Norwegian Explorers Dinner RSVP and St. John's Bible Opportunity

Max Magee

Nov 16, 2022, 7:29:23 PM11/16/22
to Notorious Canary-Trainers
Hey all,

I wanted to remind folks that the RSVP date to attend the Norwegian Explorers Annual Business dinner is fast approaching (November 30 online, November 28 if paying by check).

If you're interested in an extracurricular activity while you're there, I've gotten confirmation that we will be given a guided tour (autocorrect tried to make that a gilded tour maybe it was divine intervention...maybe it was Steve Jobs' ghost) of the galleries and workshops at Saint John's Abbey, where the Saint John's Bible is on display. There is also a sculpture gallery that sounds interesting as well.

Saint John's Abbey is a Benedictine monastery in Collegeville, MN. It is a little more than an hour northwest of the banquet location in central Minneapolis. The tour will begin at 2:45 Thursday afternoon, December 1, and should leave plenty of time to get checked into hotels and to the cocktail hour

Tom Gottwalt (President of the Norwegian Explorers) happens to know John Ross, the Executive Director of Saint John's Bible Heritage program, and they generously arranged for a student-guided tour for anyone who would like to attend. I mentioned that not all of our members were religious people, but that many of us appreciate great art and the work and process involved in making it, and they have no problem with that.

It was (along with the Queen's Calligrapher) featured on NBC's Today Show

Better quality, quieter(?) video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_DbqZUk26g

I'm interested to see the genuine article in person, as it is pretty big!

Max

Max "Magic Jezail Bullet" Magee

"I would sooner face a Martini bullet myself. Are you game for a six-mile trudge, Watson?...Your leg will stand it?"
Jez_red_sm.png