members of the Notorious Canary-Trainers and were announced March 3, 2006 (with minor edits as required):

1.  The selection of a name is and shall be completely voluntary.  Only those interested in participating are expected to do so.

2.  The name chosen under this process shall be kept by the individual as long as the individual provides current contact information to the Canary-Trainers and until the individual either relinquishes such name by choice or death.  Names which have been relinquished may be claimed by another, except that in case of death, the name shall not be reassigned for at least one year.

3.  A current written record shall be maintained at all times by the Canary-Trainers of such names.

4.  Names chosen shall be that of either an individual, place, or object recorded in the Canon, except that no one shall be assigned the names of Sherlock Holmes or John Watson.

5.  The following process shall be used to select and assign names:

a.  Each participant shall select as many names as he or she would like, list them in order of preference, and submit that list.

b.  Names shall be assigned as soon as possible, following the order of preference of each participant. If another has requested the same name and given it the same order of preference, in such cases a drawing shall be held and the winner of the drawing shall be assigned the name.

c.  Each participant, once he or she has been assigned a name through this process, shall be encouraged to research the character or place, make logical inferences where information can not be found, and share such findings and conclusions with the Canary-Trainers at the time they’re ready to report.

d.  Names shall be authorized for use immediately upon assignment.

e.  After the initial assignment of names, others in or who join our group may choose names not already assigned at any time, by mail or at any gathering of the Canary-Trainers.  It shall take effect if there are no objections from other name-holders following an announcement to the others.

f.  This process may be modified or cancelled by group consensus anytime.

For those who would like to participate after the initial group is announced, please submit your selection to John Hudson or Glen Link (unless another person has been so designated by the group) via direct email, the NCT webpage, or at any Notorious Canary-Trainers meeting.

Jan 15, 2023, 8:36:40 AM1/15/23
to john, maxp...@gmail.com, nct...@googlegroups.com, jimbr...@aol.com

#4 in the Rules does state that any names chosen should be from the canon.  That seems clear to me.

Vicki

Christian Neuhaus

Jan 15, 2023, 9:43:38 AM1/15/23
to Notorious Canary Trainers
Matilda Briggs was referenced at the beginning of The Adventure of the Sussex Vampire. He could be 'M. Briggs', which is the French version of Mr. Briggs.

Diane

Jan 15, 2023, 10:01:26 AM1/15/23
to john, maxp...@gmail.com, nct...@googlegroups.com, jimbr...@aol.com
Thanks John!  I wasn’t aware that we had written rules, as this came in during the time I was away from the group, but they seem very straightforward.
Maybe we should put them on the new website?  Or is there a place for them somewhere in the Google Group information?

Diane

On Jan 14, 2023, at 11:35 PM, john <jc_...@hotmail.com> wrote:

<Jez_red_sm.png>

Max Magee

Jan 15, 2023, 10:50:08 AM1/15/23
to Diane, john, Notorious Canary-Trainers, Jim Briggs
Excellent! Thanks all. I concur that the intent is directly Canonical (from one of the primary 60 stories/novels) names, but as Jim pointed out, a case could be made by clever Sherlockians for either Briggs or Mycroft, but I'm glad to have clarification from the group. I'll try to get something out together for the website with current names, an updated in memoriam section, and a copy of those rules (thanks much, John, I think I'd seen those sent around once before—possibly on the old Yahoo! group—but that helps immensely)! If anyone objects to their names being listed, let me know and I can either remove yours or anonymize it.

So I think the clear outcome is that nobody would object to Paul being Canonized as Mycroft Holmes, but there would be objection for a character from one of the spin-offs/parody/Extended Sherlockian Universe properties (Sherringford, Enola, Mr. Briggs come to mind). Excellent news, and thank you for the thoughtful input!

Max

paul.

Jan 15, 2023, 7:04:39 PM1/15/23
to Diane, Max Magee, john, Notorious Canary-Trainers, Jim Briggs
Thank you one and all for the thoughts and input and especially Max for getting the ball rolling.

My wife is truly the smartest woman I have ever met and is tangentially aware of my love for all things Sherlock and the important characters in The Canon. Her response was that this was another  example of how I overthink things. Until I do something stupid and then she says the opposite.  Anyway I decided that unless someone does object Mycroft it is primarily because his description is closest to who I am and my history. It helped that I found out that Mycroft is actually only mentioned in 4 of the sixty gospels of the Canon.

I hope the celebration of The Master's Birthday went well today and I hope I can make it next year to meet you all.
All My Regards-
Mycroft

Max Magee

Feb 16, 2023, 11:56:36 PM2/16/23
to Notorious Canary-Trainers, Johanna Draper Carlson
Well, now that we've got that all settled...

I forgot to circle back and update the document that contains canonical names until I was reminded by Johanna that I had promised to do that a month ago for the website. (It must've been the Guinness at our birthday celebration—or the cake!)

As I attempted to do so today, I discovered, to my chagrin, that Bridget Conley had already claimed the Canonical name of Mycroft Holmes a decade ago. I am fairly certain I haven't met Ms. Conley...

Mycroft Holmes “The Greek Interpreter” Bridget Conley Jan. 6, 2013

I found a person by that name on Facebook in Madison. This is their (rather boss Dr. Strange-inspired) profile picture, to jog folks' memories:
image.png

I hope that she is alive and well today. Presuming that she is, Rule 2 of canonical names likely applies here.

2.  The name chosen under this process shall be kept by the individual as long as the individual provides current contact information to the Canary-Trainers and until the individual either relinquishes such name by choice or death.  Names which have been relinquished may be claimed by another, except that in case of death, the name shall not be reassigned for at least one year.

I see a couple of paths forward for Paul's Canonical name, but I think we should potentially discuss this at this weekend's meeting.

Annoyingly yours,
Max

Bonnie Benson

Feb 17, 2023, 1:06:25 AM2/17/23
to maxp...@gmail.com, Notorious Canary-Trainers, Johanna Draper Carlson
I, too, believe our names should be canonical names. That makes it fun.

And I'm not sure if I'm on the database document. Could someone check?

Thanks,

paul.

Feb 17, 2023, 7:16:18 AM2/17/23
to maxp...@gmail.com, nct...@googlegroups.com, joh...@comicsworthreading.com
Please accept my apologies for starting all this.
I am thinking now maybe my name should be Bumbling Lestrade?

Max-please send me the password for this Sundays ZOOM session.

All My Regards...
The New Nameless Member

john

Feb 17, 2023, 8:55:07 AM2/17/23
to Notorious Canary-Trainers
I will be sending the lists out soon with instructions and suggestions for sending me update information.
  - John