November meetup

Lee Irving

Nov 9, 2011, 9:46:43 AM11/9/11
to ncl...@googlegroups.com
Tuesday 22nd November @ the post office, pink lane 6:30pm

Sent from my iPhone

Chris S

Nov 10, 2011, 5:04:03 AM11/10/11
to ncl...@googlegroups.com
This is on a night where I have no other plans - there's a dangerous
chance I'll actually attend for once!

Has there been any thought about topics?

Chris

On 9 November 2011 14:46, Lee Irving <irvi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Tuesday 22nd November @ the post office, pink lane 6:30pm
>
> Sent from my iPhone

Philip Poots

Nov 10, 2011, 9:37:29 AM11/10/11
to ncl.rb
So far it seems we have the controversial topic of Rails Development
on Windows. See the other thread for more of a discussion on that:
http://groups.google.com/group/ncl-rb/browse_thread/thread/e8fc34d5cb1bd65b

Maybe we can have someone talk about homebrew on OSX (or building from
source), package manager on Linux/Ubuntu, Vagrant for cross platform,
RVM, rbenv and other development environment related issues
surrounding ruby & rails dev? Just throwing it out there. It might be
helpful for beginners to get a handle on the different setup
shenanigans.

Philip

On Nov 10, 10:04 am, Chris S <chris.staintho...@gmail.com> wrote:
> This is on a night where I have no other plans - there's a dangerous
> chance I'll actually attend for once!
>
> Has there been any thought about topics?
>
> Chris

Nick Reavill

Nov 10, 2011, 9:49:26 AM11/10/11
to ncl...@googlegroups.com
I'm very much in favour of expanding this to Rails dev environment issues in general. For example, I'm using RVM, but I'd love to hear what people think of rbenv.

Nick
--
Nick Reavill

m. +44 (0)7540 105812
l. uk.linkedin.com/in/nreavill

Need to remember to do stuff: doitidiot.com

Paul Callaghan

Nov 10, 2011, 9:59:40 AM11/10/11
to ncl...@googlegroups.com
if chris is there, then how about haskell for ruby programmers? (-:

Stephen Lloyd-Hirst

Nov 10, 2011, 2:03:35 PM11/10/11
to ncl...@googlegroups.com

I've just in the last few Weeks installed Ubuntu 11.10 from scratch along with setting up entire development environment complete with notes.

Can bring them along and talk about setting up vim with janus. How to use/setup rbenv and hopefully mitigate the pain I went through with a simple just do these steps.