Deploying an app developed in Windows

kai

Dec 3, 2011, 3:55:37 PM12/3/11
to ncl.rb
Hello,

Reporting from the trenches... I have, finally, deployed online the
database app that I'd developed on Windows!

Now that I know I can deploy a working Rails app, at one particular
hosting service anyway (I guess the people at different hosting
providers develop different ways of providing features which you would
do at root-level localhost), I don't think I need to use the virtual
machine generally.

I think the most significant step was when I became aware of the
contents of the Gemfile and Gemfile.lock at both the linux
webhosting machines (which you are given very limited tools to change)
and the Windows localhost (which have some gems that are OS-specific
or not available). Windows developers have to live with these
differences forever. For the time being, if it got annoying enough
when a gem build or install halts, I'ld just delete the entry in the
gemfile and see if app could still work.

Much thanks for being around and helping with clues & encourgaments.

Kai