NSL-89 pico flight underway

Paul Lowell

Apr 11, 2021, 10:17:05 AM4/11/21
to NC Near Space Research
Pico balloon flight was launched from Apex at 0952 today.
I'm experimenting with a solar flight like last years ATW-1 (NSL-79)

APRS:   KD4BFP-6

WSPR:  KD4BFP

The hope is that it will make its way up to Maine and then try to go out over the Atlantic.  Fingers crossed!

Tim Wiwel

Apr 11, 2021, 1:53:38 PM4/11/21
to ncnea...@googlegroups.com
Sweet!!

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 11, 2021, at 10:17 AM, Paul Lowell <pa...@lowell.to> wrote:

Pico balloon flight was launched from Apex at 0952 today.

Paul Lowell

Apr 11, 2021, 2:08:34 PM4/11/21
to NC Near Space Research
Sadly, it looks like the cell has ruptured.  It will probably land in the ocean off of Norfolk shortly...

Tim Wiwel

Apr 11, 2021, 3:08:40 PM4/11/21
to ncnea...@googlegroups.com
Paul, what did you use for the cell?  I see that it went up slowly and came down slowly.  Maybe a slow leak?

Tim

pa...@lowell.to

Apr 11, 2021, 3:10:50 PM4/11/21
to ncnea...@googlegroups.com
It was a 1m mylar Qualatex.
16g payload

Sent from mobile device

Apr 11, 2021, 3:21:56 PM4/11/21
to ncnea...@googlegroups.com
We need to discuss details over a beer...

How filed was the cell?  When we did NSL-79 the cell was barely inflated at launch.   The cell measured something like 6' x 3' flat.  Maybe the pressure at 25k popped a small hole.
Man you did good with 18g.  I believe NSL-79 was 23g.  I need to look back at the logs.