HABHUB changes

Paul Lowell

Nov 30, 2022, 1:39:41 PM11/30/22
to NC Near Space Research

Some of you have noticed the alerts about our faithful old Habhub website being retired.  Thankfully a team of radio sonde trackers (https://www.patreon.com/sondehub) have picked up the project and stood-up a separate instance of the system.   This includes a version of the site for HAB.  Some new tools have been added and it’s pretty spiffy.  So please change your bookmarks to these new sites:

Flight predictions:            https://predict.sondehub.org/

New Live flight map:       https://amateur.sondehub.org/

This still imports from APRS, but remember to use the balloon icon /O.  There is now a switch to filter out traffic below 1.5km if needed.  It also still imports from WSPRnet and Dave’s LoRa products (use latest code).

Aurora Toennisson

Nov 30, 2022, 4:19:25 PM11/30/22
to ncnea...@googlegroups.com
Oh!  Good to know.  RIP Habhub.

Aurora Toennisson

Rodney Radford

Nov 30, 2022, 4:31:12 PM11/30/22
to ncnea...@googlegroups.com
Paul is probably already aware of this page, but here is a good discussion of what will be missing after HABHUB and possible replacements.

Moving from HABHUB to Sondehub | Dave Akerman

Jim Conrad

Mar 18, 2023, 1:00:46 PM3/18/23
to ncnea...@googlegroups.com
Hi Paul,

Been a while, wondering if you have any upcoming flights planned?

Thanks,
Jim

On Wed, Nov 30, 2022 at 1:39 PM Paul Lowell <pa...@lowell.to> wrote:

Jim Conrad - oceanv...@gmail.com
 757-560-5970 - 757-512-5710 Fax
  Amateur Radio Callsign N4WFP

Paul Lowell

Mar 18, 2023, 4:46:03 PM3/18/23
to NC Near Space Research
I've flown a few under the radar over the past year, but no one has come forward with anything that they wanted to test/fly.  Anyone want to fly anything?

We are still looking for whomever controls the ncnearspace.org domain as we need them to point the domain to the new Google website.

As you can imagine, there has been a lot of traffic over on https://groups.io/g/picoballoon
concerning our around the world flights.  I've received some nice emails from my senators and representative that state that understand what we are doing on the STEM front with our normal latex balloon flights.  But who knows what is going to happen with the around the world flights.

Aurora Toennisson

Mar 18, 2023, 11:36:39 PM3/18/23
to ncnea...@googlegroups.com
I have a plant biology experiment that I want to fly sometime.  I just need to figure out a good way to keep it at the right pressure and temperature range for the duration....

Aurora Toennisson

Jim Conrad

Mar 30, 2023, 12:07:56 PM3/30/23
to ncnea...@googlegroups.com
Paul,

Sorry for the delay in responding work and commuting from MD to NC and back once a week plus chores limits availability. Well since you asked ...

The Raspberry Pi Pico's are readily available with WiFi ($6) so I want to do a flight with a bunch of sensors and live video and real time RF telemetry with onboard logging as a backup. Sensors are temp, pressure, humidity, accel and gyro sensors using the Pico as a flight computer. I've also been playing with the ESP32-CAM modules ($10) which has a number of video modes to include a WiFi live video server (self-contained) that has an external WiFi antenna port . It also has an SDCard slot and can also take stills and save to the SDCard. Both have lots of capability but very light weight. Li-Po Battery back and perhaps a light weight solar panel for doing a bit of charging. And of course an APRS tracker.

I've got most of the components, Picos, ESP32-CAM and sensors. Need to breadboard and test to include checking power budget and thermal constraints. Would need to build a case of some type also, perhaps 3d printed.

Also I looked at the whois for the  ncnearspace.org domain. DNS servers are Google. It has privacy active so the contact info is not readily available;
Registry Admin ID: REDACTED FOR PRIVACY, Admin Name: Contact Privacy Inc. Customer 7151571251

When you try running the customer number on https://contactprivacy.com/ you get "Please use WHOIS Server to obtain contact information for this domain" so it's a catch 22, not sure how to resolve this situation. I thought you were the ncnearspace principal, who started the group?

Let me know what you think of my flight objectives.

..Jim