September Meetup

John Butler

Sep 23, 2011, 3:12:12 AM9/23/11
to ncl.rb
All,

This months meeting is on Tuesday the 27th of September,

Details here thanks to the Philip(s): http://rubynortheast.com/

JB

John Butler

Sep 27, 2011, 2:34:42 AM9/27/11
to ncl.rb
Dont forget this tonight guys!

paulc...@gmail.com

Sep 28, 2011, 5:22:46 AM9/28/11
to ncl...@googlegroups.com
Hi

Some ideas for next time:

* building gems? Has anyone got halfbaked bits of code we can collectively adopt and release as a gem? Eg I have hacked exception notifier to log exception info to basecamp and it would be nice to make it reusable and to get it to link to other management tools.

* refactoring - looking at code analysis tools, and at techniques for improving code. It'd be fun to take real snippets too and discuss how to improve them, eg using better abstractions.

Paul
Sent from Samsung Mobile

Jonty

Sep 28, 2011, 3:38:35 PM9/28/11
to ncl...@googlegroups.com
Both topics would be of great interest to me  as I am not very knowledgeable about either!

Philip Poots

Sep 28, 2011, 3:48:55 PM9/28/11
to ncl...@googlegroups.com
Yep, that would be cool. +1

Damian has an html5 validation gem that he put together a few weeks ago:

Eamon at Sage had a holiday calendar he was working on, that might be able to have wider use:

I am thinking of putting together a gem (Rails plugin) that does liking/+1 functionality that is leaner than what is currently on offer. i.e. without a 1-5 rating, (https://github.com/azabaj/acts_as_rateable) and without a dislike (https://github.com/umerfarooq/acts_as_likeable) and not for loads of types of models (https://github.com/ryanto/acts_as_votable) only for User. Sure I could do it with one of those, but it would be cool to build my own, and keep it in Unix style, do one thing and one thing well.

How do some of those ideas sound?

Philip