NSL-77 attempt Saturday morning

Paul Lowell

Nov 1, 2019, 11:01:01 AM11/1/19
to NC Near Space Research
I'm considering a flight tomorrow morning to video the launch of the Antares NG-12 from Wallops Island.

If the launch is still go by 0830 tomorrow, then I'll launch from my home 15min later.   These flights often get scrubbed at the last minute by boats sailing into the restricted areas -- I've been burnt by this before.
The jet stream will be in town, but the path will take it towards Wallops Island, so that's cool.  I'll try to land it at a campsite at Merchants Mill Pond State Park, but it may go into the Dismal Swamp never to be seen again.

Paul Lowell

Nov 3, 2019, 9:08:01 PM11/3/19
to NC Near Space Research
Awesome flight!
My favorite images so far of the Chesapeake!  So far though, I haven't been able to spot the Antares NG-12 flight.   Ended up launching from my home in Apex and then took the kids on a camping trip.  Payload ended up landing about 3 miles from our campsite.  Easy recovery in a soybean field.  So that was cool.

vlcsnap-2019-11-03-20h01m22s16.png

Can you make out Newport News or Cape Charles?

NSL-77 was at about 75,000 feet when NG-12 launched.  I have a lot of great views of that area, but nothing showing up on video.  But the coast from 110,000 feet looked great!

vlcsnap-2019-11-03-20h02m00s156.png

Paul Lowell

Nov 5, 2019, 11:30:26 AM11/5/19
to NC Near Space Research