Monthly meeting of NCT

Glen Link

Nov 16, 2022, 2:43:26 AM11/16/22
to Notorious Canary Trainers
This month we will be discussing The Adventure of the Noble Bachelor.  This story was first published by The Strand in April of 1892. Although consumed by Sherlock these days. I didn't take time to do any research.

Our meeting will be held on Sunday, November 20 from 3:00 pm to 4:30 pm at the Fitchburg Public Library. I hope everyone enjoys a lively discussion.

Hansom Cab
a.k.a. Glen Link

Sent from my U.S.Cellular© Smartphone
Get Outlook for Android
20221114_182916.jpg

Max Magee

Nov 16, 2022, 2:59:58 PM11/16/22
to Glen Link, Notorious Canary Trainers
Hey all!

Two new items (and one ongoing below): 1) Today is the open registration day for the BSI weekend events in Manhattan! Go to the BSI Trust website to see the schedule of events and fill out the form (there's also a breakdown of the events on the second page of that form) if you're planning to attend in Manhattan in January 2023—Johanna and I both have bought things and decided to make the most of it, even if things like the Gaslight Gala are not being held this year. 2) As a result of our travels, it would be lovely to schedule our annual Sherlock Holmes Birthday Luncheon on a day that those of us travelling to/from New York would be able to attend (January 8th is the closest Sunday to The Master Detective's "birthday" of January 6th). I recently learned that the BSI alternates their weekends so as not to conflict with the Sherlock Holmes Society of London's Annual Banquet in the House of Commons, London U.K. (they swap first/second Sundays after New Year's Day, each year). Would we be willing to adopt the schedule of that august body so as to allow attendance of our members to both (therefore, we would hold our banquet on Sunday Jan 1tth 2023)?

One ongoing item: I'm looking forward to another in-person meeting. As previously mentioned, if there are any folks who would like to join remotely via Webex, please let me know, as I'll be attending and can set up a Webex session for anyone who wants it (otherwise I won't bother). I'll also bring the omni mic, which seemed to work fairly well, at least for folks at the main table. In the spirit of Glen's missives, here is an info dump in his font. ;-)

Our story this month is The Adventure of the Noble Bachelor. It was first published in England in The Strand Magazine in April 1892 and in the United States the following month (it was also included in the collected The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, published in October 1892). This story is one of those that I (Max) almost always confuse with one or two others—namely SCAN and ILLU at a minimum (plus BOSC sometimes). Folks may remember the story, perhaps, for the image of the soggy wedding dress fished out of the Serpentine (which may as well have been Trafalgar Square Fountain). The story was not one of Doyle's favorites, and generally is one of the lower-rated of those collected in Adventures (it ranked no higher than 31st in any BSI/reader's poll, and generally comes in much lower).

Chronologists disagree on the year the story took place:
  • 9 october 1888 (Jay Finley Christ)
  • 8 october 1886 (William Stuart Baring-Gould)
NOBL has also been adapted only twice in visual media: a 1921 film starring Eille Norwood titled The Noble Bachelor, and again in 1993 as The Eligible Bachelor starring Jeremy Brett. It has also been adapted for radio several times, including once starring Basil Rathbone in either 1933 or 1940 (sources disagree, but I think 1940 is much more likely accurate).

Hans...Er
...ahem,

Max

Max "Magic Jezail Bullet" Magee

"I had remained indoors all day, for the weather had taken a sudden turn to rain, with high autumnal winds, and the jezail bullet which I had brought back in one of my limbs as a relic of my Afghan campaign, throbbed with dull persistency."
Jez_red_sm.png

Max Magee

Nov 17, 2022, 6:34:20 PM11/17/22
to Glen Link, Notorious Canary Trainers
Hello again!

At the request of members wishing to join remotely, there will be a webex session set up and available to join on Sunday:

The Adventure of the Noble Bachelor

3:00 PM Sunday, Nov 20 2022 (UTC-06:00) Central Time (US & Canada)
Recurrence: Occurs the third Sunday of every month

Join information

Meeting link:
https://singlewiresoftware.webex.com/singlewiresoftware/j.php?MTID=ma4468f0fd8f61312bac3a5f3379c5f4c
Meeting number:
2598 372 9533
Password:
SAME, ASK MAX IF YOU NEED THIS
Agenda:
November 20 “The Adventure of the Noble Bachelor” The Strand Magazine, April 1892
December 18 “The Adventure of the Beryl Coronet” The Strand Magazine, May 1892
Join by video system
You can also dial 173.243.2.68 and enter your meeting number.
Join by phone
Access code: 2598 372 9533
Host PIN: 8830

Max Magee

Nov 20, 2022, 4:41:59 PM11/20/22
to Notorious Canary-Trainers
Instead of the
1tth
I was intending to propose Sunday, the 15th of January

Max

On Fri, Nov 18, 2022 at 10:05 AM Max Magee <maxp...@gmail.com> wrote:
Oooo...I kind of love these:
http://www.anagramgenius.com/archive/sirart.html

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle:
Horrors...and a tiny clue
Sound literary anchor

Arthur Ignatius Conan Doyle:
O, a yarn introducing a sleuth?
It's our canny leading author

The Hound of the Baskervilles:
Novel of Baker St. sleuth (he hid)

Sherlock Holmes (Private Detective):
Top crime solver. He tackled thieves

On Fri, Nov 18, 2022 at 9:56 AM Max Magee <maxp...@gmail.com> wrote:
I didn't actually mean to sign my original message as Hans, although that would be a great alias for you Glen, Hans Somcab or somesuch.

Anagrammatically and agrammatically yours,
Mammalian Kimchee

On Fri, Nov 18, 2022 at 9:50 AM john <jc_...@hotmail.com> wrote:
I can hardly wait for our next meet-up to discuss The Adventure of the Bumbling Natural by the great Donan Royal!

Nov 21, 2022, 7:15:51 PM11/21/22
to maxp...@gmail.com, nct...@googlegroups.com

Love anagrams, including these--thanks!

robin stubbs