Some of next year's Holmes-related gatherings

joh...@comicsworthreading.com

Oct 18, 2022, 11:20:57 AM10/18/22
to notorious canary trainers
Most of these, details aren’t available yet, but in case you need to mark your calendars:

Holmes, Doyle, and Friends - Dayton, OH - March 24-25
221BCon - Atlanta - April 14-16
Crew of the Barque Lone Star - Dallas, TX - May 26-27
Holmes in the Heartland - St. Louis - July 28-30

Johanna Draper Carlson
joh...@comicsworthreading.com

Max Magee

Oct 18, 2022, 11:38:38 AM10/18/22
to joh...@comicsworthreading.com, notorious canary trainers
Ooooo. Insider information! :-) Thanks for the reminders and listing—I found some links to websites and resources detailing a bit more about what the cons will be covering and included them below:

The Agra Treasures of Dayton have some additional info on their website about Holmes, Doyle, & Friends:
http://www.agratreasurers.net/holmes--doyle----friends--2023.html

221B Con in Atlanta's website is here:
https://www.221bcon.com/

Two things about the Crew of the Barque Lone Star - they will have their in-person conference May 26-27th, but they also have an online Legion of Zoom conference entitled "The Sitting Zoom at 221b Baker Street" on Sunday, February 19, 2023, at 1 pm Central time. Registration for that is already open:

The best info I could find about the May, in-person conference was the flyer from their FB Page:
https://www.facebook.com/BarqueLoneStar/posts/pfbid0TM6rG2X5QPv1q31mTRJaX3jBUqpKo4hRj571XUnUt2T8utSGv5xtFA71ukBMbpdBl

The Parallel Case of St. Louis is hosting the Holmes in the Heartland con in July:
https://parallelcasestl.wixsite.com/home/holmes-in-the-heartland

Max "Magic Jezail Bullet" Magee

"I sat nursing my wounded leg. I had had a Jezail bullet through it some time before, and, though it did not prevent me from walking, it ached wearily at every change of the weather."
Jez_red_sm.png

Barry Wein

Oct 18, 2022, 12:14:07 PM10/18/22
to Notorious Canary Trainers, Barry Wein
Dear My Esteemed and Notorious Canary Trainers:

I apologize for missing last weekend’s meeting. Unfortunately, I had a severe case of Covid followed by a chaser of a Sinus infection that I contracted at my father’s funeral last month. Good times!

Anyway, I’m very pleased to report that I’m now feeling healthy enough to attend the one-day conference hosted by The Norwegian Explorers this Saturday and look forward to visiting the new Sherlock Holmes exhibition in Minnesota over the weekend.

I’m wondering if others are planning to attend in-person as well. Would love to see some fellow Canary Trainers there!

Also, what is the title for next month’s meeting? Thanks!

Warm regards,

Barry

Max Magee

Oct 18, 2022, 12:26:58 PM10/18/22
to Barry Wein, Notorious Canary Trainers
Hi Barry!

I'm so glad you're feeling better. I'll definitely be there Saturday (with bells on). If you have time, make a trip to the University of Minnesota's Elmer L. Andersen Library and their Sherlockian Collection. Tim Johnson (BSI) is the curator there, and I can't recommend his tour highly enough.

For the next few years, our schedule is proceeding along the publication order of the original stories (I've attached the full schedule below). Therefore, since this past weekend's discussion covered "The Adventure of the Engineer's Thumb," next month on the 20th of November, we'll be covering "The Adventure of the Noble Bachelor."

NOTORIOUS CANARY-TRAINERS CASE STUDY 2022
We are reading the stories in the order of date of first publication. All meetings are
from 3:00 pm to 4:30 pm
January 2 Tentative Date Hold

Sherlock Holmes’ 167th birthday luncheon. Noon, Benvenuto’s Italian Grill,
Fitchburg, 2949 Triverton Pike Drive (near intersection of Fish Hatchery Road
and McKee Road

January 16 Sign of the Four Chapters 7-12. – Lippincott’s Monthly Magazine, Feb. 1890
February 20 “A Scandal in Bohemia” The Strand Magazine, July 1891
March 20 “The Red Headed League” The Strand Magazine, August 1891
April 17 “A Case of Identity” The Strand Magazine, Sept. 1891
May 15 “The Boscombe Valley Mystery” The Strand Magazine, Oct. 1891
June 19 “The Five Orange Pips” The Strand Magazine, Nov. 1891
July 17 “The Man with the Twisted Lip” The Strand Magazine, Dec. 1891
August 21 “The Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle” The Strand Magazine, Jan. 1892
September 18 “The Adventure of the Speckled Band” The Strand Magazine, Feb. 1892
October 16 “The Adventure of the Engineer’s Thumb” The Strand Magazine, Mar. 1892
November 20 “The Adventure of the Noble Bachelor” The Strand Magazine, April 1892
December 18 “The Adventure of the Beryl Coronet” The Strand Magazine, May 1892

Max "Magic Jezail Bullet" Magee

"His left arm has been injured. He holds it in a stiff and unnatural manner."
Jez_red_sm.png

Barry Wein

Oct 18, 2022, 12:55:34 PM10/18/22
to Max Magee, Barry Wein, Notorious Canary Trainers
Hi Max,

Looking forward to it! Thanks for the super helpful info!

Barry