NASA Competition

Aurora Toennisson

Jun 18, 2019, 12:17:33 PM6/18/19
to NC Near Space Research
If this is too off topic, let me know, and I will remove.  I figure this group consists of a lot of makers and space enthusiasts, so I wanted to do a pitch for a team I'm trying to start:

NASA and Instructibles announced recently that it's hosting a "maker competition" for designing hardware for growing plants on the ISS.  Details are here: https://www.instructables.com/contest/beyondEarth/

 As a biologist who dreams of doing space biology research, I am super excited about it, and I am wanting to start a team to tackle the challenge.  I have extensive horticultural experience in both research labs and on an actual farm.  I'm very, very good at growing plants, and comfortable dealing with irrigation systems and basic carpentry.  I've tinkered some with electronics and micro-controllers, but I'm much more of a beginner at that.  I'm looking for a couple of folks who's skills would compliment mine who are experienced in electronics, fabrication, or other more engineering-related skills.

Would anyone be interested in figuring out better ways to grow plants in space with me?