NSL-88 attempt Sunday

Paul Lowell

Apr 3, 2021, 2:35:00 PM4/3/21
to NC Near Space Research
It looks like it is going to be a great day tomorrow, so we may try for a flight.   This will test how the stabilizing wing, like on NSL-87, can help with a larger mass payload.  I'll try a 360-degree camera to document the behavior.  The ground winds start picking up around noon, so we hope to launch well before then.

You can track this on APRS as KD4BFP-11, and over on Habhub.org you should see a Pi-in-the-sky as KD4BFP with live images.

Jim Conrad

Apr 4, 2021, 10:14:58 AM4/4/21
to ncnea...@googlegroups.com
Good Morning Paul,

What time are you planning to launch? HABHUB does not appear to show the balloon has been launched yet.

Thanks,
Jim - N4WFP

On Sat, Apr 3, 2021 at 2:35 PM Paul Lowell <pa...@lowell.to> wrote:
It looks like it is going to be a great day tomorrow, so we may try for a flight.   This will test how the stabilizing wing, like on NSL-87, can help with a larger mass payload.  I'll try a 360-degree camera to document the behavior.  The ground winds start picking up around noon, so we hope to launch well before then.

You can track this on APRS as KD4BFP-11, and over on Habhub.org you should see a Pi-in-the-sky as KD4BFP with live images.

Jim Conrad - oceanv...@gmail.com
 757-560-5970 - 757-512-5710 Fax
  Amateur Radio Callsign N4WFP

pa...@lowell.to

Apr 4, 2021, 10:40:42 AM4/4/21
to ncnea...@googlegroups.com
Lot of problems with equipment this morning.

We finally launched the balloon at 10:30

And almost immediately after one of the transmitters stopped.  So we are just flying on the backup APRS.
Hopefully the other one will wake up at some point.

We are headed down to Spivys Corner for landing just after noon.
It's a beautiful day for a drive.

Sent from mobile device

Apr 4, 2021, 10:52:57 AM4/4/21
to ncnea...@googlegroups.com
I'm in between Sanford and Lillington a couple miles south of 421 so I'll look out for it. I'm in the area for a week, got in last night. Might join in the chase.

Jim Conrad

Apr 4, 2021, 10:56:20 AM4/4/21
to ncnea...@googlegroups.com
I'm not hearing anything on 144.39, you on some other freq, it's close enough that I should hear it?

Jim Conrad

Apr 4, 2021, 11:14:34 AM4/4/21
to ncnea...@googlegroups.com
Heard it

Jim Conrad

Apr 4, 2021, 11:23:20 AM4/4/21
to ncnea...@googlegroups.com
Going to join in your chase .. you on a repeater or .52 for coordination?

pa...@lowell.to

Apr 4, 2021, 11:26:49 AM4/4/21
to ncnea...@googlegroups.com
Please feel free to join us.

I'm using APRS.fi to track.

Our Chase car is also visible on Habhub.org, but that Web page is not updating correctly for me.

Sent from mobile device

Sent: Sunday, April 4, 2021 11:14:21 AM

pa...@lowell.to

Apr 4, 2021, 11:31:00 AM4/4/21
to ncnea...@googlegroups.com
146.52
Or
Sent from mobile device

Sent: Sunday, April 4, 2021 11:23:07 AM

pa...@lowell.to

Apr 4, 2021, 12:02:20 PM4/4/21
to ncnea...@googlegroups.com
Looks like burst at just under 100000'

Sent from mobile device

Sent: Sunday, April 4, 2021 11:23:07 AM

Jim Conrad

Apr 4, 2021, 12:05:30 PM4/4/21
to ncnea...@googlegroups.com

Jim Conrad

Apr 4, 2021, 12:12:45 PM4/4/21
to ncnea...@googlegroups.com
Habhub not updating correctly?

pa...@lowell.to

Apr 4, 2021, 1:14:56 PM4/4/21
to ncnea...@googlegroups.com
Great flight!

Thanks for joining Jim!

Successful recovery in an open field near the road. And a beautiful day as well!

Apr 5, 2021, 5:25:40 PM4/5/21
to NC Near Space Research

The initial write-up is now live at   http://www.ncnearspace.org/missions/nsl-88

This includes 360-degree video!  (okay, its a cheap, low quality camera.  But the payload was mostly in focus).