O'Reilly User Group Member

Philip Poots

Nov 27, 2011, 10:02:04 AM11/27/11
to ncl.rb
Hey all,

After some prompting from Stephen Lloyd-Hirst on Twitter
(https://twitter.com/#!/kingnagaeater/status/121288131696803840)
to join the O'Reilly User Group Programme I'm happy to confirm that
Ruby North East is now a fully fledged member.

This means:

- We will receive review copies of Ruby related books, on the
condition that we post a written review either on our blog or on
Amazon. I'm not sure how often this occurs, looks like a book every
couple of months. I'll bring it along to the meetup and we can fight
over it.

- We receive 40% discount on printed books, and 50% on ebooks,
provided we order from http://www.oreilly.com/store with the discount
code.

Rather than abuse the privilege by posting the discount code on a
publicly available mailing list, if you Direct Message @rubynortheast
it can be sent to you. Otherwise I can send it individually by email
if you request it in the replies to this message.

Philip

James Dean Shepherd

Nov 28, 2011, 4:35:00 PM11/28/11
to ncl...@googlegroups.com
That's pretty cool, I'll keep that in mind for my next book purchase.  If we're writing reviews, will we want to have some kind of basic blog on our new website and, if so, should we try and make it a regular thing where we post at least once a month on something ruby/rails-related, maybe as a result of discussion or talks at the meetings?  I was thinking a 'feed-aggregator' to pull in such posts from rubynortheast bloggers would be nice, but starting simple is best, then we see where we go from there.  What we don't want is for it to dry up and make us look inept/inactive, however!

kai

Nov 29, 2011, 11:22:07 AM11/29/11
to ncl.rb
I bought an OReily book at conference in Sunderland at discount. When
I got home I noticed the unevenness in the print. The discount, kind
of, makes up for the defect. But Amazon's already brought the prce
down to the same level.